Esquire Kitchen, Kuala Lumpur

by diggingdeep
  • lotaitai's Profile Photo

Esquire Kitchen: Mediocre Cooking

by lotaitai Updated Apr 4, 2011

The dinner I had in this large restaurant was not an enjoyable one. I have hitherto rued my decision to dine there with my brother and his wife .

I ordered sweet and sour pork, fried egg plants and braised home-made Bean curds. All the three dishes were a disappointment. From the texture of the sweet and sour pork, I can tell that the meat had been blanched in hot water first without any marination.It was strong with an unpleasant odour and I could only have one bite of it . Besides, it tasted quite bitter because the meat was 60% burnt from over-frying.The use of vinegar was a mite too much, making the dish unpleasantly sour with only a little sweetness.

The bean curd dish,the second one served, brought more woe to our taste buds. Obviously, the bean curds had been kept in the refrigerator for days before taken directly out for deep-frying. It was unprepossessing with hardly any gravy and a little sprinkle of minced meat. My sister in law complained that they were tasteless and we could not agree more. The third dish -fried egg plants(Yii Xiang Cheah Tze) tasted slightly better. They were sweet, soft but too oily.

More annoyingly, the serving of each dish was too little and the rice was Half-Cooked! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that I had to pay almost RM55 for the mediocre meal on the receipt print-out.

The air-conditioning was weak that night and many diners were smoking. The elderly waitresses were mostly impatient and rude while taking orders save the one attending to us. The one at a neighbouring table was shamelessly rude. She scolded her customers for being indecisive.

Though the 'A-Graded' restaurant is widely known in Malaysia for its delicious food, my experience there tells me that it does not live up to its fame. I wonder if the foods we ate had been prepared by 'apprentice cooks'.

It's better eating fast food and Indian food in Kuala Lumpur. The foods are more reasonably priced, and are more filling.

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Esquire Kitchen: Excellent Chinese in Comfortable Environment

by longsanborn Updated Apr 4, 2011

Esquire Kitchen is an asian restaurant that serves good chinese food in a clean and comfortable environment. There are several branches or franchises around the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor area located mainly in popular shopping malls, to cater to shoppers with hungry stomachs!

The good thing about these restaurants are that they have nice pictures of the dishes in the front of the restaurant and in their Menu, which makes it easy for anyone to order food.

Favorite Dish: The steam bun is excellent to eat with saucy dishes. The stir-fried vegetables with sambal belacan or with garlic are good and yummy.

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Esquire Kitchen: Shanghainese and Sze Chuan home style cuisine

by dragontml Updated Apr 4, 2011

It can be rather crowded during lunch hours, so either, you go a little earlier or later. Sometimes service can be a little slow.

Favorite Dish: Try the tau foo fah. The menu is wide and long...so many choices.

• diggingdeep's Profile Photo

Esquire Kitchen: Noodles

by diggingdeep Updated Aug 5, 2003

Esquire Kitchen has nice bowls of pork rib noodles and pickled vegetable noodles. I like their pork rib noodles. The service here is a little slow as the place is kinda big. Lots of people say this place used to be better and the food quality isnt that nice now, but the crowd is amazing, esp. on weekends.

Favorite Dish: hhmmmm, try their pork noodles.
    Pic shows, my dad's hands : ) and pork noodles, a half eaten paprika chicken( we got hungry while waiting for the rest of the dish), fried Mantao-fried bread(err....dont order mantao) and fried brinjal/eggplant.

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur