Rum Doodle, Kathmandu

• Rum Doodle
    by ozalp
  • Rum Doodle
    by ozalp
    Don't forget ya own foot-print !!
    by amarshah
  • pankaj271315's Profile Photo

Rum Doodle: Craziest tales of the Himalayas

by pankaj271315 Updated Apr 12, 2006

All those who visit nepal enroute to leave their mark in the Himalayas visit this place to form a general opinion of the adventure they are likely to face in the days to come. This current resturant is a new establishment and somehow does not have the same ambience nor does it live upto the expectation of the older one. But inspite of my critism, it is probably one of the best resturants in Kathmandu. Newsweek had ranked it as one of the top resturants/pubs in the world some years back.

Favorite Dish: I like the enchiladas and the cold platter. The cocktails are also good. Generally all the food is of excellent quality

• ozalp's Profile Photo

Rum Doodle: Have a footprint, leave your footprint

by ozalp Written Aug 19, 2009

This place is where we had dinner in Kathmandu. It is said that it is a meeting point for mountaineers. After a short free time to know Thamel, we found where it is and joined the group. Here, we met a Turkish mountaineer, Tunc Findik. He is a friend of a member of our group. We were more than 30 people, a crowded and noisy group. I ordered a huge steak and some red wine. They were all delicious and in huge portions.
    Rum Doodle is in Thamel and its walls and ceiling are all covered with Yeti foot shaped card boards. It is a tradition to leave your signature here. This is why this restaurant has a great collection of famous mountaineers. The tradition started with the famous first time sumiteer Sir Edmund Hillary.
    At the end of the night, waiters brought us all small feet and a big foot. A talented friend from group has drawn pictures on big one and we left our mark in this restaurant. Then we all signed the small foot-prints and kept one as a memoir.

Rum Doodle has a wide menu of eclectic cuisine. I enjoyed my huge steak and red wine. I think nobody from the group was disappointed that night. Uh, also the restaurant sent us to our hotel (Yak and Yeti) with rikshaws. It was a complimentary of Rum Doodle and it was quite an experience for me.
    I know this is a place I certainly recommend people going there and also I’d like to be there again.

Favorite Dish: Steak and wine

• Luxury Travel

• halfbeat's Profile Photo

Rum doodle's: Excellent pizza! Excellent ambience!

by halfbeat Written Dec 9, 2008

Excellent atmosphere!
    Good prices and food we tried was all nice.
    5 of us ate in there for about £20 including a couple of drinks.
    Loved the decorated Yeti feet all over the walls, which are all signed by travellers who have visited the bar. It was really interesting reading what people had written on them about their climbs, treks and various adventures.
    Can be very busy, so booking is maybe worth thinking about.
    Served all kinds of food in there.
    Excellent place for a drink too!

Favorite Dish: I had a 'Tandoori chicken and onion pizza' and it was really good.
    Another member of my group had a peppered steak and that was really nice too.

• bluedook's Profile Photo

Rum Doodle: Everest beer is the best

by bluedook Written Oct 27, 2005

roof terrace

Good food. Great beer (Everest). We went as a group and sat on the roof. Lots of paper feet on the walls of past visitors. Food cheap but beer expensive (as in all Nepal). Apparently if you have climbed Everest you can eat for free.

• Saagar's Profile Photo

The Rum Doodle: Climbing the ultimate hights

by Saagar Updated Mar 11, 2010

Rum Doodle is an institution, and the clientele are mountain high-fliers, post-trek trekking parties, guides, Everest climbers (they can eat here for free the rest of their lives!), local tourism business people, general visitors looking for a place with a name, and generally those going for good Thamelish food. Note that at the high season and peak hours it can get quite full, and loud. Not a place to take people for a talk.

It is a good party place, has a good bar, and is generally a great hangout. It is big, given it's odd extemnsions, and can accommodate big groups if neccessary.
    Live music on Friday night. Dance floor. A good mix of visitors and locals.
    They use iron stoves to warm up the place during the cold season. Can get real toasty and nice.

Rum Doodle got its name after the book The Ascent of Rum Doodle, the world's highest mountain, a hilarious description of mountaineers expeditioning and scaling steep mountains. Great book for climbing freinds, by the way! 200 Rs or so.

Favorite Dish: BBQ chicken was good. It bugs me that they serve beef, not buff as their steaks.
    Good drinks, a great selection of beers.

• Beer Tasting

• Rum Doodle: essential but expensive

by g_gornik Written Jun 6, 2006

the restaurant is a nice place with a roof top terrace. the food is worth the price just to see hilarys john hancock. but the if you are looking for a good meal its not really the place for great food the prices are high the quality is low on the scale even for Nepal.

sherpa greg.

Favorite Dish: pizzas are done in a clay oven.

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Rum Doodle: Limited Vegetarian Selection

by XKuger Written Nov 18, 2003
    Gokyo Lake #3

Its a nice restaurant on the second floor with retro decor similar to a Hard Rock Cafe. There seems to be tonnes and tonnes of autographs of different Everest Treking Groups that have left their Autograph on the walls.

They also have a plaq that has been signed by a lot of Everest Sumiteers.

The Service is nice but the food selection is poor for vegatarians. Its mostly for Stake lovers, even though a lot of out fellow trekers ordered Pizza and said it was good.

Favorite Dish: Its difficult to say what my favourite dish was because I was there just one night. The only vegatrian dish that I ordered was the Vegatable curry. They alsi had some Indian bread (Nan) which I did not bother to try.

But I should say that the Vegatable curry was fairly good even though it was not out of the world to rave about.

• Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Kathmandu

Comments

Hotels Near Rum Doodle
4.0 out of 5 stars