Myohyang-sanmaek Restaurants

• wabat's Profile Photo

Chongchon Hotel: Coffee from Heaven

by wabat Updated Sep 13, 2014

Dining at the Chongchon Hotel

As is the norm for visitors to North Korea, where you eat is predetermined and included in the cost of your tour. No, deciding that you will skip the tour fare and nip into town for a hamburger, pizza or whatever else might take your fancy.

Dinner at the Chongchon Hotel (unlike its rooms) was of a reasonable standard and similar to that which we had become accustomed to elsewhere in North Korea. And so it was that we had an ample assortment of dishes, meat and vegetarian, all of which had to be consumed before the rice was brought out. I have lamented about/ explained this custom of bringing out rice at the end of the meal on another review so won’t dwell on it again here. Dinner was washed down with the usual beer and water though other drinks were available from the small bar/snack bar in the dining room. A quaint little quirk of a number of restaurants we ate in, in North Korea, was this snack bar/shop at which you could stock up on food after having eaten in the restaurant!

Pleasant enough as dinner was, what I do want to draw the reader’s attention to is the coffee pot (plunger) in picture 4.

This I encountered at breakfast the following morning and on seeing it at some distance from the table I thought all my heavens had come at once. Coffee to date and been a rather foul tasting instant variety (ok, I am a bit of a coffee snob) so on seeing the coffee pot, accompanied by toast and some form of rissole affair, I made a beeline for it, poured a cup and, man (or woman!), did I enjoy it.

Looking around the table I sensed others were looking at me.

Whoops, I had just helped myself to another visitor’s private coffee. Thankfully, I had been singing its praises as I drank it. The good lady owner, who from that point became my dear friend, had brought the coffee and the plunger pot from Australia. Thankfully, she didn’t mind me helping myself!

Next Review
    Stoked up with a cup of fresh coffee it was time to hit the trail again. While we waited out side for the group to assemble and board the bus we had time to admire an Eternal Life Monument and another monument to the Leaders. Please do join me for a look.

Favorite Dish: The Coffee - though you won't get any !

Dinner with beer Dinner Dinner with beer Real Coffee!
    • Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Willettsworld's Profile Photo

Hyangsan Hotel: Plentiful

by Willettsworld Written Sep 7, 2008

We had lunch here which was enough for 20 people, yet alone 12. The hotel is quite dated in appearance with much of the general decor looking like it dates from the 1970's. There is a shop near reception in the foyer that sells stamps, pin badges and other souvenirs.

Instant Answers: Myohyang-sanmaek

Comments

Myohyang-sanmaek Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Myohyang-sanmaek restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Myohyang-sanmaek sightseeing.

View all Myohyang-sanmaek hotels