Harhorin Travel Guide

Inside Erdene Zuu monastery
    by Willettsworld
    Close-up of plots of land
    Town view from Mongol Empire monument

Harhorin Things to Do

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

We stayed at the Anar Ger Camp which is one of a few located beside the Orkhon River that flows past the town. If you walk to the river you'll get some lovely views of it flowing over a long weir.

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

The views of the town and surrounding countryside are pretty good from the monument as you can see by the photos.

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

This monument lies on top of a small hill that overlooks the town. It was erected in 2006 to mark the 800th anniversary of the founding of the Mongol Empire and shows the three main stages of the empires advancement - its uniting of the Mongol people, the invasion into China under Kublai Khan and the invasion into the Middle East.

Harhorin Restaurants

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

This is inside the large restaurant ger on the Anar Ger Camp where I stayed the night in Harhorin. Inside is a huge stove and a large statue of Genghis Khan at one end. I don't remember much about the food we ate here but it was at the same good standards as any other ger camp that we stayed at. In the evening after dinner we watched a musical and contortionist show by the Karakorum Group who played and sung traditional Mongolian songs and music.

Harhorin Nightlife

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

In the evening after dinner we watched a musical and contortionist show by the Karakorum Group who played and sung traditional Mongolian songs and music. The songs featured traditional Mongolian instruments and, of course, throat singing. A young, rather too bendy, 12-year old girl performed a contortion act to the music by the group. They were all very good and I think they perform every night whenever tourists are in town. You can by a CD of their music after the show. More photos of them can be found in my travelogues.

Harhorin Favorites

by Willettsworld Written Sep 26, 2008

Favorite thing: I stayed in Harhorin during the riots that were taking place in UB following the general election and asked my guide if it was possible to access the internet for more information and to email my mum to say that I was OK. She took us into the town and to this Information Centre which featured a few internet PC's and a bank. There's a sign on the wall saying that the PC's were setup by the Government of India in 2005-06, which was nice of them to do!

Instant Answers: Harhorin

Comments

Harhorin Travel Guide
Map of Harhorin