Places to eat in Mongolia

by Avieira67

Most Viewed Restaurants in Mongolia

Tour - 2nd dinner: Meat with rice

by Avieira67 Updated Aug 31, 2015

This family was, perhaps, the most interesting we found on the way. They were very kind and genuine. We were received with some apetizers such as hard yoghurt and cookies, and camel airag. They were cooking the visceras of a sheep, and I tasted the liver and the blood sausage. According to our guide, this kind of food is prepared for special events.
    It was the first time I have tryed camel airag. The taste is more or less the same of the kefir I used to make at home with cow's milk.
    Our meal, meat with rice and vegetables, was more than excellent. All of us, with no exception, loved it!
    It was a night of Full moon, but very cold. The clear sky was crowded of stars.
    In the morning, we had our breakfast along with this family.

• Over60's Profile Photo

Bayanburd Restaurant: Best Hotel Restaurant in Dalanzagdad

by Over60 Written Dec 7, 2014

I tried all three of the restaurant's in Dalanzagdad's more upscale hotels, avoiding local eateries because of the language barrier, and this one was by far the best. It offers a variety of Mongolian, Korean, and European dishes, and everything I ate was well prepared and tasty. The decor, as in a good many other Mongolian restaurants, seems a bit over the top to Western eyes, and the place is beginning to show its age, but the service was excellent. Most waitresses had at least a few words of English, and a few were fluent. There is also an English menu with helpful pictures.

Favorite Dish: Good Korean dishes

• Business Travel

On the way to the Dunes: Dumplings

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 30, 2014

We stopped for a while in Bayandalay, where some dumpligns were bought to have a lunch on the way to the Dunes. During my stay in this city I had opportunity to visit traditional shops and to communicate with the locals.
    Going down to the dunes, we stopped on the way to have a lunch.
    Our dumplings were delicious and I liked to eat them in an open space. Well, Mongolia is an open space!!!!!!!

Gurvan Gobi: Tour - 1st Lunch - Meat with noodles

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 25, 2014

We stopped at this restaurant to have a lunch on the way down to the Gobi. In Mongolian, this kind of restaurant is called tsaini gazar (café) and, to tell you the truth, I have found it like a guanz. It was possible to eat meat soup and meat with noodles. As I was travelling along with a German I met in Sunpath Guesthouse, we choose different dishes to share. The food was delicious!
    To drink, it is normal to have milk tea.
    Some genuine locals came to greet us.

Tour - 1st Dinner: Meat with noodles

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 12, 2014

Usually the dinner was meat with noodles, spagheti or rice. I am a good eater and had never problems to eat this kind of food. At this time, we had meat with noodles. It was delicious.
    The sky was clear with Full Moon.

Zoogii, I, Bill  & Manal

Tour - 6nd dinner: Meat soup with noodles

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 11, 2014

On the way to Orhon Valley I had stopped in Hurjit to buy rice, sugar and milk to make rice pudding. Unfortunately we arrived too late to make this sweet in the evening. So, I made it the following day in the stove of my ger. It was delicious.
    When we arrived, a meat soup with noodles was served inside the family ger.
    In Orhon Valley, both small and red waterfalls were visited by horse riding. Our ger was located a few km away from both places and, even, we could go there easily on foot.
    On the second day both lunch and dinner were in the family ger.

Part 2

Tour - 5th dinner: Meat Dish

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 11, 2014

We were expecting to have dinner at the local restaurant, but soon the plans have changed when we arrived at the place. The reason: low season. Certainly we could understand the situation. Anyway, a dekicious meat dish was served in our ger.

Mongolian Breakfast

Lunch in Bulgan: Dumpligs

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 10, 2014

To tell you the trutth, I didn't like the idea to have dumplings for lunch. We had eaten them the previous day on the way to the dune. I told to Bill I would like to eat another thing, but this was the only dish available at this restaurant. I like dumplings, but just wanted to try a different Mongolian dish. Anyway, they were tasty and the staff at this restaurant was kind.

From Ongi Monastery to Hurjit: Meat with noodles and potatoes

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 10, 2014

We stopped in this place for about 3h. One of the Russian van, that one with our Argentinians friends, had a problem and our driver had to repair it. Due to this, we arrived too late at the Orhon Canyon, entrance to the valley, and could not take a great picture.
    As this place is a cross road, there are some guanz and I had the pleasure to visit them. In one, I drank airag.
    Our dinner was meat with noodles and potatoes. It was tasty. Then, they made milk vodca and I tasted it.
    Inside this restaurant, some locals came and greeted us offering tobacco.

• grazy56's Profile Photo

SPECIALITY

by grazy56 Updated Nov 8, 2014

Mongolians appreciate a lot milk products called "white food", and that is what they offer first to visitors. They believe that eating milk products make longer the own life. The meat or "grey food" has also its place in Mongolian cooking. From middle of August to middle of September, Mongolian hunt and eat boiled marmot. Mongolians don't eat fish and lakes are full of big fish, you can buy some from the monads and you will just have to make a fish barbacue.

In U.B. restaurants offer you international cooking and after a few weeks in the steppe you will appreciate !

Guantz or soup-kitchen, almost only used by Mongolian serve good and plentiful helpings of traditional food for around 100 T. If numerous and hidden in the skycrapers in the towns, on countryside you will find them under gers.

It is easy to find food in the small towns: you will find bolled or fried ravioli with meat.
    In nomadic families you will always welcomed with one or more cup of airak (fermented milk), cheese and salt tea: TO REFUSE IS TO OFFEND
    Under the ger they will offer you airak, yogurt, hormog, cream and cheese. Cheese (camel, horse, yak or goat) can be salted or sweet and you will find 1000 different types: advice: take only a small piece and if you like it you take more, and if not you take something else? During summer, nomads won?t serve you meat because it's the period where make dry meat for winter food, but, for dinner you will find a little on your noodle soup (excellent). If you will be lucky they will offer you vodka freshly distilled (exquisite drink)

Favorite Dish: LEAVE FOR STEPPE:
    you must be autonomous before leaving for your tour. For lunch you will make a picnic with your driver. Follow his advice to buy evrything you need and think about your driver who also has to eat and he is so much more than useful, he is your lifeline. He will take some of his own food but it won't be so good so you should share with him. Buy water in big quantity? From home you can take lemon juice, salt and peper, oil and vinegar, creams, fruits and vegetables that can keep a long time, tuna. A good idea: buy fruit and vegetable in U.B., if you can in U.B. boil some eggs. For cooking Mejet has a camping stove. Take fork, spoon and knife, glass and 1 plastic plate for each don't create litter because they don't produce it it isneedless to pollute the land? LEARN TO LIVE WITH NATURE WITHOUT DESTROYING IT LIKE THEY DO.

MAKE YOUR OWN COOKING:
    take from home a camping stove with enough gas for your tour,. The drivers use camping stoves which work with bottled gas, the korean stoves are like diplomatic suitcase, the cover protecting the fire from wind: ingenious system, it takes up very little room and can be bought in U.B.(40USSD)

• grazy56's Profile Photo

NO RESTAURANT ON THE STEPPE...

by grazy56 Updated Nov 8, 2014

only few restaurant on the steppe only you eat with local people under the ger
    under the ger atmosphere is fantastic: you must absolutly try
    you will pay around 8usd per personn including for sleeping under the ger.
    sometimes you can find some guantz who are mongolian highway restaurants but don't wait for Maxim's in Paris¨generally the guantz are ger where you can find some food as "buzz" (big ravioli with mottun meat)
    On U.B. you can find many reataurant who sell traditional or international food, where on this one you can listen traditional music.

Favorite Dish: you eat different kind of cheese, good wodka, hormog, yogurt, cream and the famous airak... this is traditional food on countryside. Nomads will cook for you a soup with pasta (good).

Tour - 3rd dinner: Meat with macaroni

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 6, 2014

This family, by the way not very friendly, had many horses and, when we arrived at the place, they were milking the mares. They received us with some apetizers, salty milk tea and mare airag.
    Our dinner was meat with macaroni and we enjoyed it a lot.
    It was a windy and cold night.

Mare airag

Tour - 4th dinner: Goat meat with rice

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 6, 2014

It was a great pleasure to know this family, but we had some problems to find it. They have 60 camels and 400 goats. It is a rich family in Mongolia. In fact, the ger had a good furniture. They had electricity provided by a solar panel. It is common to find nomadic people with solar panels to provide them electricity for a TV.
    When we arrived at the family house, we were invited to taste the tobacco and some apetizers, including goat fresh chesse. Our dinner was meat goat with rice and it was delicious. Certainly, we had salty milk tea as drink.
    After inviting the owner to drink beer with us at our ger, he felt happy and brought us camel milk vodca, a kind of drink about 22º alcohol and served hot. The taste is strong and like the smell of a goat. I liked it!
    To make 2 L of this vodka, we need something like 10 L of camel milk. One litre of camel milk costs 40 USD.
    As I had a packet of green tea from my Island, I gave him as a souvenir from the Azores.
    Next morning, we had a Mongolian breakfast, a kind of noodles soup, goat chesse, bread, cookies and, of course, salty milk tea, at the family home.
    One hour camel riding was included in our package!

Camel milk vodka Camel milk vodka Camel milk vodka

Lunch in Dalanzadgad: Meat with rice and salad

by Avieira67 Updated Nov 6, 2014

It was a great pleasure to have a lunch at this restaurant after having a hot shower at the public balneary. In the Gobi is very hard to find water and we were looking for a shower.
    The lunch at this restaurant, sheep meat with rice and salad, was excellent. OK, the meat was a little bit fatty!
    When in restaurants, it is good idea to recharche batteries.

• eMGeographer's Profile Photo

any yurta: Mongolian cheese - aaruul

by eMGeographer Updated Apr 29, 2013

Aaruul, also known as qurt, qurut or kurt is a cheese typical for Central Asia countries. It is made from drained sour milk or yogurt, formed and let to dry (often on a sun). Aaruul is served in many shapes: rolled into balls, sliced into strips, and formed into chunks. Sometimes it is so dry that you can't bite it, you have to suck it.

Is it tasty? Hm...while beeing in Mongolia I liked it, but when I came back home and tried it again it didn't taste me. ;)

Mongolian cheese - aaruul Mongolian cheese dried on a yurt

4 Reviews - 18 Photos
Erdenet Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Mongolia

Comments

Mongolia Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Mongolia restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mongolia sightseeing.
Map of Mongolia