Taxi Driver Scams, Kuala Lumpur

Know about this?

His broken license plate showed HWD 218?
    by trialerror
    The rogue taxi driver who ripped me off
    by trialerror
    Limousine taxi scam driver escapes!
    by rach_from_Tokyo
  • KL-Boy's Profile Photo

Taxi Touts at KLiA Airport

by KL-Boy Written Mar 15, 2006

Do not entertain any of the illegal airport taxi touts that will approach you as you come out of the arrival gate at KLiA as some might overcharge you when you arrive at your destination or worse.

Just wave them off and proceed to walk to the nearest Airport Limo official counter where you can buy a coupon to use for the Airport Limos. Present the coupon to the taxi hop outside the sliding doors where all the Airport Limos are lining up and he will choose the Airport Limo for you to go into.

• Singles
    • Business Travel

• wonderif's Profile Photo

ugh! those taxi drivers!

by wonderif Written Mar 4, 2004

Seriously, I never got ripped off in vietnam... their meters always worked..... then in a modern place like KL.... ugh

never agree on a price, never listen to them when they tell u their meters don't work, always be exact on ur destination --- Valuable lessons i learnt.

After agreeing on a price from KLCC to swiss garden at 10RM..... the taxi driver on the way there asked for another 5RM complaining about the traffic and it would take him more than an hour and asked that we understand his situation!!!!

in penang, i asked to go to penang hill, not being precise that i wanted to go to the penang hill rail station, the driver took us to the penang bontanic gardens to his waiting friend who offered to drive us up the hill for 80RM (!!!!!) telling us then that the trains don't work and refused to drive us back to georgetown.

• dragontml's Profile Photo

cab drivers

by dragontml Updated Dec 5, 2003

just a note to all locals and tourist, when getting into a cab, make sure that the driver to do meddle with the meter. there is actually a button on the right corner of the meter that actually increases the cab fare. if u notice this, pls. ' sound ' the cab driver.
    also, if the cab driver ask for a flat rate, just take another cab. sometimes these taxi man can take u for a ride and make all sort of excuses !

• mahzan's Profile Photo

KLIA Illegal Taxis

by mahzan Updated Dec 1, 2003

Please make sure to take the approved Airport Limo (in white) at KLIA. Do not take the illegal taxis since they are not insured and the charges are more expensive. Usually the runners will start with 'Psst...taxi sir?', just ignore them and go straight to the Airport Limo counters at the arrival hall.

• valle's Profile Photo

Rip Off

by valle Written Nov 4, 2003

Thanks for the warning I read in Virtual Tourist, before going to Kuala Lumpur, I was able to be on guard against Taxi driver who refuse to use the meter. From the Petronas to my hotel, the taxi driver refused to use the meter so I just got out of the taxi. I got into another taxi, again, this driver refuse to use the meter and was trying to charge me a high fixed rate.

• coceng's Profile Photo

Very True...

by coceng Written Sep 6, 2003

This has been written in many pages on VT. It's very true that be careful with taxi drivers who overcharge the passengers.
    This does not just happen to foreign visitors but to local people like me as well. In Malaysia, we call these taxi drivers as maggots !
    Maggots like to trick passengers by telling them that such & such roads would be high on traffics, so they would take a different routes. Hence, we would pay more than we should.
    Another trick is to turn off the taxi meter if we are not looking, so we wouldn't how much exactly to pay when we reach our destination.
    Another trick is asking us to pay extra when they are not going to your direction, at least they would quote the price first & we are obliged to say no. Normally, passengers would still say yes if the taxis are not easy to get.
    The maggots are everwhere. At the KL Airport; at the Puduraya Bus Station; even sometimes at the taxi stops.
    We can flag a cab by the road side. Tell him your direction & please say "Using Meter". Sit at the front !

• d_Nasution's Profile Photo

Beware When You're Around Puduraya Area

by d_Nasution Written Jan 3, 2003

Please buy your express bus ticket from the counter. If someone offers you a ticket, say no because they will mark it up and maybe the bus company didnt exist at all.

If you hail for a cab, ask them whether they use meter or their own rate and make sure the meter is on. If not, take another cab. Sometimes they can charge you triple price as they know you are a tourist.

Do not use back lane/short cut around Central Market or Puduraya area especially at night and when you travel alone. Drug addicts conquers the lane.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

I Don't Want To Go There

by cheekymarieh Written Jan 1, 2003

It is worth pointing out that many taxi drivers are reluctant to take you anywhere that they deem to be not centrally located during busy periods. They obviously believe that such a journey will earn them less per minute than short trips around the centre.

• cheekymarieh's Profile Photo

Beware Of Taxi Drivers

by cheekymarieh Written Jan 1, 2003

Another point with taxi drivers is to make sure they charge you a fair price for the journey. The taxis outside of Menara Tower seem to be there with the intention of making a quick killing from unsuspecting tourists. When I asked how much a taxi would be to the Petronas Towers they wanted to charge more than I had paid from my hotel to the city centre for a journey that was a fraction of the distance. I ended up just walking between the two landmarks in a short space of time.

If you do take a taxi, make sure that they reset the metre when you get in and take note of the charges that are on the cab windows.

• FluffyDice's Profile Photo

Not exactly a danger, but be...

by FluffyDice Written Aug 26, 2002

Not exactly a danger, but be prepared to be hounded by taxi drivers on leaving the airport. they will chase you in the hope that you'll give in and take them up on their taxi ride. i had one chase me a good 100 metres or more and he was literally running to catch me. it sorta made me feel a little uneasy at first as this was new to me and it just doesn't happen in Australia.

• DunaKal's Profile Photo

Taxi drivers

by DunaKal Written Jun 25, 2004

Taxi

Although most of them are decent enough to turn on the meter,some might try to rip you off by over charging,so either you bargain before you hop into the taxi or simply ask them to turn on the meter.

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

• Mar 18, 2013 at 6:16 AM

There are some taxi driver who are dishonest. Sometimes when picking an airport taxi you must double check the information and the details of the company that you will choose. You need to be more resourceful, search online for you to gather more information.