Safety Tips in Kuala Lumpur

by machomikemd

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Kuala Lumpur

Work with me

by l_joo Updated Apr 12, 2004

Warnings! This is our Prime Minister's slogan, work with me. This is certainly not a classify ad to employ workers around the world. I put up here as a warning otherwise some of you might think he wants to employ workers.

This is definitely a joke. I just want to entertain myself. Pak Lah is doing great, so let's work with him.

Work with me

• xaver's Profile Photo

Japanese toiletts

by xaver Written Nov 19, 2006

I found this toilette in a chinese restaurant, that lately I have been told, was in a Japanese hotel.
    I went to the toilette and when ready to flush, noticed there were two buttons on the left side of the wc, one open and one close.
    I supposed that the open button would flush but when I tried, with my great surprise and without any law of gravity the wc spatthe flush on me, making me wet all over.
    When I got back in the restaurant I looked like I had a shower and lately, I have been told that I opened the bidet effect instead of the flush, which, I still have no idea where it is.

WC

• gnh's Profile Photo

Amusing Signs

by gnh Written Aug 25, 2005

Maybe they're innocent mistakes, but then they could be deliberate jokes !

Beautifully worded signboards abound, especially those with direct translations from Chinese or Malay or Tamil.

Sounds good in their langauge, might sound bad, even vulgar, in yours.

Live and let live !

Ambiguous Signs, Chinatown

• dragontml's Profile Photo

KLCC parking lots

by dragontml Updated Dec 5, 2003

just a reminder, to note the parking floor where you park your car ! there's are 4 floors for parking and if you actually can't remember where your car is park - it's sure going to take you some time to look for it ! and yes, I am talking from experience ! we had to walk all over the 4 different level to find the car and also with the help of the patrol guards ! also, had to pay extra as the time expired for the parking ticket ! next time, I will write down the level and the parking lot #

• Be Careful at Kuala Lumpur International Airport

by apenan Written Feb 4, 2008

BE EXTRA CAREFUL WHILE IN KLIA

Pass it on..... let more people be aware of such things around them.

Recently, a new type of crime has surfaced in town. It goes something like this:- Somebody slips a handphone into your pocket.

Sometimes it could be just a wallet with an identity card and a few ringgit. A few minutes later, the 'owner' comes up and confronts you, the 'thief '. He makes a big commotion that you stole his stuff. You, caught unaware, are then pulled aside by the 'owner' for a settlement. You are intimidated and threatened that if you do not pay up, the police will be brought in. If you pay up, this 'owner' lets you go.

Another strange thing is that there always seems to be a 'witness' to your 'theft'.

I am told this often happens to foreigners at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) or even at LRT trains. Given that you're 'guilty until proven innocent' as far as the Malaysian police are concerned, I understand some poor people are in jail for these 'offences'. At the KLIA, the 'owner' throws his handphone and wallet with the few ringgit notes into the luggage trolley of a just arrived passenger. The drama unfolds a few minutes later. The real culprit has easily convinced our Malaysian police to arrest the real victim (if he has not paid up the 'settlement' demand). This is a very serious matter. This is another form of extortionists operating in broad daylight. They are disgusting criminals who will do anything to rob and steal. The sickening part of the whole scenario is that unless you pay the "quoted settlement" money, they will put you in real trouble by calling the police. The real culprit gets back his handphone and the would be victim ( i.e. could be any one of us) is thrown into the police lock up and charged in court. So do be very careful, otherwise you may end up as a "thief" as you have no way to prove your innocence.

• XenosUK's Profile Photo

Eaten Alive at Bukit Nanas

by XenosUK Written May 3, 2004

Bukit Nanas is a patch of rainforest in the middle of the city, with the KL Tower built on top of the hill.

If you visit the KL Tower and decide to walk back down to the city through Bukit Nanas, make sure you are using plenty of insect repellant. It's a conservation area and the insects are free to do what insects do!

When we visited the Tower, I was wearing heels and so I decided to skip the walk through the forest and got a taxi back to our hotel, but my husband walked it and ended up with literally dozens of bites all over his hands and arms - and he's the sort of person that insects don't normally bother biting!

Tower Entrance Bukit Nanas treetops in background
    • Jungle and Rain Forest

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Photo restrictions at the KLCC shopping center.

by cachaseiro Written Dec 2, 2010

When visiting the Suria KLCC shopping center you should be aware that there are certain restrictions regarding photographing because of security reasons because it´s located in one of the worlds highest buildings and is a potential terrorist target.
    These rules are quite visibly posted so you should be able to find a board that mentions them.
    I saw several people breaking these rules, so i don´t think they are that strict, but i would still recommend that you follow them as it would be a real bummer getting arrested, fined or having your camera equipment confiscated.

• Photography

• Durfun's Profile Photo

Warning re viewing Petronas skydeck..

by Durfun Updated May 4, 2010

The tickets are free, but handed out from 0830 in the morning. There would be queues gathering from 0730! By 0830 there would be on average 100-150 people waiting. There are fixed number of viewings per day, so by around 1130 all tickets would have been given out.

It's first come first served basis, and you can request tickets for more people (even if it's only you in the queue), but you have to specify the time you want to come back, it has to be on the same day.

Viewings are not allowed on Mondays.

You only get a limited field of view, cannot even see KL Towers from the skydeck, so for all round city views go to KL (Menara) Tower at Jalan Ramlee, not far from Petronas.

• Architecture
    • Photography

• city_guy's Profile Photo

In the event of any troubles

by city_guy Updated Jun 3, 2003

You should contact the Tourist Police if you are outdoor around the busy areas when something happends or when you simple need some info

In the picture you can see what they look like. They can be found walking around in pairs usually near the high traffic tourist areas.

And some of these areas, they have little Tourist Police Booths which are also blue and white in color.

How to identify the Tourist Police from the Normal Police:

►Tourist Police wear a chequered blue and white band around their cute little hats.

►Normal Police wear just plain dark blue hats.

►The Malay name for police is Polis.

Tourist Police are ever ready to help the lost traveller in any way possible but in any case, be prepared if they do not speak fluent English. Most of them do speak average English.

☺ ☺

Tourist Police in KL city
    • Business Travel

• lukluk_wal_marjan's Profile Photo

Screaming hot!!!!

by lukluk_wal_marjan Updated Jan 19, 2006

I thought I add this under warning or danger.... LOL

.....and its available in almost all eateries in Malaysia!

Its a warning to those who do not enjoy hot and spicy food. Once tried you may be in danger of screaming out coz there are certain type of the same chillies that can be so hot and spicy.... How used am I to it, sometimes the tears still come out of my eyes...

But dont chicken out, no harm trying... : - P

At least asked the waiter to bring you some light soy sauce and lime to add to the cut chillies. Stir it nicely and have it with the bowl of soup you order. You may asked for more!!!!!!

NOTE: Locals call it as 'cili api' which can be directly translated to 'FIRE CHILLIES'

• ChuckG's Profile Photo

A few

by ChuckG Updated May 14, 2003

First of all, I was very impressed by how welcoming the locals are and how the city feels safe at night. Few advices though:

1) If you see a bunch of young girls in a bar...better stay away from them...there were a lot of gangs looking for unaware tourists...

2) Don't take shortcut to your hotel like I did. I ended up in some backstreets with bordellos and red lights on each side. And if you're on these streets, they will assume that you are a customer so expect a lot of harassment and walk fast !

3) The other comments on the cabs are true. They will charge 10X more than normal unless you agree on a price in advance.

Street corpse

by l_joo Written Dec 6, 2004

This kind of scene is not rare in Kuala Lumpur and probably the whole Peninsular Malaysia. This is a kitten's corpse being wheeled over by tyres many times to form such a shape on the street of Kuala Lumpur. I snap this picture from somewhere nearby Chinatown. Tourists should learn to be very careful when crossing roads.

• vpas's Profile Photo

thefts,taxi drivers and ...

by vpas Updated Sep 13, 2008

While we were in K.L. we were a witness to a chain snatching incident in a bylane of a busy area.It happened in broad daylight and so we became more cautious about going into not so crowded lanes.
    One of the taxis we took from Raja chola station to midvalley mall,charged us double the fare and since it was our first taxi ride we did not know what to expect.But on our return,we were charged half of what we first paid!!Better to check the approximate rate,from the hotel you stay at or someone you know.
    Since we came to K.L. after a trip from Singapore(where laws are very stringent)initially we took safety for granted)While in Singapore,is almost totally safe,it is not so in K.L..This tip is especially for those coming to K.L. after a trip to Singapore

Indecency behaviors

by l_joo Written Dec 6, 2004

Indecency !!! HOLDING HANDS IN PUBLIC !! There was a police case quite recently that a non-Muslim couple got fined by a religious Muslim policeman for holding hands in public at KLCC if I not mistaken. That was a big shock definitely, I don't know what next to the case but was quite heat at one time. This picture is taken from Bintang Walk, they are obviously holding each others' hand. Whenever I saw couple holding hands, it reminds me of that case.

Garbage Curse

by l_joo Written Dec 6, 2004

Garbage Curse is a warning tip I found quite intesresting but malicious. I discovered this message in a location called Setapak in Kuala Lumpur. There was a low cost apartment with many shops in front main road, the message is placed slightLY off public's attention, therefore not many peoples saw it. I went there to have my Dim Sum breakfast and saw the entire scene so unbelievable that many inhabitants actually just bang their garbage there in irresponsible behavior. The owner of the house nearest to the garbage probably couldn't take it anymore to write this message and place it right there. It looked like blood written from far, the message translated to English is....PEOPLES THAT LEAVE GARBAGE HERE DIE THE WHOLE FAMILY !!!

Kuala Lumpur Hotels

Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Dynasty Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Pleasant (2.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

Comments

Kuala Lumpur Warnings and Dangers

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kuala Lumpur locals.
Map of Kuala Lumpur