Places to eat in Kathmandu

by lotharscheer

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kathmandu

roadhouse cafe: oven-fired pizzas

by call_me_rhia Updated Mar 14, 2014

good pizza in cosy surroundings... oven-fired... as good as you may get in northern italy. nice wooden decor of the restaurant, and fast enough service - but the place is a bit big and too crowded for my taste. I'm talking about the Thamel location, sicne there are three more in town.

Favorite Dish: pizza with ham and yak cheese

koketsu: authentic japanese food

by call_me_rhia Updated Mar 14, 2014

An excellent authentic japanese restaurant a stone throw from the japanese embassy... most customers are Japanese and so is the chef. Excellent sushi - not to miss. We saw people ordering two sushi set meals each for 800 rupees... we ordered one and then decided to follow suit, as one set doesn't really fill a person. don't go if you are in a hurry. The sushi master prepares verything carefully so you need to expect service to be slow!!!! There's also a teèèanyaki table if you are not into raw fish...

Sunday, it's closed.

Favorite Dish: I would have said sushi, but actually this is not true. We went to Koketsu several times and got to know the sushi master and, on our last night in town, the owner. We always tried to order whatever they had listed as a special on the menu; including seabream skin and octopus marinated guts. Chef and owner must have taken a liking to us, as we were once threated to rare japanese delicacies, including egg tofu prepared especially for us.

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the alchemy restaurant: almost italian

by call_me_rhia Updated Mar 14, 2014

A little restaurant that is almost italian, in the sense that the Nepali owner has spent many years in Italy. he knows his food stuff and, in particular, he gets the right ingredients all the way from Italy. The restaurant is little and not very fancy, though spotlessly clean and has wi-fi, too.

Favorite Dish: The pizza there is terrific. The yoghurt heavenly.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Yak Restaurant: Good Food and nice atmosphere

by lotharscheer Updated Nov 22, 2012

Quite good Food, Tibetan, Nepali, Indian (if you want it spicy tell them when you order) and Western. It seems to be after 7 pm allwise full, come early.

Favorite Dish: Steamed Momos (sort of tibetan Ravioli) with Buffalo filling.

• Photography

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Himalayan Java.: Damn good coffee place.

by cachaseiro Written May 27, 2012

Himalayan Java is one of the best coffee places in Kathmandu, if not the best.
    It's an excellent coffee shop with very cosy interior and very high quality nepali coffee.
    Like a modern coffeeshop it also has free wifi and each table is even equipped with a plug so you can recharge your laptop while you are online.
    They also have a good selection of cakes, fruits, etc and other things you expect from a modern coffeeshop.
    This is one of my favorite places to hang out in the afternoon in Kathmandu when i just want to take it easy.

Favorite Dish: I am a cafe Latte drinker and they do a damn good one at Himalayan Java.

• Luxury Travel

Tuckhe Thakali Kitchen: Tukche - a little-known pearl in Kathmandu

by Saagar Updated Apr 14, 2012

Since the original tip for this restaurant was listed, they have moved location from Durbar Marg to behind the Naryanthithy Palace (aka Ministry of Foreign Affairs and The Palace Museum). I have edited the past info after my visit to the new location.
    The Tukche Thakali Kitchen says it all - it's Thakali food at its best: the good-humoured and daring trading Thakali people from the Kali Gandaki area who tend to run many of the good inns and restaurants on the Jomsom-Muktinath trail and on Pokhara Lakeside. Tukche is the main Thakali village.
    At Tukche Thakali Kitchen you will get Thakali food at its best, no kidding. For the more special dishes, you should be sure to order in advance, perhaps with your booking some hours or a day before. Also watch your tummy, the dishes can be heavily spiced and hot.
    The tables are comfortably low, and the place itself lends itself to a post-trek treat; after a trek through the Kali Gandaki there should be no place better to reminisence than here. Group seating options are excellent here. The restaurant draws many people so prebooking for a group is a must.
    Go for it!

Favorite Dish: The menu is very heavy on the snacks and tidbits side, with the main dishes aligning with more traditional daal bhat and deldho varieties (millet, maize, buckwheat porridge). Some of the food can be very heavy on your stomach, both spices, buckwheat and millet dishes.
    In fact you can dine here on snacks alone and stay off the mains if you wish. I have certainly done so again and again. The dried (sukuthi) and spiced chyangra mountain goat is very good. Momos is an all-time favourite that do not come much better than here. Wash it all down with the local apple tipples, thungba, chang or a conventional beer. Of course any other drink you'd think of would also be available here. I never made it through the dessert part of the manu, but we understood that making kheer rice pudding took some time, so that's another thing to pre-order for the next visit.
    This is a place very popular among Nepalis also, and understandably so.

La'Soon: African crossover in Pulchowk

by Saagar Written Apr 14, 2012

Among the more interesting restaurants in Kathmandu Valley, La'Soon offers African-inspired dishes, crossover food and some Nepali mainstays as well. Located in the road to the right at the Egyptian Embassy when you travel uphill towards Jawhalakhel, just across from the Ministry for Local Development. It has a garden setting, very nice BBQs on Sundays, and an interesting clientele. In part African-managed, it also seems to be a focal point for the African expats in the Valley.
    Good food, good and lively mood.
    Wide choice of wines.
    They also do catering.

Favorite Dish: I had chicken dishes here that I really enjoyed. The menu offers a good variety, and my table companions enjoyed their choices, too.

• Wine Tasting

• babar_1's Profile Photo

Nepali Thali

by babar_1 Updated Mar 3, 2012

Traditional Nepali thali consists of rice, vegetables, pickle, daal, onion, and chatney etc. It is available in most of the local resturants. The above picture is from a traditional Thakali resturant.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Birdwatching
    • Farm Stay

Casa De Cass: Upmarket in Lalitpur

by Saagar Written Oct 31, 2011

A new place in town, excellent food and atmosphere. Definitely upmarket, but not a white tablecloth type of place. Rather a rustic interior. Very well suited for business lunches or coffee during day time. Romantic dinner og a business dinner during evening also. Good for singles locked to their laptop computers.
    Live music occasionally.
    Open space, bar area, or secluded corners.

Favorite Dish: Excellent menu; a group of us had a selection of foods and all was good. They name their theme European and Fusion.
    Veggies and all greens are from an organic farm nearby.

The Chimney: Old world elegance

by narkaji Written Jul 18, 2011

For my wife and I this is our favorite place for dinner. Tucked away in the corner inside the Yak & Yeti premises, it is a true treasure. The staff are very professional and welcoming. The menu is delightful though quite expensive for Nepalese standards. A single meal per person can cost from $25 upwards but the portions are huge and every morsel is worth your penny. My wife and I always order one appetizer and one main course to share between the two of us. The staff are so nice to divide the portions before hand. They also have complimentary hor d'oeuvre before the meal and home made chocolates after which are both delicious.

Favorite Dish: There are no favorites. We have tried maybe all the dishes there and each is equally scrumptious.

The Chimney: Old world elegance

by narkaji Written Jul 18, 2011

For my wife and I this is our favorite place for dinner. Tucked away in the corner inside the Yak & Yeti premises, it is a true treasure. The staff are very professional and welcoming. The menu is delightful though quite expensive. A single meal per person can cost from $25 upwards but the portions are huge and every morsel is worth your penny. My wife and always ordered one appetizer and one main course to share between the two of us. The staff are so nice to divide the portions before hand. They also have complimentary hor d'oeuvre before the meal and home made chocolates after which are both delicious.

The Tamerine: A great find

by narkaji Written Jul 18, 2011

I had heard about the restaurant and I thought I would check it out. The place is nicely set. They have both an outdoor and indoor area which are both tastefully designed. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Next time I am planning to take my wife there for a meal since I liked it so much.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a rack of lamb and I must say it is one of the best I have tried in Nepal.

Kaiser Cafe - Garden of Dreams: The Perfect Refuge

by narkaji Written Jul 7, 2011

This is a true treasure of a place. If you want to escape the noise, pollution and crowd of Kathmandu; and be transported to another era of manicured gardens, classical architecture and artistic sculptures then be sure to visit this place. The cafe is located in a place called Garden of Dream and there is a small entrance fee (but it is worth it). What was once a forgotten and dilapidated garden of a Rana ruler has been recently superbly restored to this gem. The cafe itself is located in part of the palace so the setting and ambience is truly grand. The menu is also well selected. My wife and I (we actually had our first date there) have been there a number of times so we have tried most of the items and they are all good. We liked the place so much that we had our Kathmandu wedding reception there and they did a great job organizing the whole event.

Favorite Dish: The Kaiser steak is awesome. The meat is tender and the sauce is out of this world. They also so really good salads here.

• Architecture

• PierreZA's Profile Photo

Hotel Mandap: A good variety, including Nepali dishes

by PierreZA Written May 7, 2011

This restaurant in the heart of Thamel, is one of my favourite eateries in Kathmandu.
    They serve consistently good food.
    The great variety is a bonus, which includes Nepali Food.
    I visited the restaurant on three different occasions, and the food and service were always very good!

Favorite Dish: They have a dish called a "Chicken Sizzler"

Northfield Cafe: Good breakfast, nice outdoor setting: Northfield

by Saagar Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is where I go if I stay in Thamel and want a breakfast and a newspaper. generally, the hotel bfreakfasts are a let-down in Nepal - dedicated restaurants do things much better. Places such as Northfield...
    It is a fairly simple place and it doesn't go overboard with anything. Sometimes slow, but generally good. I like the food and the menu creativity, and the open space, back from the noise of Thamel.

It is also a good meeting place, where Kathmandu's nototious latecomings due to being "stuck in traffic" can be waited out by the morning's newspaper, proximity to Pilgrims' Bookshop and good brekfast extension menu...

Favorite Dish: The menu is one that originates from the Mike's Breakfast up in Naxal; this is the little brother.You see the same table clothes and the creative use of nepali food stuffs to make crossover Mexican and American food.
    I take my breakfast here: jiuce of various kinds according to season, eggs/omelets, coffee, tea, pancakes, meat and veggies. Never had stomach problems after a visit here.

Kathmandu Hotels

Elbrus Home
Hotel Harati
Hotel Courtyard

Instant Answers: Kathmandu

Comments

Kathmandu Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kathmandu locals.
Map of Kathmandu