Fun things to do in State of Sabah

Manukan entrance
    by ajackaln
  • Flowers in the Rainforest Discovery Center
    Flowers in the Rainforest Discovery...
    by DSwede
  • Things to Do
    by shannsow

Most Viewed Things to Do in State of Sabah

• hanspeter_W.'s Profile Photo

lovely nice town in sabah near to jungle

by hanspeter_W. Written Mar 21, 2011

Sandakan is the second-largest city in Sabah, East Malaysia, on the north-eastern coast of Borneo. It is located on the east coast of the island and it is the administrative centre of Sandakan Division and was the former capital of British North Borneo. Sandakan is known as the gateway for ecotourism destinations in Sabah, such as the Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre, the Rainforest Discovery Centre, Turtle Islands Park, Kinabatangan River and Gomantong Caves

symbol of sandakan harbour of sandakan

• hanspeter_W.'s Profile Photo

visit sepilok orangutan rehabiliton centre

by hanspeter_W. Written Mar 21, 2011

Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre in the Malaysian Sabah District of North Borneo was founded in 1964, to rehabilitate orphan orang utans. The site is 43 sq km of protected land at the edge of Kabili Sepilok Forest Reserve. Today around 60 to 80 orang utans are living free in the reserve.
    during our stay only two orang utan were hungry to come for feeding..but other time you might be more lucky to see those special lovely creatujres

orang utan at sepilok orang tuan at sepilok sepilok rehabilitation centre entrance

SEE TURTLE LAYING EGGS ON SELINGAN ISLAND

IN MORNING WE WERE BROUGHT BY BOAT FROM SANDOKAN HARBOUR TO SELINGAN ISLAND
    AFTERNOON TIME FOR SWIM AND EXPLORE THE SMALL ISLAND..EVEN SAW A BIG LIZARD

AFTER DINNER THE PARK RANGER GAVE SIGNAL TO VIEW HUGE GREEN TURTLE COMING ASHORE TO LAY EGGS. WITNESSED THE EGGS BEING TRANSFERRED TO HATCHERY FROM THE NESTING SITE. THAT NIGHT WERE 11 NESTLINGS AND OVER 700 EGGS. SAW HOW THE PARK RANGER HELPED RELEASE BABY TURTLES ONTO THE SHORE.,, THE ACCOMMODATION WAS PLEASANT EVEN DESCRIBED AS SIMPLE. AND BUFFET FOOD VERY GOOD

EGGY LAYING AT TURTLE ISLAND just born turtles at selingan island just born turtles rushing to sea turtles hatchery at selingan statistics at selingan island

The village

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

Okay, I have to admit it; I couldn't sit still all afternoon and be lazy on the beach. The beach is fun, hahaha, for a little while :-) I guess I am not such a beach person. So in the afternoon I decided to go for a walk around the island.

The village is a quiet and friendly little place. There are not so many houses, and all are surrounded by lots of palm trees. All in all it looked quite picturesque and it was fun to stroll around in here. Most houses were build on poles and had a nice little fence around it to keep all the cattle out of the garden and away from the house.

The village

Friendly kids

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

The most striking thing of the village was its friendly people. Nothing at all here was touristy; I didn't get bothered by anyone, just a curious glance so now and then when I walked around their village. I felt a little bit shy walking here with a camera in my hand. But no one seemed to my mind me being there, they greeted and smiled.

Friendly kids

Fishing net on a fence

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

I saw cows, chickens and all the strange types of fruits in the village. But what this village is really about is fishing! And there are all kinds of signs around to remember you of that fact, like fishing nets hanging over a washing line in the middle of the village.

But not all fishing nets seemed to be cared for just as much, like these ones in the photo. I saw this bundle of nets hanging over and wrapped around this fence. I have to admit I don't know that much about fishing, but it looked like a bit of a mess. Hahaha, a picturesque mess though :-)

Fishing nets on a fence

Fishermen on the beach

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

But visiting the village wasn't the only thing I did. In the late afternoon we had a trip planned to visit the Mangrove Forest on the mainland.

Just before going out on our trip to the Mangrove Forest, these fishermen came home with their catch. It was interesting to watch what kind of fish they caught and see them clean the fish right on the spot. I wonder if I would eat any of these fish tonight :-))

Fishermen on the beach

Mudskippers at the Mangrove Forest

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

The visit to the Mangrove Forest was great. We toured around in some of the canals in this special type of forest, and it was fascinating to see.

The inhabitant I loved seeing the most in this weird mangrove landscape were the Mudskippers. Hahaha, they are so fun! Amazingly enough these 'fish' spend most of their time out of the water. And they can move faster on land than in the water! These fish are not that big, they get about 15-30cm long.

These two fish (click on the picture to see them better) where fighting with each other. They seem to try and make themselves bigger to impress the opponent. All in all a fun thing to watch as it wasn't only these two I saw, but quite a large group of them. So keep a look out for these mudskippes when you visit the mangrove!

Mudskippers

Amazing play of light

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

The sky darkens, the light intensifies and the play of the shadows begins. This is literally the 'quiet befoe the storm'.

We arrived at Libaran and it is a long walk over the jetty. Åke and I both click our cameras ongoing. The light is fascinating; the backlight creates an amazing play of light and dark. This photo, taken by Åke, captures the mood of the moment so well. It is one of my absolute favourites of our trip to Borneo.

Only a few more minutes and the storm started. The rain came down in amazing amounts, but we were home safely in our cottage :-)

The rest of the evening was cosy. We had a delicious meal, accompanied by a good glass of wine. A perfect end to a perfect day. Tomorrow we will be on our way again. Only a short trip this time though. Our destionation will be the neighbouring island of Selingan.

Libaran Island

The Beautiful Under Water World

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

The current was quite strong which made staying close to the boat very difficult. As I am not the 'best' of swimmers, hahaha, and certainly not the 'best' of snorkellers, this was quite worrying. So for a while I just hang on to the boat and looked down, admiring the coral and the many wonderful fish swimming around. This was my first time really looking at the 'Under Water World' and I was amazed by it. So beautiful!

After a while we went back to the beach and did some snorkelling from there. Hahaha, I didn't improve my skills, the water was just as salt here, but at least the current was not as strong :-))

The Beautiful Underwater World

What are these tracks???

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

It made me wonder for a little while what these tracks in the sand were, and suddenly I realized it: the turtles! So fascinating to see, so weird to realize, so wonderful to know!

Here I was walking on the beach seeing all these trails in the sand of the turtles in their attempt to crawl up the beach during night time. And it is not just one trail, they are all over the beach! I saw dozens of them on this little stretch of the beach. At the end of these trails, on top of the hill, there is a big hole, where the turtles have laid there eggs. This was the first sign for me that the turtles are really here.... wow, I got excited about tonight, would I really see a turtle tonight??

Turtle tracks

The hatchery

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

The one real witness that this IS a turtle island is the hatchery. Here is where the turtles eggs are moved too during the night, to keep them save for predators. Rows and rows of these nests are here, a good sign! The more nests, the better is goes with those beautiful turtles!

urtle Island Park is one of the most important turtle breeding spots in South East Asia and has been a turtle conservation area for over 30 years. There are two types of turtles that lay their eggs here: the Green Turtle and the Hawksbill Turtle. The area surrounding the islands are protected and form a safe haven for these turtles. And that is good, as these turtles always return to the same place to lay their eggs: their birthplace.

The Hatchery

Turtle Time!

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

21:25.... A Ranger opens the door to the restaurants and shouts "Turtle Time!!!"..... And it was instant chaos :-) Everyone jumped up from their chairs to get outside as soon as possible, it is turtle time! No shoes allowed in the restaurant, so around 40 pairs of shoes were waiting on the front porch. In the dark it is not an easy task to find your own shoes back, so the chaos was complete :-)

But everyone was laughing, happy, and followed (= almost running) the Ranger onto the beach as quickly as we could. Ooooh, and when I got here I was so overwhelmed! I could sit really close to the turtle, a Green Turtle it was. And look at her, almost touch her. She was busy laying eggs, not taking any notice of everyone around her. I looked at her face, it looked tired from crawling up the beach and laying the eggs, I even imagined seeing a little teardrop in the corner of her eyes. I felt like I invaded her privacy here on her beach.... But oh, what a wonderful moment this was to see this beautiful creature.

Green turtle

Laying eggs

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

You are not allowed on the beach while the turtles are trying to crawl to the top. The presence of so many people might scare them away and the mother-to-be disappear into the sea again. So you will miss part of the 'turtle experience'. But this one moment is wonderful enough, seeing a big sea turtle lay eggs at night.

One by one the eggs 'plop' out in an amazing fast speed. The turtle has dig a whole of about 40 cm deep with the hind flippers and starts laying the eggs.

Green turtle laying eggs

The little ones :-))

by sim1 Updated Feb 24, 2010

But the evening hasn't come to an end yet, we have yet to see the next step in the life cycle of the turtle.... the release of the little turtles on the beach and their race for being first into the sea.

Well, I didn't have a working camera, so no pictures of that, but the next morning our guide 'One' had some stray turtles for us to look at and to hold. They are so cute! And strong! Flapping their flippers with all their strength in a nature born urge to find the sea as soon as possible. They didn't care if I held them or not, all they wanted is to move forward in search of the sea. Hahaha, and that meant I had to keep hold of them quite good! Their strength is really surprising and they will escape from your hands before you know it.

But back to yesterday evening.... the last part was seeing the little turtles released on the beach. But before they do that, you do get a chance to hold one of these cuties. After this 'petting' session we all went to the beach for the turtles to be released. And off they all went racing to the sea. It was a wonderful sight to see! There is no light allowed as this might confuse their sense of direction. Only a few torches of the rangers showed the turtles which way to go. But that was more than enough light to see them race to the sea. It has been a wonderful evening, I don't think I will forget this experience very soon.

Small, but very strong!

27 Reviews - 77 Photos
Papar Hotels
10 Reviews - 65 Photos

Instant Answers: State of Sabah

Comments

State of Sabah Things to Do

Reviews and photos of State of Sabah things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for State of Sabah sightseeing.
Map of State of Sabah