Pakistani Dress, Islamabad

Know about this? Rate It!

• Me, the Shalwar Qamiz and the 1000Rupee note.
    Me, the Shalwar Qamiz and the 1000Rupee...
    by lachydragon
    My friend Ray in the Abpaara District
    by lachydragon
  • Along the Abpaara District: Picking up Fabric as gifts

by lachydragon Updated Jun 8, 2003

My friend Ray in the Abpaara District

Any of the fabric stores - you can tell them by the rolls and rolls of material standing outside and lining every wall of the shops!

What to buy: I wanted to pick up some Paikstani fabrics for Mum as a gift. Ray and I checked out the fabric shops which seemed to be pretty prolific in the Abpaara district near our hotel (Ambassador Hotel- See Accommodation tip). I had some trouble communicating that I only wanted singe lengths of fabric and not a three piece women's shalwar qamiz, but managed to shop around enough to find shops who had no problems selling single lengths of fabric. I was looking for some designs which had a more traditional Pakistani look to them but had a bit of trouble as most of the fashions are using imported fabrics from South-East Asia.....it took a bit of searching but I found some great pieces that Mum was thrilled to receive!

What to pay: I picked up lengths of about 3 metres for around 100-300 Rupees. It varies greatly with the kind of material.

• Chen One & lots of others: Buy a Shalwar Qamiz (Kameez etc....)

by lachydragon Updated Dec 18, 2002

Me, the Shalwar Qamiz and the 1000Rupee note.

I bought a great Shalwar Qamiz in the Chen-One store at the Jinnah market, we were taken to one shop by one of the shopkeepers (who seemed to own a gift shop- with no clothes in sight) and then he went off to find appropriate items from another shop for us. This wasn't to do, so we set off to find a dedicated shop selling clothing. We eventually found one and I tried on a few items, the pants are sold without elastic and the shop owner then fitted an appropraite piece of elastic for my waist size.

What to pay: Now this was my first attempt at purchasing in Pakistan and I was struggling a bit with the bargaining. The price tag has Rs.1200 on it and after some consternation I got it down to 950, an amount I was more happy with considering I was hoping to get some change from my Rs.1000 note!

Please don't tell me I paid too much, but you will have to work these things out for yourself - you can probably do a better job with the bargaining, I am such a pacifist that I really struggle!

Instant Answers: Islamabad