Places to eat in Islamabad

by Ewingjr98

Most Viewed Restaurants in Islamabad

Zi Yun Chinese Restaurant

by Ewingjr98 Written Apr 25, 2012

Zi-Yun is a small, family-run Chinese restaurant in Islamabad that is a favorite among local Chinese workers and diplomats, along with a few other foreigners and even some locals. They serve huge quantities of authentic, inexpensive food, and it is one of the few Islamabad restaurants where you can get a beer with your meal.

We had a spicy rice soup, fried duck, and a few other good entrees. Not great, but good. But we ate a huge amount for just 2600 Pakistani Rupees.

Kabul Restaurant

by Ewingjr98 Updated Apr 1, 2012

Kabul Restaurant is a taste of authentic Afghanistan cuisine in the neighboring state of Pakistan. This is said to be the only Afghan restaurant in the city.

We had a great dinner at the Kabul Restaurant. We parked out front next to the open charcoal grill, and wandrered through the smoke, heat, and glares to find a table inside. The rather large restaurant was surprisingly busy, but we we quickly served bottled water.

We decided on cokes for our drinks, then we chose the naan bread, manto dumplings, and grilled chicken for our meals. The chicken divided into quarters and perhaps a bit dry, but tender and full of flavor. The manto dish had about 10 meat-filled dumplings topped with some kind of white sauces. The naan came out in one huge, perfectly cooked piece.

The service was very good, and the food cheap at just 400 Rupees per person.

• Rock Bistro: Pakistani food in original taste

by Uzma999 Written Sep 1, 2011

Rock Bistro is located in street 11-A, F-10/2, Islamabad. During my visit I found only this restaurant which is purpose build and all required facilities of a restaurant under one roof. Their see through kitchen gave the confidence of hygienic and neat and clean food. The food quality superb and all food was served hot. Being a new restaurant, it has a great ambiance. The top floor of Rock Bistro gives you a beautiful view of Margalla hills. We had nice U.S flavor seesha after food. It was a wonderful dining experience at Rock Bistro.

Favorite Dish: Desi food, steak and prawns. The perfect marination and right way of cooking.:)

• Festivals

• Tapas: Quality fast food at reasonable prices!

by uk2011 Written Jun 8, 2011

I recently got the chance to visit sector G-9 of Islamabad and I came across this small fast food restaurant called 'Tapas'. Their food tastes great and the staff is very friendly. They serve some nice dishes such as Burgers, Pastas, Salads, Chinese & Spanish dishes. It's recommended to visit this restaurant in the evening as you can enjoy outdoor dining.

Favorite Dish: Bombas Picante is my favorite dish. It is spanish dish containing grilled meat in mashed potatos and served with special sauce. It just makes your taste buds dance.

• Talkingfish: Only place to dine

by marya1 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I loved their menu, in the seafood menu they have also an extended menu of japanese, regional and european dishes so we had from where to choose our seafood. Plus we had for the kids a non seafood menu .
    They had nice music playing in the background and the table was very nice.
    Though the service was a bit slow but the food was great so didnt complained.

Parking was a problem but we parked few meters away and was fine.

Favorite Dish: I loved the sushis and my husband absolutely adored the aromatic tiger prawns.

• Drumstick restaurant: Chicken all the way!

by bdt2 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Forget all other places, this one is new, has a gerat ambience, quality food and superb service!
    I really loved it as soon as I eneterd it, food for everyone, chinese, indian, desi, continental too so we ha from where to choose!
    Nice atmoshere, friendly staff, friendly prices too!

Favorite Dish: Chicken handi bonelless was super!

• 3 more images

Talkingfish: GREAT Restaurant!

by bdt2 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Great food in great ambience! Highly recomended. Probably the only place in Islamabad which can be called a restaurant! It combines food and fun, quality and taste.
    TIP- get ready not to find where to park as its full always and they hve a small parking space but there is plenty of space across the street so do park and walk to the restaurant as its worth dinning in such superb place!

Favorite Dish: Favorite dish? All dishes are only to be found here and most of them combine dishes from around the world. I must admit I love the south american dish CEVICHE or the so simple but tasty grilled lobster.
    Not to miss a different Salade Nicoise with tuna or the grilled fish with sauces like champagne sauce or the mouth watering caper vinaigratte sauce!
    A must try!

• Dynasty Chinese Restaurant - Mariott Hotel: Top Class Chinese Food

by lachydragon Updated Apr 4, 2011

The Dynasty is one of the restaurants in the Islamabad Mariott Hotel on Aga Khan Rd. It seems to be the choice for tourists (particularly those staying at the Mariott) and wealthy Pakistanis.

Very good food, a large menu with lots of choice - we were taken to dinner so I can't comment on the price.

Dress code would be smart-casual (I was there in my trekking boots, long pants and a long-sleeve trekking shirt and felt a little under-dressed - but then I didn't really bring any smart-casual clothes for a trekking trip!)

Nadia Restaurant - Marriott Islamabad

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 14, 2010

Nadia is the Marriott's generic restaurant. This is where you get the basic hotel breakfast, which is better than you'd expect, along with lunches, and dinners. In the evening, you might stop by Nadia for a taste of local live music.

I've had three meals at Nadia, a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner. The breakfast was great: the buffet was included in my room price, and I enjoyed a wonderful variety of foods. I started with the made to order omelet, with at least 15 or 20 choices of fillings, then moved on to the East Asian dishes like Dim Sum, the South Asian dishes such as curry (for breakfast?).

I later had lunch at Nadia, but it was no where near as good. I decided on the Mezza, with hummus, tabouli, breads, and other middle eastern items. It was a bit rancid, and I was slightly sick for the next three days. At least it was inexpensive.

or dinner on another trip, I decided to try their Pakistani food; it seems Nadia offers a subset of food from the hotel's Dumpukht Pakistani restaurant. I had their Handi Gosht Laziz which is a huge dish of spicy lamb cooked with fresh onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and spices, served with fresh cream, raw vegetables, and a huge pile of warm chapati bread. The food was great, and way more than I could eat... this is truly a meal for two.

Sakura Japanese Resauant, Islamabad Marriott

by Ewingjr98 Updated Nov 14, 2010

I avoided Sakura through several trips to Islamabad, mainly because food is risky enough in Pakistan, why risk eating raw fish and getting real stomach problems?

Finally I decided to forego the risk and try some different food. I arrived at Sakura around 9pm, and it was pretty busy. I was impressed by the accuracy of the Japanese decorations, which resembled any nice Japanese restaurant in the US, if not in Japan.

I was seated right in the middle of the restaurant, which seems to be the norm in Pakistan. Honestly, I'd rather have just a bit of privacy, at least put me on the edge of the room. I noticed a Japanese family that was seated in the middle of the room move themselves to a more secluded table along the wall before their food arrived.

I ordered the mixed tempura soba for around 800 rupees ($9.50 US) and a Carlsburg beer for another 525 rupees (around $6). The soba was ok, served with tasty broth, but small, thin noodles. The tempura, on the other hand, was really good, with two huge prawns on top of s few big sliced and fried vegetables.

Thai Elephant, Marriott Islamabad

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 26, 2010

Thai Elephant is one of about six restaurants in the Islamabad Marriott. I stopped in one night and had a great dinner. The restaurant was very quiet when I arrived, with only a few tables full. I got a table near the big aquarium and scanned the menu with its variety of standard Thai chicken, beef, rice and noodle dishes. I decided on the stir fried noodles with chicken (Rs ~700), along with a Carlsburg beer ($Rs 525). The noodles were excellent, tasty with just enough spiciness. The serving size was adequate, just enough for a very good meal.

Like the other restaurants at the Marriott, Thai Elephant has authentic decor, great service, and good food at reasonable prices.

Jason's Steak House, Marriott Islamabad

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 23, 2010

Jason's Steakhouse is one of about six upscale restaurants in the Marriott Hotel in Islamabad. I stopped by one night during Ramadan, and the restaurant was virtually deserted. Jason's has a small, dark, and very cozy interior with jog heavy furniture and lots of dark wood on the walls and floor. Very much like a high end Texas steakhouse.

My meal started with complimentary bread served with garlic butter and oil & vinegar. I chose a sirloin steak with grilled vegetables and risotto. The steak was much bigger than expected and grilled to perfection. The veggies were also very tasty and the risotto so-so.

All in all, this was a very good American style restaurant with good food and reasonable prices at around $10 a person.

Dynasty Chinese Restaurant, Marriott Islamabad

by Ewingjr98 Updated Aug 23, 2010

Very classy, but surprisingly tasty and authentic. On my first night in Islamabad, we decided to try the Chinese restaurant in the Marriott hotel. The restaurant was nearly deserted except for the 6 or 8 waiters and staff present. They started us off with complimentary water in a bottle and a basket of rice chips. I started my meal with their steamed "dim sum" dumplings, then had fried duck with steamed rice. I was also happy to discover they served beer from the bar, called Rumor, located in the hotel's basement. The food was delicious and excellent, the decor very nice, the staff almost flawless, and the prices not too bad for high-end Chinese food at about 1500 rupees for a great meal (less than $20).

• Ambassador Hotel Restaurant: Good, filling, cheap dinners

by lachydragon Updated Apr 5, 2008

The Ambassador Hotel had a good dining room serving Pakistani dishes and some Western meals as well. I steered clear of the western dishes figuring that the Pakistani ones would be tastier (and why travel just to eat what you normally eat at home!). The meals were large and very tasty.

The decor was pleasant and the restaurant looks out onto the hotel's grassy courtyard on one side and out to the streetfront on the other.

Prices were reasonable (although I only really ate there so I can't compare to the local average too well) but expect to pay about Rs.150 for main meals - if my memory serves me correctly!

Favorite Dish: Chicken Jalfarasi - very good chicken dish cooked with onion and vegetables and served with a fired egg on top - yum!

• Talkingfish: Great seafood in unique ambience

by iwspak Written Dec 22, 2007

It was amazing to discover such a place in Islamabad. The ambience in the restaurant above was fantastic with blues bar and music. The food was a little late in coming (we were warned) but matched the ambience in every way. Grilled lobster and jumbo prawns were the best we had eaten anywhere. The downstairs Beathouse is a themed Music Cafe. Again the decor is amazing but the music a little too loud for our liking. The place was crammed with fun loving youngsters but note that under 21s are not allowed. We definately recommend this place to anyone visiting Islamabad.

Favorite Dish: Grilled Lobster - very juicy and fresh meat served with tartar sauce.
    There is also a variety of non seafood dishes available. We tried London Steak which was well worth it.

• Work Abroad

Latest: Feb 26, 2014
Best Western Regency Hotel Islamabad
Latest: Jan 3, 2014

Instant Answers: Islamabad

Comments

Islamabad Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Islamabad locals.
Map of Islamabad