Bhaktapur Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bhaktapur

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Changu Narayan

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 10, 2014

Changu Narayan Temple and village are a Unesco World Heritage Sites and they are localted on top of a little hill five kms north of Bhaktapur. The temple, built in the 4th century, is the oldest one in Kathmandu valley and can be reached by walking through the quaint village.

The main temple si dedicated to Lond Vishnu and his 10 reincarnations, as well as many other tantric Goddesses. It is decorated with very fine wood carvings. Several other forms of carvings (not only in wood) from the Licchavi period can be found all over the courtyard, where you can also admire shrines dedicated to Shiva, Kali, Ganesh and Krishna.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

nagarkhot

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 10, 2014

We had booked two nights in Nagarkhot because it is known as the balcony over the Himalayas, in the sense that it's the nearest hilltop resort to Kathmandu to have great views over the mountains. Moreover we had seen a fancy hotel (Club Himalaya) with a spa and a gorgeous indoor swimming-pool.
    The day we left for nagarkhot we were in high spirits, thinking we'd enjoy to nights of fresh mountain air... how disappointing! The hotel lit fires nearby to burn their garbage (plastic bags included), so that all rooms in one of the hotel wings filled up with smoke and made it hard to breathe. We called the manager and was not very sympathetic... it took us a while to have him change our room, but he never uttered a word of apology.

What else? The swimming-pool was icy and it not possible to use. Moral of the story: as soon as we woke up the morning after, we decided to return to smelly Kathmandu with joy.

• illa's Profile Photo

Walking in the Lanes

by illa Updated Aug 28, 2004

The city is full of alleys and narrow winding lanes as a network. Built by red bricks as ground and buildings and being full of venders, they are colorful to watch. Each small lane can lead you to some surprises, a temple, a school, a small square, a market... you never know.

• illa's Profile Photo

Erotic Carving

by illa Updated Aug 28, 2004

Looking up to admire the wood carvings on the temples, I found it's full of erotic theme, on four sides of the temple, all different.

You can find it in Durbar Square, as well as on street temples.

Instant Answers: Bhaktapur

Comments

Bhaktapur Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bhaktapur off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bhaktapur sightseeing.