Nagar Parkar Things to Do

• An Ancient Drawing in Pakistan's Jain Temple
    An Ancient Drawing in Pakistan's Jain...
  • Elephant Drawing in Pakistan's Ancient Jain Temple
    Elephant Drawing in Pakistan's Ancient...
    by Mozumbus
  • Hanoman Drawing in Pakistan's Ancient Jain Temple?
    Hanoman Drawing in Pakistan's Ancient...

Most Recent Things to Do in Nagar Parkar

Small Hindu Temple at Nagarparkar Market Entrance

A Small Hindu Temple at Nakarparkar Main Market

Being a Hindu dominated locality, there are many Hindu temples around Nagarparkar town.

In addition to formal places of worship, I saw this one at the entrance of Nagarparkar market, which consisted of odd 3 dozen shops. As can be seen from the photograph above the temple was a small cubical painted with white.

Inside of the temple were two doll like deities but I am sure that was not Lakshmi - the Hindu Goddess of Money which can be seen around marketplace and shops. So if you know what this temple is called please do enlighten me. I will be obliged.

This temple was located in the close vicinity to the Ancient Jain Temple which we visited later in the day.

The site is unique in a country which is predominantly Muslim, ~99%, and reminds the old days of the United Sub-Continent.

For details and photographs of my Nagar Parkar trip please see: Karachi to Nagarparkar

Another Ancient Temple in Nagarparkar

A Place of Worship Behind the Bushes

While strolling around the Nagarparkar town, I spotted a stupa like structure visible from behind the bushes hinting for a place of worship.

When we entered inside through the bushes, it appeared like an abandoned temple, most likely a Jain Mandir(?), however, it was not as big as the other Ancient Jain Temple we visited later in the day.

I tried to ask a passerby about the place but he could not tell me anything but that the place is no more visited except by the tourists. So I name this place as The Temple of God of Tourists (with no offend intended).

Ancient Jain Temples around Nagar Parkar

Pigeon sitting on Pakistan's Ancient Jain Temple

Presence of ancient Jain Temples around Nagar Parkar suggests that it was a religiously important town in the ancient times.

For a history and archeology buff, this place is no less than a treasure but even for an ordinary wanderer like me it was a great enlightening opportunity as you cannot find them such ancient sites everyday.

Before visiting Jain Temple, I had read on travel forums that there are number of ancient temples around Nagar Parkar which was later confirmed by the locals there but we only had the time to explore one of them located inside the Nagar Parkar town.

As can be seen from my Nagar Parkar page photo, building of the temple is rustic but quite impressive with very intricate carving from the outside and equally detailed paintings from the inside. The temple is abandoned now and no more visited by worshipers but it is absolutely recommended to be respectful as visiting any other religiously important sight.

What interests me most there was the detail in drawings inside mostly depicting jungle life, hence suggesting the antiquity, maybe!

Sight needs some maintenance before it wanes down to complete shambles. I also observed that most of the sculptures and paintings were defaced maybe because of religious reasons which was not a pleasant sight obviously.

For more information about this site, I found the following newspaper report worth reading: A ravaged Jain temple corroding away with time

There is no entry fee and looks like that the sight remains open 24 hours as there is little supervision and even lesser tourists.

Nagarparkar's Jain Temple: Sculptures and Carvings

Intricate Carving at Jain Temple's Entrance

Nagarparkar is famous for its various ancient Jain Temples, out of which I got the opportunity to visit the one located right inside the town.

Although a bit torn down and abandoned, it was a massive structure with impressive interior and revealing wall paintings.

The most imminent aspect of the structure was the intricate carvings and sculptures which suggest the richness of human skills even in the ancient times. I also observed a variety in the arts which might be due to difference in the receptive era they had been created.

Pagan sculptures were defaced maybe because of the religious reasons.

Details of my Karachi - Nagarparkar trip with more photographs can be seen by clicking this link

Nagarparkar's Ancient Jain Temple: the Interior

Inside of the Ancient Jain Temple Dome

Out of many ancient Jain Temples around Nagarparkar, I got the opportunity to visit the one located inside the Nagarparkar town.

Entrance of the temple was really impressive with intricately carved pillars and sculptures.

When you enter, first there is a compound under the dome and then an inner smaller compound. The smaller compound must be a sacred place as an empty attic there suggested that it was inhibited by a deity, which was no more there. Some of the inside walls are painted with ancient looking drawings.

Nagarparkar's Ancient Jain Temple: Wall Paintings

An Ancient Drawing in Pakistan's Jain Temple

There are many ancient Jain Temples around Nagarparkar - Pakistan, out of which I got the opportunity to visit one located inside Nagarparkar town near the main bazaar.

I am not much aware about Jain Religion and did not know what to expect there exactly, but the ancient looking drawings inside the abandoned temple caught my attention. If studied in detail, these drawings maybe helpful in understanding the life hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago.

Some drawings depicted the life in a jungle and hence appears older than those depicting the court. An expert can decode them better than me, so if you are one then please enlighten me. I would be obliged.

Instant Answers: Nagar Parkar

Comments

Nagar Parkar Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Nagar Parkar things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nagar Parkar sightseeing.