Harhorin Travel Guide

Harhorin Things to Do

• Black Market

This market is perhaps the best place to find and buy clothes in Harhorin. I was looking for a jacket and I have found it here and for a good price.There are some guanz worth a visit for breakfast and light meals.

• Erdene Zuu Monastery

This monument was the first Buddhist monastery established in Mongolia. It was partly destroyed by the communists in 1937.Em construção!Under construction!

• Views from the Ger camp

We stayed at the Anar Ger Camp which is one of a few located beside the Orkhon River that flows past the town. If you walk to the river you'll get some lovely views of it flowing over a long weir.

• Views from the Mongol Empire Monument

The views of the town and surrounding countryside are pretty good from the monument as you can see by the photos.

• Mongol Empire Monument

This monument lies on top of a small hill that overlooks the town. It was erected in 2006 to mark the 800th anniversary of the founding of the Mongol Empire and shows the three main stages of the empires advancement - its uniting of the Mongol people, the invasion into China under Kublai Khan and the invasion into the Middle East.

• Erdene Zuu Monastery

Erdene Zuu, (meaning "Hundred Treasures"), was the first Buddhist monastery in Mongolia. The monastery was started in 1586 by Abtai Khaan, but wasn't entirely finished until about 300 years later. It had between 60 and 100 temples, about 300 gers were set up inside the walls and, at its height, up to 1000 monks were in residence.Like Karakorum, the...

Harhorin Restaurants

• Huushuur and milk tea

This is not the right place to taste the traditional Mongolian huushhur made with sheep meat. Anyway, they have huusshur with meat and also with sausage. It is a kind of fast food. I tryed both kind and I liked the taste.The ambience and service were good.

• Mongolian Food

We had a great lunch here. To tell you the truth, it was one of my best lunch I had in Mongolia. The food was meat with red pepper served with rice. I can't remember the Mongolian name. As I stayed for a night in this city, I went again to this restaurant to have dinner. At that time I ordered meat with noodles (tsuivan).It is a great restaurant...

• Evening meal followed by performance

This is inside the large restaurant ger on the Anar Ger Camp where I stayed the night in Harhorin. Inside is a huge stove and a large statue of Genghis Khan at one end. I don't remember much about the food we ate here but it was at the same good standards as any other ger camp that we stayed at. In the evening after dinner we watched a musical and...

Harhorin Nightlife

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

In the evening after dinner we watched a musical and contortionist show by the Karakorum Group who played and sung traditional Mongolian songs and music. The songs featured traditional Mongolian instruments and, of course, throat singing. A young, rather too bendy, 12-year old girl performed a contortion act to the music by the group. They were all very good and I think they perform every night whenever tourists are in town. You can by a CD of their music after the show. More photos of them can be found in my travelogues.

Harhorin Transportation

• Avieira67's Profile Photo

by Avieira67 Updated Dec 17, 2014

There is no connection by bus from Harhorin Bus Station to Tsetserleg. You need to wait in the street for the bus coming from Ulaanbaatar Dragon Bus Station to Tsetserleg. I was informed this bus was passing Harhorin about 01:30 PM, as it leaves from the capital at 08:00. I was waiting for it near the bridge, opposite of Harhorin Bus Station.
    I was informed the fare was about 12.500 TG (Octobre 2014), but I really am not sure about it as I travelled with a Mongolian friend who was coming back home.

Bus stop near the bridge

Harhorin Favorites

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

Favorite thing: I stayed in Harhorin during the riots that were taking place in UB following the general election and asked my guide if it was possible to access the internet for more information and to email my mum to say that I was OK. She took us into the town and to this Information Centre which featured a few internet PC's and a bank. There's a sign on the wall saying that the PC's were setup by the Government of India in 2005-06, which was nice of them to do!

Instant Answers: Harhorin

Comments

Explore Deeper into Harhorin
Town views