Related Kuala Lumpur Favorites Tips

Most Viewed Favorites in Kuala Lumpur

• zschachwitz's Profile Photo

Kuala Lumpur

by zschachwitz Written Mar 30, 2011

Favorite thing: I was too late for the Petronas Towers as the queue closed about 30 in front of me - so I went to the Menara Telecom Tower instead - a good 360 degree view of the City, (and it wasn't too bad a walk for me, either, from one to the other)

I'm told the Batu Caves are worth a visit, (but I didn't), but might be strenuous.

A two hour train journey took me to Ipoh, where the heritage part of town is fascinating and well worth walking around (*), and the overnight sleeper train to Singapore is something I'd happily repeat.

(*) Elderly? How much so? I didn't have any problems and am 65

• sheherezad's Profile Photo

KLIA airport lounge

by sheherezad Updated Feb 19, 2011

Favorite thing: Take a look at the Plaza Premium Lounge at KLIA at: http://www.malaysiasite.nl/loungeng.htm

I haven't used the one at KLIA but have used the one in SIN to shower/rest after my long haul flight from SFO.

And I purchased the lounge pass online prior to arrival but do check if you can buy them upon arrival..

You can book online via: http://www.plaza-asia.com/#

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Phone System

by Airpunk Written Jan 24, 2011

Favorite thing: Malaysia has a public phone system, but it does not run very well. Many of them are out of order or do not work with prepaid calling cards. I looked up the whole Times Squares shopping mall for a working phone and did not find a single one! Therefore, I would not recommend to rely on Malaysian public phones. If you need to phone back home, better go to one of those calling centres or just buy a prepaid phone card and use it from your hotel.

• putri_jogja's Profile Photo

I prefer Bukit Bintang

by putri_jogja Updated Jan 17, 2011

Favorite thing: For me, i like staying around Bukit Bintang. Plenty hostel and hostel around there. You can check on www.hostelworld.com to find budget hostel or www.agoda.com to check hotel accomodation.

Bukit Bintang is near from MRT, many restaurant, and not far from the sights such as twin tower.

I have never been to Cameron Highland so I can not compare between cameron highland to genting highland. As i know, Genting highland has theme park. But There are many entertaiment spots too. You can check on the website http://www.rwgenting.com/.

Happy traveling

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Monkeys in the city center.

by cachaseiro Written Dec 2, 2010

Favorite thing: One thing that is quite odd to me as a dane is that you have monkeys hanging in the trees in KL and they are wild monkeys.
    I have come across them a few times in the center of town and they surely add to the exoticness of the city for us northern people.

• Photography

• city_guy's Profile Photo

KL to Penang Island

by city_guy Written Sep 13, 2010

Favorite thing: Heya Cathy, KL is best known for shopping and cultural experiences. Honestly, you are better off doing a search on google for what to do in KL. The best possible way to get to Penang Island from KL would be [1] Scenic Rail Route - Taking the train from KL Sentral Station. Journey is about 5-7 hours and you get to see much of the small town and village life along the way. [2] Self-Drive (Hire a car) and explore your way there. If you drive straight to Penang, it takes about 4-5 hours. If you stop and explore, anywhere from 5-10 hours. [3] Budget Flights (AirAsia or FireFly) via LCCT Airport or Subang Sky Park. Flights are quick, about 40 minutes. [4] Cruise Ship from Port Klang to Penang. Not a popular choice but it is available.

Have a fab time here!

Regards,
    David
    Malaysia Asia

Fondest memory: Honestly, I grew up here. Too much to write.

• kensu's Profile Photo

Reliable Tour Company

by kensu Written Feb 8, 2010

Favorite thing: we used Tour East who are very reputable throughout Asia and you can contact them on e-mail at "tel-kul@toureast.net"; tel: 2710 0108 and street address 10th Floor, Amoda Bldg, 22 Jalan Imbi, KL.
    Hope this helps.

Fondest memory: Looking out of the hotel room window and seeing the Petronas Towers. What a magnificent sight.

• Business Travel
    • Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• cafank's Profile Photo

KL - The Ultimate Guide

by cafank Written Dec 23, 2009

Favorite thing: I loved this book put out by Tourism Malaysia. Had just about all I wanted to know as a first time vsiitor and I get a new one each time I visit.

As well as the usual eating, drinking, tourist info there is a bit of information about KL - suggestions of things to do and best of all a really compact, easy to read street map and rail map.

It may be available at hotels but I have always picked one up at either the airport, Sentral Station or the KL Tourism Centre

Fondest memory: I love the city - no one favourite place but maybe the transport - there's so much and it is so easy to catch a bus or train to wherever you want to go

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

To Buy DVDs in Kuala Lumpur

by cochinjew Written Feb 2, 2009

Favorite thing: Pirated DVDs and also legit DVDs are for sale in a number of stores.. all over the town.. if you are going to jalan alor for dinner at night, browse at the number of dvd stores lining the street.. even in the suburbs there are lots of DVD outlets.. in the main shopping areas there are legit dvd stores as well. the dvd copied ones (good quality) are about 8 to 10 ringitts..
    As an aside, one of the greatest afeccionados of movies (all sorts) i met was in KL and he gave me a list of his 100 favourite movies of all time.. including many chinese movies not known to me before.. Good Luck and enjoy..

Fondest memory: Brunch at Oriental Hotel.. mm and durian pancakes..

• tanamay's Profile Photo

KL Sentral - Left Baggage

by tanamay Updated Jan 16, 2009

Fondest memory: There is a left baggage section in KL Sentral where you can leave your luggage while you go around KL.

In Dec '08, it cost MYR 2 (one hr), MYR 4 (one day) & MYR 6 (overnight) per bag.

Located near arrival at the back of Subway food stall.

The other half

by robertgaz Written Sep 26, 2008

Favorite thing: As a result of rural migration, many people have made KL their home in search of work and prosperity. A lot of foreign workers have settled here too for much the same reason.

Many people have found themselves in cramped, noisy neighbourhoods in their endeavours for a better standard of living.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign!

by robertgaz Updated Sep 26, 2008

Favorite thing: On my walking travels wandering around the busy streets of KL, I chanced upon some signs that tickled me pink.

These signs had mixed meanings in my mischievous mind and the last pic really did make me laugh a lot ;~)

When my time has come to pass;
    I'll rest beneath the long green grass.
    And what I'd like to be put in;
    Is in a fine Fook Hin coffin!

~robertgaz~

• Hiking and Walking

MM Adventure Services

by robertgaz Written Sep 5, 2008

Favorite thing: While searching the internet for tour operators in Malaysia to take me and my kids on day excursions I did find quite a few including MM Adventures.

I sent a number of emails to various operators to enquire about their tours and services. Some responded but most failed to adequately answer my many questions except for Michael.

After sending a lot of emails to Michael, the owner of MM Aventures, I made the decision to book three separate day trips from KL including White Water Rafting, Caving, the Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary and the Fireflies at Kuala Selangor.

Michael even called me on the phone at home one Sunday morning to answer some of my many questions.

I made a wise choice in booking because Michael was generous with sharing his wealth of local knowledge and making it easy for us to experience local foods and customs of all the places we visited.

MM Adventure Services will definitely be my choice of tour operator when I return to Malaysia. Check out Michael's website, which he constructed, for the many tours available with MM Adventure Services.

Fondest memory: Michael made many impromptu stops to sample freshly cut fruits in season including the infamous king of fruits, the durian. As well as trying various roti breads with curry dipping sauces washed down with a hot teh tarik, an aerated tea sweetened with condensed milk.

We also made a stop at a roadside stall for some lemang , which is a traditional food cooked in a hollowed bamboo stick lined with banana leaf to prevent the rice from sticking to the bamboo. The bamboo is split while you wait and the moist, firm roll of rice is cut into bite sized pieces and then dipped in tasty sauces not unlike a rendang sauce.

• Adventure Travel
    • Eco-Tourism

• locallady's Profile Photo

Flights

by locallady Written Aug 27, 2008

Favorite thing: Me too we are going into KL in March and July, in the July trip we are set to travel onto Bangkok, these tickets are all booked with Air Asia. Like previous posts have suggested, no charge for flights but you pay the taxes and they all travel in and out of the low cost carrier terminal in KL as opposed to travelling from the main KL International Terminal. Enjoy your travels.

• victorwkf's Profile Photo

Food and shopping at Kuala Lumpur

by victorwkf Updated Aug 1, 2008

Favorite thing: If you enjoy food and shopping, Kuala Lumpur would be the place for you. The people here enjoy their food and there are many restaurants, food courts etc all over the city and at the shopping centres. The local food include Chinese, Malay and Indian food, and the famous restaurants worldwide are all located there (the food is also of very good prices).

As for shopping, there are many big shopping malls in Kuala Lumpur and there are regular big sales going on. The famous brands such as Mango, Zara, Guess, Esprit etc are all located here, so it is really very convenient doing your shopping :)

• Women's Travel

Number Eight Guesthouse
Latest: Mar 31, 2014
Sunway Putra Hotel

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

Comments

Kuala Lumpur Favorites

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kuala Lumpur locals.
Map of Kuala Lumpur