Theft & Pickpocketing, Kuala Lumpur

Know about this?

Chest stabbed 6 inches below shoulder.
    by DaveRamsay
  • Theft & Pickpocketing
    by gerald.bishop
  • Theft & Pickpocketing
    by gerald.bishop
  • DaveRamsay's Profile Photo

Stabbed THEN Mugged in KL

by DaveRamsay Updated Oct 6, 2013

Chest stabbed 6 inches below shoulder.

On Saturday (5th Oct 2013) we were mugged very near the Hard Rock Cafe. The mode of this mugging was to pull on a bag and when I turned round I was stabbed in the chest with a knife, while turning. This is a stab first rob later mode of attack. At first I thought I had been punched, my friend held onto her bag and I started to assist only to be slashed with the knife across my right arm - that was when I saw blood spraying out my chest I told her to let the bag go as her head/kneck was closest to the knife. The robber fled with the bag. I think we were marked and then surrounded as some of the "local concerned helpers" were actually trying to pull me clear.

I press 80kgs twice a week so my chest muscles reduced the penetration of the blade and it did not pass the rib cage. I think a slimmer person may have suffered a lung puncture and IF on the heart side of the chest a fatal wound.

It took 30 mins to get to a hospital (City Hospital - very happy with the medics there top job). I was lucky to be able to stand in the road to stop a taxi - several passed after seeing blood - and eventually after being rejected at a private hospital I got mediacal attention.

Of note:

No police anywhere in an iffy area (I think they get a cut to stay away), security at the local venues did nothing....
    Very hard to get support people in street or taxis.
    This attack valued life at $1000 it was stab to kill first then grab.
    The tourist police did not ask ANYTHING about the perpetrator of this crime - all they did was produce a report for an insurance claim.... They have no intention of pursuing criminals, no interest.
    As with other posts the tourist police office was a conveyor belt of victims coming in. Of note was a Korean couple who had just been robbed outside the police station 100 meters away, the 6 officers sipping tea seemd not to notice anything worthy of their attention. An NYC man came in 10 minutes later having had his gold chain snatched from his neck - he said he lived in NYC 32 years and this was his first every mugging.

I genuinely feel the police in KL are worse than the criminals because they are ineffective, not present and most likely getting a cut. The politicains are the police masters I wonder how they make so much money.

Malaysia truly Asia (my arse this is a pit of crime)
    KL= Killed by Locals.

This place needs avoiding big time. I have travelled Africa, Yemen, SE Asia for nearly 30 years back packer and 5 star, I am not a squeemish person but I genuinely believe this to be THE most dangerous place I have been due to the vast number of incidents and the frequency of them.... its epidemic.

• Muggings in KL

by Rampage450 Written Aug 19, 2013

Street crime is reaching epidemic proportions in KL. The vast majority of the many expatriates that we know here have been robbed in the street. It is also getting more violent with knives being used increasingly as people are taking precautions and make it more difficult to snatch a bag (short handles, smaller bags etc.). There are certain known (yes - even by the police) hotspots in the centre - mainly what is know as the Golden Triangle area encompassing KLCC, Jalan P. Ramlee, Jalan Sultan Ismail and Bukit Bintang. The visible police presence in these areas is zero. The only time you might see police is when they can use their sirens while escorting fat cat politicians and VIPs (Very Important Parasites) to and from their lunch dates at the Mandarin Oriental hotel. My advice to anyone intending to visit KL is - don't it's not worth the risk and there are far better, and safer, cities to visit in the region.

• gnh's Profile Photo

Beware of Bag Snatchers

by gnh Written Aug 31, 2005

There were many reports of hand-bag snatching in the newspapers some months ago especially when the cases resulted in severe injury or death.

SO be careful, don't be too conspicuous !

I have witnessed a snatch robbery in broad daylight, when a pair of men on a motorcycle came from behind a couple and snatched the bag of the girl who was nearer the road ........ and they boy did nothing ......... too shocked and dumbfounded .........

• Suria KLCC not safe if anything targeted

by fatherof Written Jun 21, 2013

My incident happened in Suria KLCC, at the door that takes you to the fountains in the back in front of the DOME Cafe at around 5:55pm. It was me my wife and our 4 girls ages 7,6,5 and 3. The youngest one was in the stroller which i was pushing. As i got to the door to go out to the fountains/park 3-4 men rushed in front of me and acted like they had changed their mine or didn't know where they were going.The point is that they block the door/exit.Very quickly a crowd formed around me,then i heard my wife say something along the lines of "what are you doing?" apparently a woman pushed her way between me and my wife.While i was turning my head to see what my wife was on about and to tell her to go back because of the men that blocked the exit.I saw a man move through the crowd as if looking for something on the floor next thing i know the man held my leg and started to shake it. I tried to move back away from him but he held on and i didn't have much space to move and still had the stroller in my hands.Few seconds later i'll say 2-3 at the point that the astonishment of what is happening ended and got to the point that i was going to kick him in his head (as it was right there waiting for it and i wish i did it) the man said sorry and ran away.Then like magic the crowd around me disappeared. Money in my pocket was gone, but the good news was my wallet and phone Galaxy s4 was still in my back pockets and my wife and girls were ok.

Now what i find odd about this whole matter. As i said the incident happened in-front of the DOME cafe. 1)There is always a security guard stationed there but when all this was happening he was no where to be seen then i took a walk around the escalators looking for him to report what happened like from no where he appeared where he should have been.
    2)When i told him what happened he was smiling and looked like he didn't care at all.

After writing a report on what happened down in the security office they told me to go to the tourist police to make a report there and so that i can see the CCTV footage.When i got there there were 2 people there already filing reports one of they got the leg shake like me.Then 5 mins later a man walked in who lost him money in KLCC earlier that day but this time on the escalators the person in front of him dropped his water bottle and blocked everyone's way.While i was chatting with him and filing my report another 2 people at least came in.

After filing and printing the report they told me to go back to the security office in KLCC so that i can look at the CCTV footage.What a waste of time the criminals from their movements looked like they knew where the cameras were pointing. And even if they didn't lets just say floor to floor i have more CCTV cameras at home then they do.

Getting you pocket picked is a problem but it can happen, like in crowded places like on trains or buses.But for it to happen in one of the bests malls in KL and right where the security guard should have been and in the manner that it happened. Shows that the authorities have no control of the situation and not only that the criminals do not even fear them if anything it looks like the other way around .

My family and I spent the next 4 days going around with no more then 500MYR in my pocket no wallet no cards not even my phone and my wife with no bag.

So in KL it is good to move with a few friends because if you are faced with a situation like this and you do confront them looks like you are going to have a fight on your hands because as i said above they have no fear of the authorities and they know they have a very good chance they are going to get away with it or wear steel tipped shoes to make that first kick in the head count.So as KL being a family friendly city i give it a zero, never coming back here.

• aussirose's Profile Photo

Beware of Bag Snatchers

by aussirose Updated Dec 1, 2012

Beware of Bag Snatchers KL

Kuala Lumpur is normally a pretty safe place, however just recently there have been a few cases of driveby bag snatchers....... so as usual, it is always good to be aware of this and hold your bag, even if it is over your shoulder.

If walking near the road, a safe practice is to place your bag on the opposite shoulder or make sure your partner is between you, your bag and the roadside.

• dragontml's Profile Photo

Snatch Thiefs !

by dragontml Written Aug 26, 2004

*** Alert !!! ***

Ladies please be CAREFULL with your handbags while walking on streets.
    Pay close attention to motorbikes from behind. They then to ride slowly first and then grabbing your bag and then just scooting off while you would have probably have fallen down and probably hurt from the fall.

Report the incident to the nearest police station.

• diggingdeep's Profile Photo

Beware

by diggingdeep Updated Feb 10, 2004

KL is pretty much a safe place and our crime rates arent as high as other major cities. However, do take precaution and be a little more aware of your surrondings. Snatch thieves are pretty common in KL. (i've heard of cases where they come riding in a bike and snatch your bag from behind) Avoid carrying small handbags, it would be better to carry a backpack instead.
    Try to avoid walking alone esp. at night, its always better if you have a partner.

• MONO RAIL PICK POCKETS

by STARIE Written Feb 7, 2009

My first visit to KL for fifteen years, and it has changed for the worse. I traveled alone on the Mono Rail, when I tried to get off a drunk type male person, kept getting in front of me, stopping me getting off when the doors opened, the next minute another person came close on my other side, then the drunk type, came to life and strode off down the platform, it was only till I looked down on my shorts pocket, I realized they had stolen my wallet, which was even zipped and buttoned down, the police told me that illegals from the PHILIPPINES, where working in gangs on the mono rail, and that many reports where made about the same type of incident as mine, although it is said security guards are on the platform, this was not so on the station I was robbed, on the journey home with Emirates, the cabin staff told me that on any stopover in KL, they are warned not to use the mono rail due to thefts etc, to late for me to find out, so please be careful, its not a nice thing to happen, and this was first time in all my travels, this has happened to me!

• Trains
    • Singles
    • Seniors

• city_guy's Profile Photo

Personal belongings

by city_guy Updated Aug 25, 2003

Chinatown in general

Just an update: Please stay clear of unfamiliar places.

Many people have lost their personal belongings right from the time they arrive at the airport all the way to the hotel rooms.

----------My WARNING----------

1. When you arrive, ALWAYS keep an eye on your hand luggage, lap top, cell phone even your check-in bag.

2. When you exit a bus/taxi/train, ALWAYS look behind your seat to see if you left anything behind.

3. [Ladies] When in the city, ALWAYS hold on to your purses/wallets very carefully as snatch theives are around. They operate by foot,motorbikes and even cars.

4. When eating, NEVER leave your cell phone/purse/wallet/pouch on the dining table or empty chair.

5. When at any counter(hotel,mall ect.) NEVER leave your bag unattended. Put it between your feet or simply use it around you.

6. When taking a taxi in KL, ALWAYS make sure the meter is running. If the taxi man refuses to run the meter, politely get out and look for another.

7. When renting a car/van, NEVER leave your personal belongings unattended and ALWAYS lock the doors. There have been cases where a rider on bike will open door and take purse/laptop and ride off.

8. When in bars/clubs, NEVER get too sloshed/drunk. You might wake up minus wallet. [Ladies] Never leave your drink unattended.

9. When you leave your hotel room, NEVER leave your passport or personal belongings there. ALWAYS put it in the hotel reception safe before going out.

10. When bargaining at markets, ALWAYS bargin for something you like but don't make such a silly offer.

☼

• Business Travel

• PICK POCKET

by zulkifli_mamat Written Dec 8, 2006

1.NEVER CARRY MORE MONEY THAN RM 50 ( USD 10 )
    2.USE A SLING BAG
    3.CARRY MORE MONEY IN YOUR SHOES ( PUT IN YOUR SOCK )
    4.ALWAYS WALK I A GROUP
    5.FRIENDLY WITH OTHER MALAYSIAN
    6.ALWAYS WALK COUNTER WISE
    7.BEWARE WITH THE MOTORIST ESPECIALLY DOUBLE SEAT .
    8.ALWAYS CHAIN YOUR WALLET TO YOUR BODY.
    9.ALWAYS KEEP IN YOUR POCKET PEPPER SPRAY OR ANYTHING CAN IMMOBILIZED THE PICKPOCKET( USE WATER GUN WITH PEPPER POWDER )

LOCATION ; UNKNOWN URBAN AREA

• Trains

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo

Beware of snatch thieves!!

by BorneoGrrl Updated Dec 28, 2005

I'm sad to say that in a friendly country such as Malaysia, crimes do happen in the most vicious way. Many people, especially women and the elderly, have become victims of the notorious snatch thieves and ended up injured and for some even died. These crooks work in pairs on motorcycles, the pillion will snatch bags of unknowing victims off their shoulders or hands as they ride past them, causing injury as they fall and be dragged until the theives get hold of the bags. Be watchful as you walk by the roadsides and don't let your bags just hang over your shoulder. If possible, keep all valuables & cash in a pouch or in your pockets or wear a sling bag / backpack.

• Women's Travel

• trees100ft's Profile Photo

Snatch thieves in KL and PJ

by trees100ft Written Oct 8, 2003

Please do be careful when in KL. The petty crime rate is quite high.

When I travel to KL on business, my KL colleagues will always remind me to be careful while on the streets. There are about 10 women in my KL office, and all of them have been victims of snatch thieves. One of them has a very bad injury on her shin to remind her of the theft for the rest of her life.

Do take care.

• mizzdreyhere's Profile Photo

Avoid crowded public transports!!

by mizzdreyhere Written Jan 23, 2007

Pickpockets are bold in KL city, be alert while boarding public transport (bus, light rail, train...) there are eyes around you watching which pocket you put your valuables in. It is best to put your valuables in a zipped or deep pocket.

Try to avoid taking the public transport during rush hour (8am-9:30am; 6pm-7:30pm) because that is when the public transports get crowded and the pickpockets make their move

While boarding public transport, do be mindful of your bags as well. There are incidents where a snatch thief grabbed a passenger's bag just as the doors of the train was closing and ran off with it. The victim couldn't do anything as the train had already started moving.

So far only the KL monorail has guards stationed at the passenger platform.

• the_wanderlust's Profile Photo

be careful of your things

by the_wanderlust Written May 5, 2008

when shopping in petaling street, take good care of your personal belongings. don't lose sight of your bags and other things. a local warned me about this because some pickpockets roam around the area.

also, when you want to buy things, its good to haggle, haggle and haggle some more but be really really sure you're going to buy those things because you don't want to be in trouble. they'll get angry if you ask for discount and then not buy the item.

• Robbed and beat up next to populated bar area

by estberg Updated Oct 15, 2013

I recently moved into the Angkasa Impian 2 Condominium which is located at the street just behind Changkat in Bukit Bintang, a popular bar area I thought up until now to be safe due to the frequency of people. But last Sunday (Oct 13), as I was walking back to my condo after a night out I was assaulted and robbed by two unknown assailants. I was a bit drunk and texting while walking, so figure I was an easy target (and something I will remember not to do from here on). I just finished texting a friend of mine when suddenly I notice someone running up silently behind me, a second later I get hit in the back of my head. From what I can remember, one of the guys grab me while the other guy continuously punch me in the head and face, resulting in a fractured nose and blood pouring from all over my head, which made me really scared. I get tackled to the ground and the guy who grabbed me holds up something next to me. Not sure if it was a weapon but it didn't look like it, it actually more resembled a bag of drugs. He tells me something in Malay which I don't understand, I just tell them to take whatever they want. They grab my wallet and phone and run off. Unfortunately at this time my head is just spinning and I can't remember how they look or if they used a vehicle. I just try to get as fast as I can to the entrance to alarm the guards. Odd as it seems, they didn't notice anything and yet this all happened less than 10 metres away... So much for security.

A word of warning to tourists and expats visiting the area, Changkat can be a very dangerous area if you're not paying attention. If you've been out drinking, rather take that overpriced taxi than walk home alone.

Instant Answers: Kuala Lumpur

• Oct 13, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Thank You for all your comments, they're very helpful. It is a shame for them but apparently, these are mostly due to the politics. The politicians just don't want to do anything to stop this, and according to some of my friends in Malaysia, these corrupt politicians as well as those under them denied any negatives being said about Malaysia and going as far as claiming it's "The Safest Country in the World". I really had no idea if they were joking or not but Malaysia had the chance to change the whole government which has been ruling Malaysia for more than 50 years, can you believe it? The first reaction I had was "I didn't know Malaysia is a communist or a dictator country" While majority has voted for the opposition in the last election, they just somehow didn't win it, seems like "miracles" happen in Malaysia.

• Oct 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

so please never spend your money in malaysia, advice from citizens

• Oct 11, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Yes, crimes are very rampant in Malaysia nowadays, especially in the cities. Your are considered lucky if you are still alive or unhurt after the incident. The criminals like to stab and snatch, if you are a difficult victim or well built. If you let go of your belonging and gave in, then they will let u go. I am sorry to hear that this happens to tourists too, as they are easy targets. Malaysian police are very busy everyday tending to these cases & I'm sure the statistics is higher than the one reported on any news portal. Kidnapping, raping, snatch theft, mugging. murder.. you name it. So don't aspect them to solve your problems in a day. We always carry something to protect yourself like a pepper spray or an umbrella. If taser are legal here, it would be great. Can't wait to zap them... >;(

• Jun 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM