Please be careful around the tourist areas esp. Merdeka Square and Chinatown. I was walking late at night through a shortcut from Merdeka Square to Chinatown. 2 youths tried to snatch my purse but luckily my bag never broke and they got away with nothing. I was very fortunate since I was not hurt and all they wanted was my purse. I still reported the incident to the police though.
KL is still a fairly safe city compared to some of the other major cities in the world but be careful, use common sense (not like I did :} ) and watch your belongings though. Also, please watch out for the rising amount of drugs esp. around Merdeka Square.
KL is pretty much a safe place and our crime rates arent as high as other major cities. However, do take precaution and be a little more aware of your surrondings. Snatch thieves are pretty common in KL. (i've heard of cases where they come riding in a bike and snatch your bag from behind) Avoid carrying small handbags, it would be better to carry a backpack instead.
Try to avoid walking alone esp. at night, its always better if you have a partner.
Please do be careful when in KL. The petty crime rate is quite high.
When I travel to KL on business, my KL colleagues will always remind me to be careful while on the streets. There are about 10 women in my KL office, and all of them have been victims of snatch thieves. One of them has a very bad injury on her shin to remind her of the theft for the rest of her life.
Do take care.
Not in everywhere in KL. So, you don't have to worry much. Be extra careful when you are in Puduraya Bus Station. This is the main bus station which you can find buses to various destinations throughout Peninsula Malaysia.
Thefts & pick-pockets are rife in this area. Although the police kiosk is just near the entrance, the police is more than helpful to give you the directions as to where to purchase your bus tickets than actually helping you if you have lost belongings.
Please keep your luggage & personal belongings intact to you.
Just an update: Please stay clear of unfamiliar places.
Many people have lost their personal belongings right from the time they arrive at the airport all the way to the hotel rooms.
1. When you arrive, ALWAYS keep an eye on your hand luggage, lap top, cell phone even your check-in bag.
2. When you exit a bus/taxi/train, ALWAYS look behind your seat to see if you left anything behind.
3. [Ladies] When in the city, ALWAYS hold on to your purses/wallets very carefully as snatch theives are around. They operate by foot,motorbikes and even cars.
4. When eating, NEVER leave your cell phone/purse/wallet/pouch on the dining table or empty chair.
5. When at any counter(hotel,mall ect.) NEVER leave your bag unattended. Put it between your feet or simply use it around you.
6. When taking a taxi in KL, ALWAYS make sure the meter is running. If the taxi man refuses to run the meter, politely get out and look for another.
7. When renting a car/van, NEVER leave your personal belongings unattended and ALWAYS lock the doors. There have been cases where a rider on bike will open door and take purse/laptop and ride off.
8. When in bars/clubs, NEVER get too sloshed/drunk. You might wake up minus wallet. [Ladies] Never leave your drink unattended.
9. When you leave your hotel room, NEVER leave your passport or personal belongings there. ALWAYS put it in the hotel reception safe before going out.
10. When bargaining at markets, ALWAYS bargin for something you like but don't make such a silly offer.
Please watch over your valuables and don't leave them unattended. Avoid wearing expensive jewellery when you are strolling around the streets of KL.
Try to avoid buying snacks or desserts from roadside stalls too. You might end up with a bad stomachache. They are not like your regular hotdog stalls.