Prego at the Westin, Kuala Lumpur

my Toffee Martini !
    by jenniferchin
  • Prego at the Westin: Authentic Italian Cuisine

by janettay Written Feb 14, 2004

There are 3 types of tables to choose from; you may dine al fresco (especially if it's not too humid), downstairs near the open kitchen (if you aren't opposed to leaving the restaurant with your clothes smelling of food) and upstairs, by the windows with a view of the bright lights and city streets. We were shown to a table in the upstairs in the middle but I requested for a change to the table by the window. .My request was graciously granted and our waiter came shortly with the menus.The dishes on the menu look authentic Italian,which you may think is always a given but not always so in KL.We ordered starters of boiled egg on a bed of mashed potatoes,with sprinkles of truffles, and foie gras and pesto terrine.Both starters,pretty excellent.The boiled egg dish was subtle but exquisite.Next,our main courses were lamb loin and duck breast.I had the lamb which was pretty ordinary (I should've ordered something more "Italian"). The duck,cooked medium well,according to my companion was pleasant and very palatable indeed.Be warned,as most with gourmet restaurants, the servings are pretty small.So we found room to order dessert (pistachio ice-cream) as well as cappuccinos.The cappuccinos were all right,not the best but certainly much better than most restaurants in KL.I neglected to mention the bread,and this is important, I feel, when reviewing a restaurant.Many restaurants despite their reputation still see it fit to serve their unfortunate patrons near-stale bread which shows their lack of attention to detail nor appreciation for the people who eat their food.Prego served fresh, warm bread together with olive oil and vinegar.Simple,yet fulfilling.
    Service was excellent;we had an attentive waiter who was friendly as well as able to recommend the lamb when I could not decide between that or the veal.
    All in all, quite a wonderful experience if you can afford it!

Favorite Dish: We only went there once so I can't really say if I have a favourite dish yet. I will definitely go back, though. The pasta looked good (risotto, always a risky bet, was on the menu and you can be sure that'll be the subject of my review next) and probably worth ordering.I think the dessert menu was a little less exciting but for tiramisu fans out there,they have that with mascarpone sauce.

• Business Travel

• jenniferchin's Profile Photo

PREGO at the Westin: An evening of cool ambience

by jenniferchin Written Nov 30, 2003

my Toffee Martini !

The new chic Italian restaurant, PREGO, located in the Westin, KL. The open-kitchen concept is pretty cool .. its always nice to see the food you are ordering being cooked in front of your eyes :-)

Try dining al fresco ~ the weather was perfect that night and if you have the right choice of table, you can forget that you are right smack in the middle of mad KL !!

Favorite Dish: Have not had dinner there yet but we were there for drinks. I had a lovely Toffee Martini :-) They also have heavenly bread to dip with olive oil & balsamic vineger .. yummmyy !! Service was really good and attentive that night ... maybe it was not too crowded then ?

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

Comments

Hotels Near Prego at the Westin
2.0 out of 5 stars