Favorite thing: The largest and the oldest courtyard of the former royal palace let’s you discover exquisite sculptures on the surrounding buildings, together with good views over the palace’s three Taleju temples. The entrance is guarded by two stone lions, and there is s small gilded temple in the middle of the courtyard.
The tall column in front of the Taleju Temple and the royal palace is topped by a golden figure of King Yoganarendra Malla (1684 – 1705). The king is in kneeling position over a lotus bud and is protected by a cobra. A small bird rests on the head of the cobra.
The kings’ statue faces his palace since 1700, and legend says that as long as the bird remains on the head of the cobra, the king may still return to his palace. For this purpose, a door and a window of the former royal palace are always kept open.
Another temple dedicated to Krishna, bearing the same Indian design with its Shikhara style spire on top, completes the front line of temples in the Durbar square of Patan. The stairway to it, which faces the palace’s Sundari Chowk, is guarded by two stone lions, another vehicles of Vishnu.
The temple was built in the early 18th century.
This temple of Lord Krishna built in the 17th century by King Siddhi Nardingh Malla holds a commanding position in the Durbar square of Patan. Its Indian design, with Shikhara style spire, contrasts the nearby brick and timber, multiroof Newari temples, standing evidence for the stronger Mughal influence in the Valley in the 17th century.
It is the only temple in Nepal having 21 golden pinnacles. Most of the important scenes from the ancient Hindu epics have been engraved on its freezes: Mahabharata scenes engraved on the 1st floor and Ramayana ones on the 2nd.
The column facing the temple has the statue of the mythical man-bird Garuda on its top, on a kneeling position and with folded arms. The explanation is as simple as it gets: Krishna is one of the incarnations of Vishnu, and Garuda is one of the vehicles of Vishnu. One big happy family :-)
Favorite thing: Elaborately decorated two-roofed temple built in the first half of the 17th century, with two large stone elephants guarding the front entrance. The pillars are particularly ornate. Shiva’s vehicle, the bull, is on the other side of the temple, while inside is a large lingam. Restored in recent years.
Bhimsen was a super-strong hero of the Hindu epic Mahabharata and was later included in the Pantheon of Hindu deities as the god of trade and business. This can possibly explain the well-kept and prosperous look of this temple north of Durbar sq., as well as its “expensive upgrades” - an artificial marble façade.
The temple has three stories and was rebuilt towards the end of the 17th century. Restored after the earthquake of 1934 as well as in 1967.