Related Maldives Favorites Tips

Beautiful shades of blue and turquoise
    by xxsummerstarzxx
  • Favorites
    by erikute3534
    love this friendly chap :)
    by erikute3534

Most Viewed Favorites in Maldives

• Conflictrealms's Profile Photo

Sunbeds by the pool

by Conflictrealms Written May 10, 2006

Favorite thing: If your the kind of person that likes to laze by the pool and bar, then you may have competition trying to get a sunbed in the morning. There are plenty by the pool, but unfortunatly, although sings are up requesting against it, many people go out early in the mornings to 'reserve' a chair for themselves and put a towel upon it.

Usually I woke up and went for breakfast about 8:20...and after something to eat, there wre a few chairs about to use...However, a couple of days i woke up a bit late and finished breakfast about 9:30, and then all the chairs were gone. So when I went in the pool, I just had to find a shady area to put my bag, shoes and top in.

When we checked out of the hotel, we had an early breakfast at 6:45. We saw a few people clearly just woken up, (and probably planning on sleeping again) wandering over to the pool just to put their towel on.

• Conflictrealms's Profile Photo

Universal Plugs

by Conflictrealms Written May 10, 2006

Favorite thing: At Sun Islans resort, in the Deluxe rooms were 2 plug sockets. I brought a plug adaptor with me to charge up my PSP, but then when i got to the room, i found that in both sockets, were already 2 universal adapters for most countries. You can see from the photo how many different plugs it can take.

When pulling this adaptor out, to see its original plug type, it was exactly the same as the UK, being the 3 square pins. However, when sitting at the bar once, i noticed one of their plugs were the 2 pin types....so it seemed they install whatever they feel like at the time!

The voltage of all the plug sockets is 250V

• nakatcha's Profile Photo

A few of my favourite things!

by nakatcha Updated Apr 21, 2006

Favorite thing: Some people go to the Maldives and don't dive. It's not compulsory. To go and not even SNORKEL is bordering on criminal! Don't just go and lie on the beach. Get in there over the reef edge and feast your eyes!

Fondest memory: "Wedding" -
    Island hopping by helicopter (sitting in the cockpit) -
    Seaplane transfers -
    Watching spinner dolphins by the hundreds -
    Seeing a Manta/sharks/turtles/octopus/cuttlefish/rays/eels while snorkelling -
    Helping turtle hatchlings to the sea -
    Saving a beached flying fish -
    Finding a nest with tiny baby terns in -
    Bat watching -
    Shooting star watching -
    All the fantastic staff we met, who remembered us each time we returned -
    Seeing Zero Degree Atoll play, and Amazon Jade doing Joe Satriani! -
    The old rooms before they went all flash - when everything was charming and simple -
    Old Nakatcha staff - Abdullah, Rama, Noah, Dominic, Anna, Pauline, Hans and Christine -
    Najmie and Athif -
    Every moment in the water -
    Pretty much every moment out of it!

• caprina's Profile Photo

Best Island

by caprina Updated Apr 9, 2006

Favorite thing: frankly speaking I did not know the exact location of maldives prior having a plan going there.. upon check in at the resort i am surprised that based on the fact that 98% of maldives population are muslim.. the staff at the reception also a muslim and guide me on the qiblat (kaabah location) and praying time at maldives.. they even guide us on the halal food (we stay at a resort owned by french group)..

the surrounding is marvellous.. crystal clear sea water.. you dont have to go far to see the fish.. one meter from the beach is sufficient.. you can see small fish.. definitely i will visit maldives again..

• travellerxp's Profile Photo

Exclusive Paradise

by travellerxp Updated Oct 5, 2005

Favorite thing: Maldives gives total privacy to travellers who choose to stay at any of its over 87 resort islands developed with 'one island one resort' concept.

An advance booking of yoyr accommodation would help your 'travelling budget' go further.

The Maldives' top of the range product; excellent facilities; world class service; and the warm hospitality of the Maldivians would make your stay worth what you spent.

• Water Sports

• Dambulla's Profile Photo

On board

by Dambulla Updated Aug 3, 2005

Favorite thing: Probably you will spend your holiday in the same way, when sailing through Maldives: all aroud remember the meaning of...relax, so here a pic of the nomerous break taken in the afternoon: a cup of tea and some delicious biscuit made by our great Chef.
    In the meanwhile...let's move to discover a new place!!

• Sailing and Boating

• weekaiser101's Profile Photo

Learn to Dive

by weekaiser101 Written May 20, 2005

Favorite thing: The Maldives is paradise above the water,when you go under the water you find another world that will stun you even more.
    When you are here you have to take advantage of this once in a lifetime experience and do a dive course.It will cost you around $300-$400 but it is worth it ,if you cant bring yourself to go on the diving courses try the snorkelling course for a few dollars to get you started and see if you can progress you will never regret it.

Fondest memory: The manta rays at manta point is an experience I will remember for the rest of my life

• Choice of Resorts

by mexxgal Written Apr 6, 2005

Favorite thing: If your flight arrives late at night like mine, it would be wise to either spend a night at Male before proceeding to your resort or choose a resort that's not too far from Male. It is not very pleasant to spend > half hr on the speedboat in the middle of the night.

Do note that the seaplane service is not available at night.

• mnath's Profile Photo

Sunsets & Sunrises!

by mnath Written Feb 2, 2005

Favorite thing: After the infection of laziness, which happens after a couple of days - because you don't lift a finger, as the staff wait on you hand and foot - try to rise early for sunrise and you will see some of the most beautiful. There are wonderful sunsets and once a week they organise Sunset drinks on the beach - very romantic!

• mnath's Profile Photo

Island life

by mnath Written Feb 2, 2005

Favorite thing: Makunudu is a more natural island compared to its more 'groomed' neighbours. However, it is well run and the staff are wonderful. Since the Tsunami, there has been very little damage. Some dead coral can be found on the beach, but in the main - it is truly a paradise. The water is clear and warm and the beach is so vast, you hardly see a soul. There are many things to keep you occupied or you can choose to just lie back and enjoy.

Fondest memory: One of my fondest memories was the few evenings we would have in the Sand Bar with guests and staff, playing cards, drinking cocktails and having a great laugh. The only thing is that we never got to bed until after 2.00am! Everyone is so welcoming and helpful and we will not forget the people who work there because we all became friends by the end of the holiday.

• fashionapple's Profile Photo

Friendly and helpful Maldivians

by fashionapple Updated Jan 16, 2005

Favorite thing: I never met so nice and friendly people like Maldivians any where else. They are very helpful and welcome all guests in their country with their lovely smile.

Fondest memory: They greatly respect Pakistan and love Pakistani people. For five times during my stay in Maale they gave me drop on their cars/ motorcycle to my hotel. There are many narrow streets in Maale and hotel was located in centre of city so it was always difficut for me to find it even with the help of map. So whenever i asked any one about location of my hotel, they not only showed me way but also gave me drop.

Some of them were even so kind that they gave me gifts. I got beautiful traditional shirt and handicrafts as gift from them. Very few tourists from Pakistan goes to Maldives. So they were very happy to see me in their country. I love Maldives and her lovely people!!

Island Hopping

by batgirl1001 Updated Dec 9, 2004

Favorite thing: I thought it would be a great idea to do a island-hopping as part of my Maldives experience. After all, it is an island archipelago.

It turned out to be harder than I thought.

The resort wouldn't even let me sail the catamaran on my own, even as I told them, I had the skills. We had to be accompanied by a resort staff.

Not only did he refuse to let us off at any of the other resort islands around Fun Island, the guy even did not want to land on any uninhabited islands or even sandbars. He cited rules and laws.

After the sailing expedition, we went to the hotel and asked if we could do our own private island hopping. The hotel reception staff were even more obscure. They cited rules, regulations and even payment to the local authorities (payment???.....bribes???).

They promised to call the water authorities and arrange for it. We said price was not a problem.

However 1 hour later, dozens of phone calls that lead to nowhere, and sick of waiting at the lounge......we admitted defeat and informed them that we no longer wanted to go island-hopping.

Thereby the lesson: Island-hopping almost impossible, don't try lest you are looking to waste time.

By the way, read in the Lonely Planet, to do so would require a sponsor? What do they mean by sponsor and how to get a sponsor? No details on this..........

Seaplane ride to sightsee

by batgirl1001 Written Dec 8, 2004

Favorite thing: Since island-hopping proved to be a bust, we thought why not try a seaplane ride around the general area.

After all, since Fun Island had only boat transfers (on account of it being just 1.5 hrs from Male), guests didn't really get a chance to see the amazing beauty of the islands from the air.

We enquired from our resort staff who again said that it was hard to do so, not impossible but hard. He gave us a number of a charter company.

We called and the nice lady on the phone told us that it was possible. (HURRAY!!!).

But it would cost us nearly $900 to charter a seaplane for an entire 10 mins ride of the general area. (Waahhhh.....)

This is because the seaplanes were mainly used for transfers to faraway resorts and not flightseeing.

If it were me, I would charge a fair price and promote flightseeing in the Maldives especially for resorts who don't have this facility. I make a bundle.

I was thus quite envious of guests who booked at resorts faraway and need to get air transfers. I presume it is something spectacular to see the Maldives from the air.

Customs at Hulule Airport, Male

by batgirl1001 Written Dec 8, 2004

Favorite thing: Maldives is quite strict on what you can bring into the country. Hence they will almost always check your bags.

No alcohol and nothing which is termed as illegal. The last time I went, it included books, videos and photos which are teemed 'unpermitted'. You decide what you think it means.

The customs officer checked my bags swiftly and thoroughly and even went through the pages of my Tom Clancy novel. I wasn't sure what he was looking for.

If you are caught with alcohol, what can you do really?

If it were me, I would give my most apologetic smile, profess ignorance of the customs law and hand up the banned item.

And if you are thinking of buying alcohol in Male, forget this idea. Nowhere is it sold in Male. You will only find it at the resort islands you are staying on.....and at rip-off prices.

So it is best to just go on an all-inclusive fullboard package to the Maldives which saves up on food and drinks. It may look expensive at first but in the long run, will save you $$$

• fashionapple's Profile Photo

Sit, enjoy & relax at Jumhooree Maidhan

by fashionapple Written Dec 5, 2004

Favorite thing: Jamhooree Maidhan is beautifully laid out with carpet green grass and lush vegetation. Many tourist like to sit there enjoy the sea breeze , relax and drink juices .This place is a nice spot for taking photographs

Fondest memory: Kids like to play here, young people enjoy the weather and old people say "hello" to tourists. There are hundreds of pigeons here. All of them would be coming towards you when you throw them bread. They are very frank and would not mind walking along with you ;-)

Like others I also used to sit there, relax and enjoy the feeling of being in this paradise on earth.

Maldives Hotels

9 Reviews - 13 Photos
Ari Faro Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Maldives

Comments

Maldives Favorites

Reviews and photos of Maldives favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Maldives sightseeing.
Map of Maldives