Named after Ranee Margaret, the consort of the Second White Rajah in Sarawak (Rajah Charles Brooke), Fort Margherita was built in 1879 on a hill overlooking the Sarawak River. It was built in the style of a late English renaissance castle.
The fort was well-equipped to protect the capital from riverine invasions as its commands a breathtaking and strategic position along the Sarawak River, with a location chosen to overlook the long stretch of river approaching Kuching.
The three storey tower block's battlement includes watchpoint on top,a courtyard surrounded by a high wall with sharp glass shards inlaid for protection and set into the wall itself are wooden windows from where the cannons were fired. Executions of prisoners were carried out in this court-yard,right up to the Japanese occupation
Fort Margherita has been converted into the Sarawak Police Museum since 1971 and many of its old cannons, cannon balls, guns, pistols, swords and other vestiges of its military are still on display. The armory still exists, as does the condemned prisoners cell.
Fort Margherita is a beautiful English-looking castle built across the Rajang River opposite Kuching downtown.
It was named after a wife of the second White Rajah Charles Brooke. Her name was Ranee Margareth.
Part of the fun is getting into a small boat to get across to the fort. The fort is turned into a military museum and a great place to see across the river into Kuching City.
Well, we could see this imposing building overlooking the Sarawak river, so thought we would go and investigate. We knew it was Fort Margaherita [named after "Ranne Margaret" wife of Rajah Charles Brooke]
It was built in 1879 on a hill overlooking the Sarawak River to protect the capital from river invasions.
The three storey tower block's battlement includes watchpoint on top, a courtyard surrounded by a high wall with sharp glass shards inlaid for protection and set into the wall itself are wooden windows from where the cannons were fired.
Executions of prisoners were carried out in this court-yard, right up to the Japanese occupation.
This is an important historical relic now. We found it a little difficult to find, eventually we did find it after climbing the hill in the Heat! only to find it closed at 4.30pm!
So beware of this early closing time.
This fort was named after Charles Brooke's wife, Ranee Margaret. Now, a Police Museum that keeps all the weapons captured during Brooke's era. Don't forget to bring an ID, as you might need it to enter this museum.
Built by the British raja, Charle Brooke, to protect Kuching from pirates. Now is a police museum with various displays on law enforcement and the World War II occupation by the Japanese. Probably the best reason to make the trip is to view the main part of town across the river from the fort's battlements.
Fort Margherita, Completed in 1879, Fort Margherita resides at a breathtaking and strategic position at the riverside of Sarawak River. It is located a the strategic place due to the historical reason; it was once a defensive structure to protect Kuching from possible attack. At present, Fort Margherita has been converted into a Police Museum and many of its old cannons, cannon balls, guns, pistols, swords and other vestiges of its artillery can still be seen. It can be accessed by road from the other side of the river, which is Petra Jaya, or by 'tambang' boat from Kuching Waterfront.
This square tower was built in 1879. The design is similar to Fort Margherita. It used to serve as a prison, general police purpose and as a dancing hall. Now, it's part of the waterfront. It is located across the Court house.
Fort Margherita is one of the best known landmarks and historical monuments in the city. Located on the north bank of the Sarawak River, it was built by Rajah Charles Brooke in 1879 and named after his wife, Margaret. It was placed on a knoll facing the Kuching Waterfront and was a defence line against pirates. Since the White Rajah's time, it has served as a garrison, armoury, prison, look-out and sentry point. In 1971, it was used as a police museum which wasn't there when I visited in March 2009. Instead, it seems to be devoid of anything but there was a guy there who showed us around and who said that it would be renovated in 2010.
This fort was built in 1879 by Charles Brooke and named after his wife - Margherita. It is a beautiful building and there are lovely views up and down the River Sarawak from its walls.
Its original purpose was to protect Brooke and his family from river pirates.
To reach the fort it is necessary to take a tambang or river ferry, which in itself is an interesting ride,
Fort Margherita, on the Northern bank of the Sarawak River, right opposite the city centre, is part of the colonial historical attractions of Kuching. Built by Charles Brooke as defense against the pirates, actually is not that interesting as attraction itself (the fort is non-remarkable and it houses a non-remarkable Police Museum) but from the terrace you will enjoy very nice views of the city centre and the Sarawak River. You can reach the fort by taking the tambang-shuttle on the city centre riverwalk or, if you are taking a rivercruise on a tambang, ask the sailor to stop by and wait for your visit.
Built in 1879 by the 'White Raja' to guard the city from enemies approaching from the water now houses the Police Museum and there is an orchid garden to enjoy. A new State government building is being built adjacent to the fort, as of Summer, 2006. In my opinion it will ruin the historic atmosphere of the area, but time will tell.
Take a river ferry from behind the Chinese History Museum and it's a 5 minute walk.
On the banks of Sarawak River, high on a small hill is Fort Margherita. Built in the late 1900s, it was initially a post to watch after pirates approaching the city. The fort design was based on the late English Renaissance, and named after Charles Brooke's (2nd White Rajah) wife, Ranee Margaret.
In the present day, Fort Margherita houses the Police Museum where you can find several interesting exhibits, including the infamous "Laughing Skulls"
This fort was built in 1879 to protect Kuching. It was named after Rajah brooke's wife, Margaret. The building is currently closed for renovation.