Trains, Kuala Lumpur

Know about this? Rate It!

• ayn_g's Profile Photo

KTMB Senandung Sutera Train 24

by ayn_g Updated Jul 23, 2011

The 6-hour train ride from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia is safe, smooth, comfortable, and easy. We took the sleeper class. Though the price may be double than that of SG-MY bus/coaches, the train ride is definitely worth the SGD 40. I slept well during the ride... and the sheets and blanket are clean. They even provide plastic bags in case you'll get motion sickness and you need to take "it"all out during the trip.

The train departs from Woodlands Train Checkpoint in Woodlands. To get to Woodlands Train Checkpoint, we took the MRT to Ang Mo Kio station. From Ang Mo Kio, we took another train, the red line of SG MRT to Kranji station. From Kranji, we took the bus with the Woodlands, JB/Larkin signboard. I forgot to take the bus number, I think it was bus 170. You can also ask the driver if the bus stops at Woodlands Train Checkpoint.

It is recommended to book your train seats by emailing callcenter@ktmb.com.my. Indicate the train name and number, passenger names and passport numbers, origin and destination points, and date of departure. You can also purchase online via www.ktmb.com.my. Note that tickets can only be claimed at 'KTMB ticketing office in Woodlands Train Station.

You may also want to read more on SG-MY train at http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

• zschachwitz's Profile Photo

Use the tour bus to the station for tickets

by zschachwitz Updated Jun 3, 2011

once I had actually found the train times, I waited till KL to buy my ticket at the station, (KL Sentraal) in person. And as the station was one of the stops on the sightseeing bus tour, I "hopped off", bought the ticket, (and one for Ipoh as well), and "hopped back on again"

(And the tour bus is worth taking, anyway)

• zschachwitz's Profile Photo

Train KL to Singapore

by zschachwitz Written Jun 3, 2011

I travelled on the overnight sleeper from KL to Singapore last November; personally I thought it was civilised and enjoyable, but that, of course, isn't everybody's idea of fun/pleasure. Cheap as well: as I am over 65, it cost me the equivalent of just over GBP12.00 return. We arrived in SG more or less on time at about 9 a.m.

• bonio's Profile Photo

Train from Singapore

by bonio Updated Apr 4, 2011

An 8 hour train journey up from Singapore for us, the service is operated by Malaysian Railways and operates 2 or 3 times daily.
    We thought it was worth paying the small extra cost for an aircon carriage. Interesting and relaxing journey through mostly jungle and small towns, sure the plane is faster but for me not so enjoyable.
    Arrival is at KL Sentral station.

• travelpug's Profile Photo

Komuter Train

by travelpug Updated Apr 4, 2011

Komuter train at Midvalley station

Komuter train is a train service operated by KTM Berhad (intercity train company). Komuter is good for transporting passengers to places outside of the city. The fare is cheap compared to Monorail and LRT. Tourist day pass is available at RM12. It is valid for an unlimited travel on the KTM Komuter trains for one day to any destination within the KTM Komuter network.

Komuter train has 2 routes:
    Rawang - Seremban
    Sentul - Pelabuhan Klang (Port Klang)

Some useful stations on Komuter services are:
    1. Midvalley - for shopping
    2. Bank Negara - near to city hall and Sultan Abdul Samad Building
    3. Kuala Lumpur - the historical train station of Kuala Lumpur, about 15 minutes walk to Chinatown & Central Market
    4. KL Sentral - Interchange to other train lines, LRT and Monorail
    5. Putra - Walking distance to Putra World Trade Center

• don01's Profile Photo

Lots of companies and trains -common info

by don01 Written Jan 1, 2011

Until I read this post I never thought about the different companies etc
    We were staying near KLsentral and all the stuff seemed to be there and seamless to use.
    We really thought the KL transport and airport links were among the easiest - given we always went back to sentral.
    Check out the travel guides on this site "kuala lumpur /transportation" there are some gems in there
    try www.myrapid.com.my/rail/routes - it seems to put all of them in one package
    (which was how we saw it)
    dare I say it - have a look in your copy of The Lonely Planet, that was really helpful too
    I can recommend the jump on jump off tourist bus as well if you're just being a tourist like us, "doing the sites"

enjoy KL it's a great place to visit and only bring home the great memories
    Don

• ec7843's Profile Photo

Mid Valley to Genting

by ec7843 Written Nov 18, 2010

From Mid Valley take the train to KL Sentral Station (one stop), the Genting Bus Terminal is located at lower gound of Kl sentral.

For pricing & departure schedule refer

• DennyP's Profile Photo

K L USE THE LOCAL RAIL TRANSPORT

by DennyP Updated Sep 17, 2010

FAST METRO SYSTEM

When in Kuala Lumpur (K L ) as the locals call it I found the local train system to be an absolutely practical way to get around anywhere in the city...there is a Metro System that operates regularly , is fast, efficient, clean, and I must say in peak hours ( like everywhere ) gets very crowded...A travel ticket is available for weekly or daily travel...speak to staff at train station..I purchased one and when I was finished using the ticket I simply was refunded the balance..its a great system...not only Metro but Monorail as well...then of course the long distance International Trains are available south to Singapore or north to Bangkok in Thailand.for info on this international train..(SEE MY H.P. TRAVELOGUE AROUND THE WORLD BY TRAIN #2 ASIA).

• cafank's Profile Photo

When is a train not a train?

by cafank Written Dec 23, 2009

KL Monorail

When is a train not a train? When you are in KL and there are three different "trains"!

It took a bit of getting used to but at last I have it. KL has 3 different rail networks: the KL monorail, the LRT - light rail transit and the KTM Komuter.

It was confusing having to go from monorail to LRT to KTM when I wanted to get somewhere but after getting hold of a map ( in The Ultimate Guide) I got it together and founf it easy to get around using these three trains. You can't always get the destination tickety at the station but the staff were great in always telling me where I would need to change and to what line etc.

When going well out into the suburbs or into neighboring states there are also connecting buses.

If you are in KL for some time look at getting a day pass or saver pass on the Komuter.

I found that trains were almost always on time but sould be very, very, full at peak hours.

• Teagz86's Profile Photo

Cab or Train? That is the question ...

by Teagz86 Updated Dec 15, 2009

When weighing up whether to take the train or cab it you should take two things into consideration:
    1. Is it peak hour? Because if it is DON'T take a taxi! Peak hour traffic in KL is horrible. We got stuck in traffic for about an hour once, when honestly it would have taken about 10 minutes to walk.
    2. Do you REALLY know where you're going? If you are a little unsure it might be a good idea to cab it. Taxi's are really cheap in KL, and they will drop you right at your destination. Sometimes it's worth paying the extra couple of ringgit for convenience!

• georeiser's Profile Photo

Train Kuala Lumpur-Singapore

by georeiser Written Jan 24, 2009
    Kuala Lumpur train station

Taking the train in Malaysia is safe, comfortable and cheap. Train is the traditional way to travel between Singapore and Bangkok. My experience with the train from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore was not that great. The train had problems and had to stop 3 hours in the middle of the jungle for maintainance. It took 11 hours to Singapore.

• Adventure Travel

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

Train from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore

by jumpingnorman Updated Sep 26, 2008

I agree with the others - the train ride is safe and you can also have first class reservations where you can have nice clean beds with a wash basin (also on trip from Kuala Lumpur o Thailand)...only thing is that some of the workers on the train may not speak too much English and so you have to do quite a lot of hand gestures and facial communication...have fun!
    Malaysia is of a predominantly Muslim religion, and the people are very friendly and easy to talk with - when they do speak English, they are very understandable with less accent compared to their Thai/Singapore neighbors (generally speaking).

• robertgaz's Profile Photo

People Mover Rapid Transit (PRT)

by robertgaz Written Sep 24, 2008

Stesen KL Sentral

KL's People Mover Rapid Transit (PRT) is a 16km elevated monorail system. The PRT is not integrated with the Ligh rail Transit (LRT) which can mean leaving one system and then walking across the road to another system.

It's a nice way of getting another view of the city as you are elevated over the roads. The tracks run from KL Sentral to Titiwangsa with many stop in between.

An electronic control system allows you to enter and exit via turnstiles. Fares range from RM1.20 to RM2.50.

• cs_zee's Profile Photo

KTM Komuter

by cs_zee Updated Mar 16, 2008
    KTM Komuter

KTM Komuter is a convenient and effcient public transport catering especially to commuters in Kuala Lumpur and the surrounding suburban areas. Passengers can travel to the city without hassle of traffic congestion, rest in the comfort of the air-conditioned coaches while being taken to destination at very reasonable fares

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Overnight to Singapore

by cjg1 Updated Mar 2, 2008

We took the over night train back to Singapore. Lots to say about this experience and honestly not a lot of it is good. But I have suggestions on how to do it and avoid the mistakes I made. On the website for booking the train it is forwards to back 1a, then 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a etc. The 1 a and b are not side by side. So I highly recommend you choose something that would be in the middle.

The rooms are not very big and there is little to no way to make the bed fit two people.

You'll be awakened in the early morning for the boarder ritual upon re-entering Singapore where the lines will be very long and the water in the cars won't be running 30 minutes before that through the rest of the trip. So shower up early.

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur