Places to eat in Kuala Lumpur

• Restaurants
    by Jeanling
  • Restaurants
    by Jeanling
    Dinner for two, Old China Cafe.
    by IreneMcKay

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kuala Lumpur

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

Saloma Restaurant, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by TrendsetterME Updated Apr 22, 2013

What I like at the Saloma is that also a Culture Show w local dances and dancers r to be seen .... Good to be part of Asian traditions as having ur dinner ...

Its a buffet, very well sorted, soups, satays, sea food, noodles, fried rice etc, and also yummy desserts ....

Located in Golden Triangle and in walking distance to Petronas Towers.

Very recommendable Restaurant for its tasty food and culture dance shows ...

Favorite Dish: All kinds of Far East food, especially satays and shrimps r my favorites ... :)

• Music

• Jeanling's Profile Photo

Rasa Utara, Kuala Lumpur: "Rasa Utara"? Not exactly....

by Jeanling Written Apr 18, 2013

Next door to Starbucks, Rasa Utara were among the few outlets that was opened in the early hours of the day at Berjaya Times Square (well, not that early anyway, it was 9 when we were there). The restaurant was clean and has a nice, quiet ambiance. Patrons can choose to dine indoor or alfresco.

As for the menu, there were not much of choices for breakfast. Available items were mee goreng, lontong (with nasi impit), nasi lemak (with 4 different condiments namely ayam rendang, daging rendang, ayam berempah dan sambal sotong) and roti canai (with 3 different varieties - roti kosong, roti telur dan roti telur dengan bawang). The waiter was kinda ambivalent as well, talking to customers with a straight face rather than the warmth normally exudes from northern folks (well, perhaps he is not from the north, but I am!)

We ordered a "Nasi Lemak dengan Ayam Berempah" and "Nasi Lemak dengan Sambal Sotong". The Ayam Berempah looked and tasted a bit charred. The creaminess and fragrance of the steamed rice could be improved. The sambal lack the distinct "utara" sourish-savory taste with tiny tinge of sweetness; all we can feel is the hotness from ground chili. I would rate the spiciness of the sambal at 4 on my spiciness scale of 1 to 10 - it didn't cause me to sweat or have a runny nose, and for me those are the desirable reactions that I have when having a good sambal!

The presentation of the nasi lemak lacked the generosity that normally goes with the real northern version; I guessed I must have been used to getting generous helping of fried anchovies, peanuts and sambal with my nasi lemak back home. The set were priced at RM6.50 and it came with either kopi, teh tarik, or black tea; quite reasonable for a set brekky in the capital city. Nonetheless, I know I can get a better deal easily in terms of pricing and authenticity of the taste back home.

Perhaps it would not be fair to compare a real "utara" fare with the food being served in a restaurant located in the capital city of Malaysia. But then again, I feel the restaurant must live up to it's northern cuisine branding in order to carry the "rasa utara" (northern taste) name.

• traveller0070's Profile Photo

Lot10 basement food court: All the nice street in a air con place

by traveller0070 Written Mar 8, 2013

Was attracted to the signboard of the food court. Went in and found very nice food stalls. Among them, I do recommend chao guo tiao, popiah, fried Hokkien noodle..etc.. All these in a air con place. But do expect long queue and higher price compare to the non air on street food.

Favorite Dish: Chao guo tiao. Very authentic .

• traveller0070's Profile Photo

Suki-y: All you can eat sukiyaki and shabu shabu

by traveller0070 Written Mar 8, 2013

The price is reasonable for unlimited meat and vege. You can order 2 type of soup based.. Kimchi, sukiyaki or shabu shabu. There's quite aside variety of vege to choose from.

They have softee ice cream too...but I think you can give it a missed. The taste is just not right.

Favorite Dish: Beef and pork, n veges

• stevemt's Profile Photo

Restoran Tok Wan Heritage: Fantastic local restaurant by the Bary Hotel

by stevemt Written Mar 1, 2013

This local restaurant is fantastic.

Wonderful local food, very tasty, and so cheap.

The staff speak english, and are great, and they have an english menu.

Obviously well used by the locals as well.

For a filling fried rice dish, topped with fried egg, a side chicken and veg dish, and large orange juice - less than $3 Aus.

If I was in the area again would be back here for certain.

• SangAji's Profile Photo

Kayu Nasi Kandar Restaurant: Original Kayu Nasi Kandar Roti Tissue

by SangAji Written Dec 5, 2012

Kayu Nasi Kandar Restaurant has grown and offers a wide selection of Indian Muslim dishes originally from Penang.

Favorite Dish: roti tisu at rm8 each....

nibble away on your roti tisu with teh tarik whilst you wait for main dinner...

order teh tarik kosong as roti is already sweetish due sugar coating...

• Business Travel

The Loaf Restaurant Pavillion KL: The Loaf - Nice Pasta

by aussirose Updated Dec 1, 2012

We had been shopping in the huge Pavillion Shopping centre and were starving!

As we walked past this restaurant it looked cosy and quiet and we decided to have lunch here out of the way of the noise and crowds. Turned out to be a great idea.

Although the food was a little on the expensive side, I liked the breads and butter that we were given whilst we waited for our food. That was a nice touch.

We decided to go pasta and it was done el dente! :o) I noticed later that this is actually a bakery so no wonder the bread was awesome! :o)

Hakka Restaurant KL: Hakka Restaurant - Fresh Local Food

by aussirose Updated Dec 1, 2012

We saw this restaurant from our hotel room at the Prince. The colourful fairy lights and hive of activity demanded that we go check it out. Upon arrival the place was packed and you know what that means..... good food! :o)

We were not disappointed, the food was fresh, local and yummy plus the price was very good! Washed down with a couple of coldies (Beer), we came out feeling very satisfied..... and the best bit is the our hotel was just around the corner ;o)

• Beer Tasting

Downstairs at the KLCC: Tastes of Asia

by aussirose Updated Dec 1, 2012

After our skybridge walk, Abbey took us down to the shops underneath and we visited what's called "the food hall" in Australian terminology......a place where you sample cheap authentic cousine.

Abbey bought some local Malaysian food on skewers and we savoured them and a nica cup of coffee.

Thank you so much for everything that you did for us Abbey and the wonderful gifts that you bought for all of our family! xx You are a true treasure!! :o)

• Adventure Travel

Parkroyal Hotel: Breakfast Buffet

by aussirose Updated Dec 1, 2012

Breakky is my favourite when on holidays and buffets are my favourite too....so there's nothing better for me than to tuck into a breakky buffet!! And when daily breakky was included in our 4 night package deal ...... I was sold!! :o)

The one at the Parkroyal had an overload of variety. I liked the omlettes the best, cooked to your taste while you wait.

• Adventure Travel

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Xin Cuisine: The Concorde Hotel

by lmkluque Updated Aug 22, 2012

Xin Cuisine a restaurant at the Concorde Hotel offered a lovely buffet on Father's Day and the food was DELICIOUS. Most of my experience in KL regarding restaurants were the buffets at the better hotels. The day I went to the Concorde for lunch, it was packed with locals treating daddy to a scrumptious meal. The hotel itself seemed very nice and the "air-con" was adequate, but it was the flavor of the food that made the day for me.

Favorite Dish: The buffet wasn't the largest I'd seen, but the flavors were as good as the best I had tried up to that time. I've never eaten duck before and when I adventurously tried it I realized what I had missed. Maybe at other places duck isn't prepared with such mouth watering flavor, but from the taste I experienced, I still wonder why it isn't offered at more places.

Update:

In the course of finding the name of this restaurant inside the Concorde Hotel I also found out that what was served at the Father's Day brunch was Peking Duck. Then I found out that the duck is offered at dinner. This August, 2012 they have a special on the duck at Xin Cuisine, Any party spending at least RM300.00++($84.45 ) on one ticket, can have Peking Duck for RM10.00 ($2.81.) Almost worth the trip over there.

So, my favorite dish at the Concorde is definitely the duck. The Soto Ayam was very good too.

• Business Travel

• HebaM's Profile Photo

legend’s claypot briyani house @ brickfields: unique non tourist area lunch

by HebaM Updated Aug 20, 2012

After I told my Malaysian friend that I love chicken biryani, he immediately told me the he know a place that serve the best chicken biryani in the world! he was right the chicken was delecious and the plate was way big! it also came with banana leaf set we both share it. the ambiance of the restaurant was very nice, it's clean and the service was good and quick and the price was very reasonable! I paid 25 Ringet for one main course and two appetizers and Masala tea.
    the only downside is the location it's located far away from down town in non-tourist area, you'll need a local to take you there.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

HUNGRY AT THE AIRPORT, food hall and free snacks

by davidjo Written Mar 1, 2012

While changing planes at KL's low cost carrier terminal i was short of ringit and found that most of the restaurants at the terminal were too expensive for me, but if you walk out of the departure terminal and turn left you will find a food hall perhaps 200 metres away. Here there is a good selection of Malaysian dishes to choose from and you can easily find a meal for 6 ringit, much better than the fast food joints (there is a KFC here also). Once you have checked through immigration you will find a store offering all kinds of candies, Biscuits, dried fruits, dried squid, nuts and other delicacies for sale. Plates of each are displayed for sampling and one can easily spend 30 minutes here nibbling away should you feel hungry.

• davidjo's Profile Photo

Jalan Alor Street Food

by davidjo Written Feb 27, 2012

Jalan Alor is the place to head for if you are hungry as their are countless street hawkers selling delicious food. We were spoiled for choice and we tried various stands on our few days in KL. There is no shortages of places selling the Thai 'tom yam soup' and also many restaurants with tables outside on the left hand side of the street as you go downhill. Do not forget to try the DURIAN from the fruit stand right at the top of the hill---it was delicious

• Mikebb's Profile Photo

Restoran Meng Kee Grill Fish: Jalan Alor - Night Street Restaurants

by Mikebb Updated Jan 17, 2012

Our group of 13 took the advice of a member who on a previous visit had eaten at the street restaurants on Jalan Alor. A beautiful Asian night setting with the road closed to normal traffic and the street turned into a giant restaurant.

Choice was unlimited with 50 or more restaurants to choose from. They were not proper restaurants as the dining room was a busy road during daylight hours and the Restoran was a small kitchen in a building facing the road.

Everything looked fantastic at night with bright lights, cold beers and any Asian food you desired. My wife and I each had a whole grilled fish, when I asked what type of fish it was the reply was "Monkey Fish". The only monkey was myself!

The rest of our group dined on everything but fish, it was their lucky night. My wife was OK, however for the next 5 days I drank water and once tried to eat a very small bowl of white rice.

Kuala Lumpur Hotels

Parkroyal, Kuala Lumpur
Brisdale Hotel
Latest: Feb 28, 2014

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

Comments

Kuala Lumpur Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kuala Lumpur locals.
Map of Kuala Lumpur