Rum Doodle, Nepal

• leon.partsi's Profile Photo

Rum Doodle: Holy Doodle

by leon.partsi Written May 9, 2012

Veggie Burger with Yak Cheese

The food is western and terrific - normally hard to do due to the quality of the ingredients you get in Kathmandu. However it is done, this English team of cooks have done it. I loved my meal here.

There's also a cool touristy thing you can do where you get a paper footprint, write a message on it, and stick it on the wall. There are already hundreds here, showing you some of the history and messages people before you have left behind. Reading some of the messages is quite heartwarming - otherwise are quite amusing.

One man congratulated himself on achieving Everest Base Camp, then apologised to his late wife that she couldn't be with him to share one of his life dreams. Another group of English wrote a faux movie poster in the vein of "Into Thin Air" which included a review from their tour guide: "A bunch of unprofessional limeys - never again." I wrote a message to all my friends, and a tagline that read "couldn't be with me in person, but were there in spirit every step of the way."

Favorite Dish: I got a veggie burger with yak cheese.

I've never had the cheese of a yak before. I probably won't again, but I didn't mind it. You could definitely tell a difference.

• AlettaCrofton's Profile Photo

Rum Doodle: Popular with Hikers

by AlettaCrofton Written Aug 11, 2009
    The entrance to Rum Doodle

Rum Doodle came highly recommended, but we were not impressed. The staff are cold and unfriendly and the food not that great.

Favorite Dish: Mervyn had pork chops and mash potatoe. I had a lassi. The pork was not very tender.

• TracyG's Profile Photo

Rum Doodle: Trekkers meeting place...

by TracyG Written Aug 12, 2005

Rum Doodle

This place has become an institution amongst trekkers, whether solo or in a group and anyone that has summited Everest can eat free for life! It has a good range of dishes, though it is slightly more expensive than a lot of places in Thamel. The collection of footprints on the wall (made by various trekkers) provide a great topic of conversation and are fun to look at. If you don't mind the crowds and large groups and want to have some fun then this is a great place to come.

Favorite Dish: The pizza was good

• Rum Doodle: Rum Doodle dooo!

by kazak Written Aug 15, 2003
    Our farewell dinner (sob, sob)

I'm sure everyone who's been to Katmandu has been to Rum Doodle. I can't think of a better place to go for the end of trek farewell dinner.

Favorite Dish: Can't remember what I ate, but I know it was good. So too was the Tuborg (beer). I think being the end of trek, any food would taste fantastic, especially with a group of fabulous people I'd gotten to know over the preceeding 3 weeks.

• Rum Doodle: Rum Doodle

by natalie_c Updated Aug 24, 2002

It's truly the travellers restaurant. There are giant cardboard feet covering the walls. Each foot is written on and illustates an expedition, placing a foot up on the wall is like being noted down in history. The atmosphere is great. People laughing and recalling all the stupid embarrassing moments of their trek. I loved it...

Instant Answers: Nepal