Gilgit Favorites

• Herlingkoffer base camp of Nanga Parbat, Pakistan
    Herlingkoffer base camp of Nanga Parbat,...
    by imranthetrekker
    Yaks from the highlands of Pakistan
    5400 m, Mazeno la, Gilgit-Baltistan

Most Recent Favorites in Gilgit

• imranthetrekker's Profile Photo

Travel to Gilgit, Hunza

by imranthetrekker Written Mar 6, 2012

Herlingkoffer base camp of Nanga Parbat, Pakistan

Favorite thing: Bonjour from Chitral,

I agree with the post above, NATCO is the best option to travel on KKH, very convenient buses.

The main hurdle was Atabad lake but now it's been turned into a boat safari in the highlands of Hunza so I hope you'd enjoy that in order to reach Passu.

Good luck ..

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• imranthetrekker's Profile Photo

Travel to Gilgit, Hunza

by imranthetrekker Written Mar 5, 2012

Peaks of Himalayas, Pakistan

Favorite thing: Bonjour from Chitral,

Last year, it took some 20 hrs to reach Gilgit from Rawalpindi, the road is under maintenance so as the road to Hunza.

There is a boat service across Atabad lake so you can reach Passu from there.

June, July, the best time to be there, due to very pleasant weather conditions.

Bon voyage ..

• Photography

Town centre

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: In the town centre of Gilgit, I saw many shops selling all kinds of products mostly for daily use and for tourists. I bought a Hunza cap and a long sleeves shirt. In the shop I asked the boss whether they have the turban, the turban that I saw in Lahore near India. The boss when he heard I mentioned the word 'India', his face switched to another look and said " no India, no India...nothing is from India..."

Street scene

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Yes this is a Gilgit street scene, they are not doing anything special, they just do the usual things, but I thought they did something so special and took the photo. The scene is somewhere in town centre, they are actually peoples in the market probably selling some foods.

Enjoying

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Sitting on Akhtar's jeep, I can relax, very relax without much thinking, I just take photos. This view is somewhere in Gilgit town, I can see the town is surrounded by the mountains, all surrounded, its a big valley on high altitude.

No photos

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Jinnah bridge is another bridge with a sign 'no photos', I saw it hung on there when I want to take more photos, Akhthar said "don't take photos" this time. So I don't understand him, why no photos, why take photos?

Jinnah bridge

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Jinnah bridge is another bridge, is not the suspension bridge. Jinnah is Cina or China if I am not mistaken, I heard it from a local Pakistani. So Jinnah bridge is Cina Bridge, a bridge built by the Chinese.

Watching this way

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Watching this way is a way I believe is a better way to watch at this Suspension bridge, you don't have to watch this way, but I suggest you watch this way because I believe this is the way. I know I am talking rubbish, but I enjoy it.

Watching Joo

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: After watching Akhtar's jeep, now take some time to watch Joo posing on the bridge, this pose is nothing special, not my usual over exciting pose, very normal decent instead. Standing on the bridge is memorable, don't miss it.

Waiting

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: You can't just cross the Suspension bridge, you have to wait for cars coming from the other side already passed by, only then you can drive across it. Picture is a car waiting patiently beside the road.

From far

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: I have to take more photos of the Suspension bridge, it looks beautiful to me and to many peoples. I know it doesn't impress so much in small picture here but in actual, you are thinking the same like me.

Entering the bridge

by l_joo Updated May 24, 2005

Favorite thing: Now I am taking the photo from Akhtar's jeep, the vehicle is very convenience to get out, the window is just a plastic sheet that can roll up. Akhtar wants us to get down the jeep to walk across the bridge and he is waiting for us over there.

In early morning

by l_joo Updated May 20, 2005

Favorite thing: Now the sun is rising at 7.30am somewhere before Gilgit, still looking at the mountains surrounding in front, still very exciting but the bus driver won't stop, gotta wait but looking. The was an Afghan guy sitting behind me with legs up to my head, I don't know what's wrong with his behavior but let him do it.

School

by l_joo Updated May 20, 2005

Favorite thing: There's a school or probably many schools, what I saw is a big grass field with some kids playing, what else, cricket. Everybody is a cricket champion in Pakistan or maybe hockey but I saw mostly hockey and the scenery of playing is like this, Inshallah (correct?) Anyway Inshallah.

Airport

by l_joo Updated May 20, 2005

Favorite thing: They said this is an airport, I went to have a look, yes is an airport, the location is right at the town centre but I did not see any planes. The road here is very easy to explore, there are not many roads actually, you can walk in one day for all. From airport to town centre is about 20 seconds if you ask me.

Instant Answers: Gilgit

Comments

Gilgit Favorites

Reviews and photos of Gilgit favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gilgit sightseeing.