Old Courthouse, Kuching

4 Reviews

Been here? Rate It!

hide
  • The Old Court House Complex
    The Old Court House Complex
    by Sambawalk
  • Old Courthouse
    by Willettsworld
  • Old Courthouse
    by Willettsworld
  • Willettsworld's Profile Photo

    Old Courthouse

    by Willettsworld Written Aug 22, 2010
    3 more images

    The Old Courthouse lies behind the Brooke Memorial and was built by Sir Charles Brooke, the second Rajah of Sarawak, in 1883. It was built of ironwood and embellished with Sarawak motifs. At the time of its construction, it was intended as government offices and a venue for state ceremonies. Sarawak state council meetings were held here until 1973. The site originally belonged to a missionary house which was torn down in 1858. In its place were two other buildings which were also demolished to make way for the Court House. A historical event took place here on 1 July 1946, when Sir James Brooke, the third White Rajah, ceded Sarawak to Britain as a crown colony. Sarawak's first chief minister, Sir Stephen Kalong Ningkan, was also sworn in here, on 22 July, 1963. Today it houses a tourist office.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

  • Sambawalk's Profile Photo

    The Old Court House Complex

    by Sambawalk Updated May 17, 2009

    2.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Old Court House Complex

    The courthouse is one of the most attractive buildings in Kuching and was built in 1874. It was the scene of many historic events and sittings of the state legislature, the Dewan Undangan Negeri. The Clock Tower and the Charles Brooke Monument were constructed in the vicinity in 1883 and 1924 respectively. Charles Brooke Monument was probably constructed to pay homage to the 2nd white Rajah, Charles Brooke.

    The Old Court House Complex has now turned into the Sarawak Tourism Complex, including the Sarawak Forestry Parks office where you can book teh accommodation to Bako NP and Gunung Dading NP.

    Was this review helpful?

  • zuyao's Profile Photo

    Court House

    by zuyao Written Jan 6, 2009
    1 more image

    The Old Court House of Kuching was built in the 19th century and retains a beautiful colonial charm to it. It presently houses the tourism information office, a museum and a 'Little Lebanon' restaurant.

    You are free to stroll around the compound and snap pictures.

    Was this review helpful?

  • TexasDave's Profile Photo

    Old Courthouse

    by TexasDave Updated Mar 22, 2007

    This is the third courthouse to be built on this site and has been here since 1874. You can get tourist info here and arrange some tours. In the foreground there is a monument to Charles Brooke.

    Related to:
    • Arts and Culture

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Kuching

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

99 travelers online now

Comments

Hotels Near Old Courthouse
4.0 out of 5 stars
290 Opinions
0 miles away
Show Prices
3.5 out of 5 stars
14 Opinions
0.4 miles away
Show Prices
4.0 out of 5 stars
25 Opinions
1.5 miles away
Show Prices

View all Kuching hotels