There are three main squares in old Bhaktapur – Durbar, Taumadhi and Tachupal Tole (to the east), linked togather by a number of narrow streets and courtyards.
Durbar square is larger than the one in Kathmandu and much less “crowded” with temples than Patan. The empty plinths you see today mark where temples once stood before the earthquake in 1934. The royal palace in Durbar square was built in the 15th century.
The area around the Tachupal Tole is the oldest part of the city.
A math is a Hindu monastery.
Out of the several maths monasteries in Bhaktapur, this is the most famous. Dating back from the 15th century, it was renovated in 1979 with German funds, as a wedding gift for the king Birendra.
The 15th century peacock window, 30m down a small alley on the right hand side is reported to be the finest carved window in the whole Kathmandu valley. Best pictures are taken from the first floor of the shop opposite the window.
Pujari Math has been turned into a museum of wood-carving with a small but priceless collection of free-standing sculptures and architectural carvings.
The column is dedicated to the best known king of Bhaktapur, whose great influence on the art and architecture of the city can still be seen today. Built in 1669, the column depicts the king sitting, arms folded, studying the magnificent golden gate to his palace.
There is a similar column in Patan depicting its own king, and there used to be one in Kathmandu as well
Also known as the Kasi Vishwanath or Akash Bhairab, the temple was originally built as a one storey temple in the 17th century, but was rebuilt with two stories by King Bhupatindra Malla in 1717. The damage caused by the earthquake in 1934 led to a complete rebuilding of the temple as well to the adding of the third storey.
The temple is dedicated to Bhairab, the devastating incarnation of Shiva. Despite his fearsome powers, the image of Bhairab inside the temple measures only 15 cm.
The small hole in the central door is used to push offerings to Bhairab. The temple’s façade is guarded by two brass lions and includes another image of Bhairab painted on rattan with real dried intestines draped across it
Nyatapola Temple is on of the highest temples in the Valley and was built during the reign of King Bhupatindra Mall in 1702. The most remarkable element of this five storey temple is the stairway, flanked by guardian figures at each plinth level. The bottom plinth has the legendary Rajput wrestlers Jayamel and Phattu, each having the strength of 10 men. On the plinths above are two elephants, then two lions, then two griffins and finally two goddesses – Baghini and Singhini. Each figure is said to be 10 times as strong as the figure below.
Presiding over all of them, but hidden away inside the temple, is the mysterious Tantric goddess Siddhi Lakshmi, to whom the temples is dedicated.
However, only the temple’s priests are allowed to see the image of the goddess, but the temple’s 108 carved and painted roof struts depict her in various postures.
One thing you have not to forget is that to entry the archeological area, you gotta pay 10 USD entry fee ticket.
The entry fee is absolutely too much, considering that the city with more temples, and in a way also more interesting is even not Bhakthapur but Patan.
In the other way, as the ticket is pretty high, the streets are not so fullfilled of tourists ):-
Favorite thing: Newari humor at the erotic Elephants temple – copulating elephants and other animals in the missionary position are carved on the temple struts.