Taman Negara Nightlife

• anoum's Profile Photo

Night Safari: Now you see it, now you don't

by anoum Updated Jul 6, 2007

Barn owl

Night safari is riding on the back of a 4-wheel drive into an oil palm estate at 9 pm. Costs RM40 per person. On our trip, there were actually only 6 paying passengers but others like the co-partner of NBK Tour and 3 other employees got in too so it was quite a squeeze. Our trip almost got cancelled bec it drizzled. Luckily my friend and I had brought along raincoats so we stayed dry.

All in, we saw a barn owl, a leopard cat, a giant moth, some birds and lots and lots of oil palm trees. Was it worth our money? No, if you count the number of wildlife actually seen but on the other hand, we did see wildlife in its natural surrounding and not in a zoo. I was hoping to see a slow loris but no luck.

Anyway it was fun riding in the back of a 4-wheel drive on the dark, dark road. Even better if you get to sit on the roof of the driver's cab!

Dress Code: Comfy clothing, good walking shoes, insect repellant, raincoat, torchlight.

• Jungle and Rain Forest
    • National/State Park
    • School Holidays

The Canopy Trail, behind Mutiara Hotel: Night Safari in Taman Negara, Malay

by bpacker Updated Dec 29, 2005

Taken with my DSCP70, Sony, Night Shot

Walking around at night in the jungles of Taman Negara, Malaysia is an activity not for the faint-hearted. But once you get around your jitters, you'll discover a whole host of animal life

Alright, this is something like trick or treating in Halloween. You're dressed in clothing you won't normally wear ( anything long to ward off leeches and mossies) and you're paying a visit to someone's residence in the night. If you're lucky, you might get rewarded with a tentalising view of an insect, if not, you'll just step on some elephant poop. Keen? Here's a picture of a stick insect amongst some leaves..

Phototip: This shot is taken with an idoit's camera (on ancient Sony model ) but macro function/night mode was switched on.

Dress Code: Do what you must to repel those damm worms, leeches and mosquitoes. That means long-sleeved tops, pants and lathering yourself with anti-mozzie repellant.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo

Rhumbia Restaurant & other floating Stalls: Chat up a Stranger

by Wild_Orchid Written Aug 3, 2005

quiet evening

The nights can be really quiet at Taman Negara. You can choose to enjoy the peace and quiet and listen to the jungle- but if you find this too boring for you, what else can you do?

My suggestion is this: get on a boat from your resort to the other side of the river and strike up a conversation with other travellers and visitors to Taman Negara. There are quite a number of back-packers and independent travellers from Europe, Singapore and America. Chat them up, and exchange travel stories over a hot cup of teh tarik. If you are hungry, grab a bite of nasi lemak or roti chanai which is available late into the night.

Go on! Chat up a stranger-you never know who you might meet at Taman Negara.LOL

Dress Code: Casual, shorts, t-shirt and a fresh sun-burn.

• National/State Park

Stick Insect: Shots from the Night Safari

by bpacker Updated Jun 6, 2005

Stick Insect, Taman Negara

As I mentioned, the night walk in the virgin jungles of Taman Negara, Malaysia is not for the fainted-hearted. You'll meet all kinds of creepy crawlies..

Here's another stick insect. He's far skinnier than the fat chap I shot earlier on.

Composed on my DSCP70 Sony

Dress Code: Better to put on long pants, you wouldn't want your hairy legs to play host to insects like this.

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Canopy Trail, Taman Negara ( Behind Mutiara Hotel): Big, Bad Wolf at the Night Safari

by bpacker Updated Jun 6, 2005

Wolf? Spider at Taman Negara

What's big, bad, hairy and scary in Taman Negara? Why the Wolf Spider of course . Spider experts, can you correct me if I'm wrong? All I know is that they're typically brown with markings on their legs.

Btw, these excellent pictures are taken by my friend CK on the Panasonic Lumix. The zoom range and lens capacity ( leica ) is way better than mine so here it is, for your viewing pleasure..

Dress Code: Better to put on long pants, you wouldn't want your hairy legs to play host to spiders.

Canopy Trail, Taman Negara: Shots from the Night Safari

by bpacker Updated Jun 5, 2005

Wolf Spider? Tamn Negara

Now, just as I was about to leap across a fallen log, the guide gave another whoop. Needless to say, I nearly got a cardiac arrest when I saw a spider which I very nearly grazed. Eeks, was that another wolf spider with itchy looking marks on the legs?

This shot was composed on my DSCP70 Sony

Dress Code: Better to put on long pants, you wouldn't want your hairy legs to play host to wolf spiders.

Canopy Trail, Taman Negara ( Behind Mutiara Hotel): Shots from the Night Safari

by bpacker Updated Jun 5, 2005

Taken on a Panasonic Lumix

Now, my friends were walking innocently around a tree when our guide gave a big whoop. Stuck on the tree like a bumper sticker to a car was a gigantic spider. Since none of the guys would dare put their palm near the spider, you'll just to take my word that it is helluva big. Can anyone tell me if this is a huntsman spider? I'm no expert on this..

This photograph was taken by CK on a Panasonic Lumix.

• Quero's Profile Photo

Bukit Terasek hiking trail: Night hiking

by Quero Updated Jun 10, 2003

Hanging out and waiting for breakfast

Join one of the guided tours into the jungle for a night hike. As the hike itself is quite a short distance on an easy trail, you may be tempted to save on the expense of the tour, but you won't see much of anything without a guide. Take along your own flashlight/battery powered torch.

If you're lucky, you may see deer and other night foraging animals, and you will almost certainly encounter some tree snakes. Scorpions and spiders, glow-in-the dark plants and fungi are also on the agenda.

The walk takes about an hour at a very leisurely pace, stopping every few feet to investigate some night creature.

Dress Code: Hiking boots.

Instant Answers: Taman Negara

Comments

Taman Negara Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Taman Negara nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Taman Negara sightseeing.