Gorkha Travel Guide

Gorkha Things to Do

• by hakkety Written Feb 5, 2004

This temple and palace complex, high on the hill above Gorkha, is at the heart of the old Gurkha kingdom. This is where Prithwi Naryan Shah looked out over Nepal and decided he wanted to rule it all. The temple and palace complex sit neatly on the ridge between Gorkha and the wilds beyond, and from the top, you will get a stunning view of the Himalayas (hint: go early in the morning to avoid cloud cover). The temple itself is a unique insight into the religious beliefs of the local people: a must see in Gorkha!

Gorkha Hotels

Gorkha Favorites

• mamtap's Profile Photo

by mamtap Written Nov 5, 2013

Favorite thing: Manakamna Temple is in Nepal, in Gorkha district and lies in the lap of mountains. Manakamana Temple is one of the most visited Temple in Nepal. It is one of the famous temples of Nepal because it carries a historical and cultural belief too. Manakamana meaning wishes fulfilling goddess. It’s situated on the top area on the plane land with tiny populated area. We can’t call it town or village but of course we can call it a religious spot and these days it’s becoming one of the tourist spot too.

The means of transportation to the Manakamana Temple is quite attractive and available for all kind of people from any corner of the world. You will have two options as transportation means to the Mankamana Temple. One is Trekking and another is Cable Car (First cable car in Nepal). Both are interesting and fun. It will take around 3-4 hours with trekking and 8-10 minutes with cable car. Cable car service is from Kurintar to Manakamana. Kurintar is 95 km from Kathmandu. It is a thrilling ride as you pass the river and two ridges to the top which makes the trip breathtaking.

This Area consists many hotels and restaurants at affordable rates. Hotels room rates are much more cheaper then rooms in Pokhara and Kathmandu. It’s covered by mountains and even we can see the hills from there. The Manakamna temple is built in pagoda style and it is one of the major tourist attractions.The view around the temple is very astounding.

Manakamana is home to a very sacred Hindu temple where it is said every Hindu must make a pilgrimage. Nepalese believed that the goddess of the temple, Bhagwati, who is an incarnation of Parvati, has the power to grand wishes. And to make sure your wish is granted, goats or chickens are sacrificed at the temple. The cable car has particular cars for sacrificial goats. But there are many people who leave pigeons. One can see thousands of pigeons roaming freely around the temple. My heart was down when I saw the amount of blood coming out from the place where the animals were sacrificed.

Fondest memory: My Mom gave me special instructions to perform puja (worship) in Manakamna temple, before I was leaving for Nepal. Here I am standing in a big queue waiting for my turn to perform puja in the Temple. I got up early in the morning and went to the temple and waited for a few hours in that queue. When I went inside, actually I didn't went inside, I was pushed :D by the worshipers waiting behind me, I saw an Idol which was totally covered by the flowers and garlands offered by the devotees. There were two priests performing puja and the place was totally crowded. I couldn't take any snaps because taking photographs inside the temples are strictly not allowed . When It was done (It was over within 5 mins.) I was again pushed outside.

Me near Manakamna Temple! Manakamna Cable Cars! Temple Area! Place, where the animals are scarified! Me waiting in the queue to Worship!
    • Religious Travel

Instant Answers: Gorkha

Comments

Gorkha Travel Guide
Map of Gorkha