Himalayas Travel Guide

Himalayas Things to Do

• melocoton13's Profile Photo
    View of Everest from Kala Patar

by melocoton13 Updated May 16, 2004

For someone who would not cross the road without getting in my car this was a bit of a shock to the system. waking the 2nd day I thought Im WAY in over my head here, but then I remembered all the fat americans I had seen the day before and decided if they can do Im sure I can too!
    I didnt REALLY appreciate it all till I turned round at Kala Patar and then I realised what Id been doing for the 2 weeks. Simply the best thing Ive ever done in my life, totally EXCELLENT

Himalayas Restaurants

• melocoton13's Profile Photo
    Kala Patar Lodge

by melocoton13 Written May 16, 2004

The food in this place was surprisingly good. I didnt have the best appitie up there cause being so high up I started to get altitude sickness. at a dollar a night to stay there it was value for what it was. all the same it was more expensive than the rest of the way up cause its just about as far up the mountain as you can go (5000)

Himalayas Warnings and Dangers

• by TTRefuge Updated Mar 11, 2009

Always sleep with your digital camera inside your sleeping bag. This means that the camera battery doesn't freeze up during the night and it's ready to shoot immediately you get going the next morning. Make sure your picture cards are properly insulated as well. I once had a disaster when one of mine cracked and became unuseable due to freezing conditions. I lost all the pics of half of my Everest trek.

(by Writeon)

Himalayas What to Pack

• by TTRefuge Written Mar 11, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Something I didn't know to pack for my first trek was a pair of Flip-flops. Although warmish solar-heated showers are not the norm, nevertheless if you have a chance to grab one you'll need to wear flip-flops in the shower otherwise you feet will freeze on the concrete and you'll feel a lot of pain.

(Writeon)

• by TTRefuge Written Mar 11, 2009

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Think ahead - buy and wear-in a good brand of trekking boots before you start your trek. It takes several weeks before new boots can be considered to be 'worn-in'. The very worst thing that can happen to you on trek is to start a blister. You'll be in pain and have hassle dressing it and in the end you might not want to walk (and there may be no quick way down).
    Be sure your boots are the right size. Usually I buy them a size larger than my usual size simply because I wear two pairs of socks with them. I put on a thin pair first followed by thick trekking socks. The interaction between the two pairs of socks helps to prevent the formation of blisters. So before buying boots - try them on whilst wearing two pairs of socks.

Make sure the boots are long enough. If your big toes hit against the boots on steep descents, you'll end up losing your big toenails (not that this really matters).

(Writeon)

• Himalayas Hotels

0 Hotels in Himalayas

Instant Answers: Himalayas

Comments

Himalayas Travel Guide
Map of Himalayas