Getting Around Kathmandu

Most Viewed Transportation in Kathmandu

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Kathmandu Airport

by nattybabe Written Jun 19, 2007

The system at the airport is a strange one which I've never seen before. They are highly security consious and you will be checked 3-4 times before you board your plane.

When you first arrive you cannot get into the terminal without your bags being X-rayed and then tied with plastic ties. Then, you will need to pay your departure tax (different amounts depending on where you're going). I paid 1700rs to Bangkok and others paid 1200rs to India.

After you pay your tax, check in as normal and then proceed to the pre-departure area. Take my advice, stay there until your plane is boarding. There are shops, cafes and duty free shops in this area and is easy to pass the time in.

Once boarding, you will need to be checked by 2 different security areas and your bags completely unpacked. Then proceed to a large shed area which caters for all flights leaving. Wait there until you see people moving and board.

It's a very strange system, but it seems to work for them!

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Easiest way to reach Kathmandu.

by goutammitra Updated May 22, 2010

You can reach Nepal or Kathmandu in all three ways, by Road, by Rail upto Raxaul ( India border) or by Air Plane from Kolkata, Delhi, Bangkok, Singapore, Karachi, London, and many other destinations from Asia and Europe. Kathmandu airport though small but quite busy.
    We travelled to and fro by air from Kolkata( Indian Airlines). For Indians no visa required but valid Indian ID such as Passport, PAN Card or Voter's ID is required. For other nationals valid Vias and Passport is required.

Indian Airlines operates daily flights except Friday to Kathmandu from Kolkata. Return Fare is Rs.10705/- per person 0r USD$ 220. There is a chance to get promo fare also if you book in advance using net. The Indian Airlies flight uses Airbus A320 and is quite efficient but the crew are from 40+ age group??? Food is just okey and they give only vegetarian food in this one hour flight. Reason, they have reduced the fare to remain competitive.
    From Kolkata there is also direct train to Raxaul everyday. It takes about 14-16hrs from Howrah to Raxaul.

We are in the aircraft while coming. The mountain peaks taken from Aircraft. Munu enjoying her food. Rakhi while going to Kathmandu. Trivoban Intl. Airport, Kathmandu.
    • Religious Travel

• stamporama's Profile Photo

A trustworthy travel agent

by stamporama Written Apr 10, 2011

When I was preparing for my Nepal trip, I got into the dilemma of booking a domestic flight from KTM to Pokhara. None of the local airlines' websites had online booking and payment facilities, and if at all possible I didn't want to go through the hassles (and possibly greater expense) of booking only when I arrived there.

Lucky for me, I took in the tip of a VTer (into-thin-air) who recommended Nirmal Nakarmi , a local travel agent who booked me my plane ticket even before I got to see and pay him. He had his assistant deliver the ticket to my hotel, he only charged me the regular fare plus the taxi fare for his assistant.

Nirmal is the owner/manager of Himalayan Magic Adventures and he can help you arrange your travel needs within KTM and Nepal.

As he was recommended to me, so now I recommend him to you.

At Nimral's travel office in Thamel

• schlumpf's Profile Photo

Kathmandu – Delhi/ (Varanasi – Kathmandu) via flig

by schlumpf Written Feb 21, 2005

The quickest way to reach Delhi from Kathmandu or vice verse is to take a plane. It will costs you something beetween 110-130 Usd (30% discount under 30 years old). It is better to book a couple of days in advance anyway.
    The flight is very quick and with Indian Arilines you will have no problem at all.
    Do not expect any service in particular.
    The airport of Kathmandu is quiet big and the level of checks and control is the highest I have ever seen!
    The check in is made MANUALLY with no PC!!!! So you can immage how many overbooking or mistakes, delays and so on, could accure!
    The first thing to rememebr is to be at the airport at least 2 hours before departure because as all is made manually the waitign time is very long.
    Keep in mind that it works like this:
    First of all you gotta pay the exit fees that depends on your dstination, then with the receipt you go stra8 to the check in. They check you in and put a label on the backpack, then you take your backpack and go to the “gate”. After checked again the bag they take your bag and you can cross the “control check” showing again the fees receipt.
    After passed the custom, you gotta go outside and reckonize your bag and make them load it on the aircraft!! Unbelievable!!!
    But it is not all...Then, when they board you, you gotta pass on the lift of the airplane where they put a metal detector again, so they make you open again the handbag and they check you again....unbelievable!!!
    It is a very long way, a very stressing way but definitely a very secure way! First, nobody will forget your bag, as you are the one that has to reckon it! Then, is better one check more then one less, can you feel me?!

The Famous Mountain Flight: KATHMANDU

by goutammitra Written Jun 11, 2010

While in KATHMANDU, it is strongly recommended that one should take the famous Mountain Flight, which takes you to Everest and other famous peaks. It's a life time experience. Don't' miss it.

There are two to 8 flights operated in the morning depending on the no of passenger on a clear day. The first flight leaves from Domestic Airport at around 6.20Am Kathmandu time and the last one is at 7.45AM. There are two flights announced on at 6.45 and the other at 7.45 but they make extra trips if the no of passenger are more.

It costs USD$ 100 for this one hour long flight in a modern Beech craft turboprop 16 seater plane. Each person is guaranteed a window seat and with my experience I can only say every penny is worth of this money.

You can book the flight over phone to Buddha Air and also pay by credit card. They will deliver the ticket to your hotel and also bring the card punch manual machine. A real home delivery and nice way to win the customer. Please call Mr. Karn or Mr. Diwakar over mobile for any assistance!

They also give a certificate on return.

The Buddha air Flight Inside the craft The passengers. The Romanian girl holding the certificate.

• halfbeat's Profile Photo

Kathmandu Tribhuvan airport.

by halfbeat Updated Dec 9, 2008

When landing at the airport on your way into the country, if possible sort your visa out from the embassy before you get there, if not, at least have your forms filled out and ready to process before you land with the correct money and a passport photo attached, and then as soon as you get to the immigration desk ask for the immigration form off someone so you can fill this out before you get to the front of the queue.
    This will save you lots of time otherwise you get to the front of the queue and then have to spend more time sorting these things out.
    Secondly, when leaving the airport just mind the many men waiting to give you overpriced taxi rides or to just follow you back to your pre arranged lift and then even just touch your bags, let alone actually carry anything, and then demand money for helping you. They are not easily satisfied with a small amount of money either!!
    Lastly, if you are looking to change money, i got a better rate in the city than the desks in the airport. Although not much, it was about 2 rupees better in the city.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Safari

Cycle Rickshaw

by PierreZA Written Feb 20, 2009

These rickshaws can mostly be found in and around the tourist area of Thamel. Negotiate on a price before you get in and be sure the driver knows exactly where you want to go.
    You will also be hassled a bit more by these cyclists to take a ride around Thamel during the evening, for a negotiated price.

Cycle Rickshaw

Qatar Airways

by PierreZA Written Feb 20, 2009

We flew from Johannesburg to Kathmandu via Doha, with Qatar Airways. All flights on all four occasions were delayed (about 35 min to 1h30min).
    Food served was good and legroom was very good in economy class.
    In-flight entertainment was OK.
    Doha airport is rather unexciting, so try not to have a long transfer.

Busy streets, Thamel

Hire car with driver

by PierreZA Written Feb 20, 2009

For longer trips, out of the city, a travel agent could organise a car and driver for you. Do try more than one agency to get the best deal. Also be clear as to what is included and what not before payment.
    We used this mode of transport for a trip from Kathmandu, to Nagarkot, then to Bakthapur before returning to Kathmandu.

Bakthapur

• traceyspacey's Profile Photo

Luxury Bus from Pokhara

by traceyspacey Updated Apr 26, 2008

After our painful travel to Pokhara, we decided that the Greenline Bus looked a better option. It was. A lot more leg room, the headrest was even at the right height. If you get the back seats just watch your head on the metal grill covering the fan. This journey was quicker than the tourist bus, less than 7 hours. Stopped for Buffet lunch at River Side Springs Resort (which doesn't look like it's worth $60 a night). Cost $15 for this bus. We booked it through Wayfarers.

• Hiking and Walking

• nattybabe's Profile Photo

Rickshaws

by nattybabe Written Jun 19, 2007

Rickshaws are a fun way to get around and easier as they can negotiate through the busy streets easier than taxis can. As with taxis though you will need to agree on a price before you get in NOT after. Once again, if you don't agree just walk away and they will either go down more in price or you can find another driver who will accept your price. They are charging you 100% more than locals anyway so they're not hard done by.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo

Air India Flight: Pleasant Surprise!

by goutammitra Updated Jun 4, 2010

My Kathmandu page will be incomplete, if I do not write about my experience in this Air India flight no IC 747. Last time the aircraft was old and the service was bad without any smile. But this time I was in for pleasant surprise. The aircraft IC 747 an Air Bus 320 was brand new fitted with 6 channel movie, GPS, nice clean sheet. The food was excellent though only vegetarian and given with smile. Not only this when I told the hostess that if she can provide me little more, she not only went to the business class and got me one more plate but she wanted to make sure if I am still hungry!

This is where the difference lies. On return too the aircraft was little old but the food was great with great service. Surly, The Air India flight to neighboring country has improved a lot.

Inside the craft. A baby I got friendly with. The new Airbus 320 Kathmandu departure lounge. Kathmandu departure lounge.

• Vija_v's Profile Photo

Bus from India to Nepal

by Vija_v Updated Jun 10, 2005

We arrived in Kathmandu by bus. Actually it was the most terrible journey we had during our trip.
    Place of departure was in Varanasi. At the very beginning we thought that we ll go by tourist bus, which includes hotel and 2 breakfasts, but at very last moment we found out the bus is canceled! (So typical for that country). So we were traveling by public bus and from Varanasi till Kathmandu we get in 27 terrible hours!
    At first we arrived at the border town Sonauli in India, crossed border to Nepal and got our visas in Balahiya. Just short note that all this visa things takes 15 minutes and costs 30 USD.

In Nepal we made our biggest mistake, we started to talk with some lads who offered us bus to Kathmandu and we said to them that we are in here on first time! Gosh, of course they charged double price from us.

Trip in Nepal side was terrible cos of the one reason, due to maoists they have security check points on the way. And in one of them, i dont know why, but the bus had to stay for 5 hours!
    And just to make the story more interesting i can say, that the bus was terrible, it was very hot and there were many mosquitos!

But at the end we were really happy to reach the Kathmandu and no matter of the terrible journey, we loved the place! :)

• XKuger's Profile Photo

Royal Nepal Airlines - Worst Experince

by XKuger Updated Nov 18, 2003

Royal Nepal Airlines is probabily my wors nightmare in all these years of International flight travel.

My flight was an 8:30 AM scheduled flight to Bangkok. Suddenly at 7:00 am the flight was changed to a 1:30 PM flight. Later came to know they just had 3 planes and used this plane to fly to Dubai.

We were promised it will be on time at 1:30. Famous last words. They claimed some technical snag and we sat in the lounge till 5:30 PM when we were finally allowed to board.

They did not have the special meals that I had ordered and reached Bangkok very late at night.

The worst thing in the whole episode was that there was never a single spokes person who informed the passanges of what the hell was going on the whole time.

On the plane I heard man horror stories of fellow passangers who had been stranded there for 2, 3 and 4 days because Royal Nepal cancelled their flight.

NEVER, NEVER FLY ROYAL NEPAL if you want to get anywhere on time.

• Vija_v's Profile Photo

Plane back to Delhi

by Vija_v Updated Jun 10, 2005

As we were very short in time, then we decided not to repeat our bus experience once again and to go back to India by plane.
    We were using Cosmic Airlines which were quiet good.

Trip was quiet expensive - 100 USD one way, but we didnt had other option. Just one important thing- if you decide to take a plane, make sure that u are very early in the airport. We had 5 (!!!!!) securitu checks in there and i had to give away my lighter as very dangerous weapon :(

We got our tickets in the agency and i can say that they offer quiet good service.

SURUCHI TRAVEL

Hotel Family Home
Tibet Holiday Inn
Latest: Oct 22, 2012

Instant Answers: Kathmandu

Comments

Kathmandu Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kathmandu locals.
Map of Kathmandu