Related Maldives Favorites Tips

Beautiful shades of blue and turquoise
    by xxsummerstarzxx
  • Favorites
    by erikute3534
    love this friendly chap :)
    by erikute3534

Most Viewed Favorites in Maldives

• best dive sites

by Sunnyside102 Written Jun 1, 2011

Favorite thing: What i would suggest to you is Holiday inn kandooma. this resort is close to one of the greatest dive sites in the Maldives. especially the cave systems.These huge caverns are among the largest and the nicest of all the Maldives' tourists’ atolls. Two big caves close to one another are just 50m from the corner, one at 20m, the other one at 16m, and the latest one is 70m long and has a curly overhang. Inside the pass, there is a cave at about 10m with a hole going all the way to the top reef at 5m. Inside the caves, we will see yellow sponges, seafans, blue soft coral, small tube corals and often giant morays, as well as squirrelfish, and many groupers. Along the reef we should see clown triggerfish, napoleon, sweetlips, and angelfish, and this is a great site to spot many turtles, especially green turtles. There are semi-detached water villas in this resort which sits in a shallow lagoon where you can enjoy the multi-coloured marine life of Maldives. At high tide you can relax in a partially submerged hammock.The very well equipped dive center offers diving activities for all level of divers from beginner to dive master courses as well as many specialty courses.

• Take the Help from a Trip maker & know the culture

by shellycutest Updated Apr 13, 2011

Favorite thing: Water-skiing for this time. Each time I travel to Maldives, I ensure that I do something different. Make sure that you experience water-skiing. Just lovely and exciting!!

Fondest memory: We had our tour-operator to Maldives Live visiting the island with us. They personally took us to all the best places on the islands. Besides, they also assisted us personally with the most exciting activities to do. Sheer fun!

We had a group that did water-skiing. Many of them had never done that before. They were first-timers. And each of them splashed at least 5-6 times in the water. :D All drenched! It was so fun! I am going to come back again!!!!

Yes, be comfortable and just hang out to the best places. Almost everyone who was in Maldives then, had some assistance from one or the other trip maker. My gang was assisted by my tour-operator, so things became a lot more comfy. I am more than happy to be amongst those who have been to Maldives more than 5 times now! :D

Take my suggestion, you need to know about the culture in Maldives. It's important. Take a few light clothes and prepare yourself for your relaxation. Also, take the help of your tour-provider or the hotel you stay in for scuba-diving. Otherwise,you do not need to worry about anything.

• Skiing and Boarding
    • Surfing

• xxsummerstarzxx's Profile Photo

Meeru is one of the larger islands in the Maldives

by xxsummerstarzxx Written Mar 17, 2010

Favorite thing: I have just come back from Meeru and I used to walk around the island every day. It is a fair size and at a gentle stroll you can do a full lap in about 30 minutes I suppose. I used to stop every so often to look at the ocean as the views are so spectacular.

I did a fair bit of research before going to the Maldives and as I recall Kuredo is a little bit bigger. I was happy with Meeru though and think I made a good choice for a first time trip to the Maldives.

I may try another less commercialised island with a better and more accesible house reef one day. I was very dissapointed by the lack of coral and marine life. It certainly is not in any way comparable to the Red Sea which is teaming with brightly coloured coral and fish. I went for a snorkeling holiday and quite simply didnt find it in the least bit exciting. I did enjoy the holiday but found myself lazing around most of the time.

We got a Kayak out one morning and managed to lap the island in 25 minutes though for most it takes about 45 minutes - 1 hour. It is good exercise but OMG it gives you a terrible back ache!

Fondest memory: Rest and relaxation all the way!

I was dissapointed that it was a 10 minute boat ride to the reef as I love to snorkel :(

• Kayaking

• erikute3534's Profile Photo

white sandy beach, blue waters and perfect weather

by erikute3534 Written Jan 15, 2009

Favorite thing: was absolutely perfect, I dont know when again I will have such luxury, beautiful holiday.. but it was beyond my dreams, I still thinking of it and still cant get over it and I dont know when I will :) I would love to go back but afraid to spoil my memories... what if something will go wrong???

Fondest memory: peace, blue water, sunshine, white sand, colorful fish 'kissing' my toes.... IS JUST ALL WAS FANTASTIC!

• Shaha's Profile Photo

Banyan Tree

by Shaha Written Jan 5, 2009

Favorite thing: I'm from Maldives, and I can say we have a great deal of resorts for honeymoons. I'd like to recomend Banayan Tree Resort, which i've been to Last September..
    It's good for honeymoons, as it's not very crowded, unlinke a few budgeted resorts, where you'll find lots of people, and migt ruin your honeymoon..
    Banyan Tree is located in Male Atoll, near capital Male, and takes 1 to 2 hrs to reach, the staff is very friendly..

Lots of water sports are available, and they even have a marine Lab, and have planted a whole ring of corals (they are very environment consciuos).. Snorkeling there, is a must, the underwater reefs are amazing, even though i coudn't swim, they took me to see thier reefs, near to the beach, and it was great..
    They have range of other activities too.. They do feed sting rays, and The food available is good quality..
    One tip about packing..

As it's usually sunny, and in feb, it might rain (rain is pretty common here), pack large range of clothes, including, rainvoats, caps, sunglasses, etc.. Do take own snorkelling gear cos, the gear available for rent is pretty expensive.. And do bring everything u nees, inclusing snacks, water, etc, cos (im pretty ashamed to say this) resorts usually sell them at expensive raes, and try to tip off..
    And try not to buy souveniers in duty free or in resorts, ask resort to arrange trips to nearby islands (local) and so, u'd buy great range of items and save ccosts, cos resorts offer the same ones @ expensive prices.. And take some decent clothes like T shirts which cover your shoulders, and pants which cover your knees while visiting the local islands (maldivians are Muslims, so it's very unethical in local belief), but in resort a bikini is ok..
    TAKE A CAMERA.. It's must, even in the plane, and do take an underwater camera( u don't wanna miss the great shots of lovekly fishes and corals, etc)

I do hope i've helped you, and if u need any more info, please do mail me, i'll be more than glad to help you..
    BTW, Im not a tour guide or anything, I'm just a student in high school.. =D
    Have a great trip..

Fondest memory: I live in Maldives.. =D

• School Holidays

• sory72's Profile Photo

Paradies

by sory72 Written Oct 9, 2008

Favorite thing: Just the right place to go if you need a brake and wand to relax.

Fondest memory: The tranquility and beauty of this part of the world is just unforgettable. I felt beeing in another world. But the most I miss is all the colours out there, the colour of the water, the sun when it hits the sea at night and just everything :-)

Hospital.

by a5floor Written Aug 30, 2008

Favorite thing: On Kuramathi Island there is a small hospital. It is located next to the football field. It is open daily from 11am till 1pm and from 6pm till 8pm. There is also a 24h emergency service.

For diving there is a decompression chamber.

Staff of the resorts.

by a5floor Updated Aug 30, 2008

Favorite thing: Staff off the resorts have different outfits.

Luggage staff:

white shirt, white skirt and white bandage around their head

Restaurant staff:

yellow shirt and white skirt

Bar staff:

white shirt, blue/green vest and white trousers

Gardener/transport staff:

sandy/beige shirt and green shorts

Humans and nature.

by a5floor Written Aug 30, 2008

Favorite thing: Humans and nature, a strange combination. There are people who don't appreciate nature. They are cuttings their initials in plants, throw their carbage on the ground...

Please respect nature and put your carbage in the bins & don't carve into plants.

Rebuilding the rooms.

by a5floor Written Aug 30, 2008

Favorite thing: It happens when the resort has to fix a room. When it happens to be a porch of a waterbungalow, they have a funny construction. It are steel tubes and wooden boards. Put it together with ropes and here is the scaffolding.

Changing weather.

by a5floor Written Aug 30, 2008

Favorite thing: I was in the Maldives in July for 2 weeks. The first week I had brilliant weahter: sun, a few clouds... The 2nd weekend it was really the opposite: lots of showers, grey, hard wind...

It can change all the sudden. Once you are having nice & sunny weather, the next moment the wind is present & it rains. Crazy experience, but I liked the weather of the first week the most.

Arriving on the island.

by a5floor Written Aug 17, 2008

Favorite thing: I arrived at the Rashdoo Atoll around 11.30am. When you arrive there, it is such a great to see the blue water and white sand.

Once the boat is at the landing stage, people from the resort are helping you to get out of the boat. You don't have to look after your luggage. There are people waiting for your luggage. They will bring them to the resort you are staying in.

Fondest memory: Just seeing the blue water and white sand and sun....

• Spa and Resort

• South Africa weather

by richann Written Aug 13, 2008

Favorite thing: Hi there,
    i am from south africa. i too am getting married next year in August, in SA. I must say even though it is winter there, you will still have a wonderful time. Winter is beginning to end at this time. The days are lovely (CAPE TOWN) will be a bit windy but it is still awesome. The nights and early mornings are chilly and that is about all the winter you are going to be experiencing.
    I am guessing you are looking at doing a safari? Well the Kruger Park is warm for most of the year....so if that is something you are looking at, you will not be mistaken.

Hope that helped a bit. We are having the same problem with the Maldives or Thailand.....just not the best time hey?

• DAO's Profile Photo

SANDBARS - THE PERFECT BAECH

by DAO Updated Apr 24, 2008

Favorite thing: When I was flying over the Maldives, I kept noticing huge sand bars, right in the middle of the Indian Ocean. If you could just get a flat boat to one of these places, you would have an absolutely perfect beach. Sun, scenery, nature and tranquillity. Miles and miles from an inhabited island. Take a look at each picture on this tip and relax.

If you are at work, please come back to this tip as many times as you need.

Relax….

• Photography

• DAO's Profile Photo

Malé Island - It's dense!

by DAO Updated Dec 28, 2007

Favorite thing:
    Malé

The name Malé (pronounced: "Maa-lay") is derived from Sanskrit and means ‘big house’ usually indicating the palace of a king. It is one of the largest island in the Maldives, but is only 0.68 sq mi / 1.77 sq km in size! And to make it worse, there are at least 82,000 people living there (just look at my aerial pictures). If you add in 20,000 -30,000 tourists on the island at any one time the densities are around 130-160,000 per square mile (50-55,000 per sq km)! Incredible. The length of the island is 1.05 miles (1.7km) and width of .62 miles (1km). The city taking up virtually the entire landmass and is the world's most densely populated city. Fully 1/3 of the population of the country lives here. It is also the most densely un-bridged island in the world.

Malé is also the political and economic capital of the country. It was originally founded by Portuguese traders in the 1500’s. In order to increase its size, several land reclamation projects have been undertaken to expand the harbour. The airport was re-sited years ago to the adjacent Hulhule Island. Both international flights and seaplane operations for domestic transport now operate here. Just to make matters worse, it is the only official entry point to the whole country, so many foreign and domestic worlers find themselves here on at least a temporary basis. Once you see other islands by air, you fully understand the importance of Malé.

Malé International Airport is on adjacent Hulhule Island which includes a seaplane base for internal transportation. Several have expanded the harbour.

You can find more information here:

MALDIVES TOURISM

9 Reviews - 13 Photos
Ari Faro Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Maldives

Comments

Maldives Favorites

Reviews and photos of Maldives favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maldives sightseeing.
Map of Maldives