Nagar Parkar Transportation

• Kekra: WW-II Trucks Used for Public Transportation
    Kekra: WW-II Trucks Used for Public...
    by Mozumbus
  • Kekra=Crab as Both can Move in the Sand Easily!
    Kekra=Crab as Both can Move in the Sand...
    by Mozumbus
    Nagarparkar's 'Desert Rescue Service'!

Best Rated Transportation in Nagar Parkar

Kekra: WW-II Trucks as Public Transport

by Mozumbus Updated Apr 19, 2013

Though not ancient as a Jain Temple, these WW-II trucks were the main mode of public transportation until recently, when there were no proper roads around Nagarparkar and Thar Desert, . Then people used to travel in its big trunk while keep standing as there are usually no seating arrangements. A local told me that it used to take 10 hours to cover the distance which can now be done in a couple of hours!

It was the former President Musharraf who carried massive development around Thar - although I am not his supporter but one should be appreciated of their good deeds even if they were a dictator!

Some of these trucks are still running in the far flung areas of Thar and can be seen around Nagarparkar also. They are called 'Kekra', which means 'crab' - because of their ability to move on the sand. Although they belong to a remote area but they are not behind other areas of the country when it comes to the traditional Pakistani Truck Art!

For details and photographs of my Nagar Parkar trip please see: Karachi to Nagarparkar

Kekra: WW-II Trucks Used for Public Transportation Kekra=Crab as Both can Move in the Sand Easily!

Rescue Service in the Desert

by Mozumbus Updated Apr 19, 2013

While we were going to Kasbo - a town ahead of Nagarparkar and near the Pakistan-India border, our coaster got stuck in the Desert!

Then I was thinking that we would have been better off with a Kekra!

After guys wasted all their energy in pushing the coaster out of the deep sand, a local suggested to call the state-of-the-art Desert Rescue Service, i.e. a tractor which is otherwise used for agriculture!

Apart from the fact that it was powerful enough to bring the urban coaster out of it, the decoration on the tractor perfectly depicted the colorful nature of Thar life.

Nagarparkar's 'Desert Rescue Service'! One Tractor Trolley = So Many Body Builders! :-P

The Racing Bull Cart of Nagarparkar

by Mozumbus Updated Apr 19, 2013

Bull Carts are not only the most efficient transport around Nagarparkar, especially for short distances, but they are considered as status symbol also.

They are used to carry goods, water drums, and obviously people on desert treks. I requested this guy to give us a ride who agreed happily. It was a lifetime experience as these powerful bulls, with beautiful crescent horns, can run faster than humans I guess - so we had to sit really tight otherwise we could have fallen with one small jerk!

Bull Cart: Thar's Mercedes with Crescent Horns!

Public Transport: Nagarparkar to Naukot

by Mozumbus Updated Apr 22, 2013

Before departing for this trip I tried to find out a public transport direct from Karachi to Nagarparkar but for no avail.

While strolling around Nagarparkar, I saw this bus - which was the only bus I saw there - which was reportedly going to Naukot. From Naukot, one can find another transport to go beyond.

The guy was interested in me as there were little passengers and quoted around Rs. 240 for Nagarparkar-Naukot. But if I were to take the bus, I would rather prefer alighting at Mithhi which is halfway between Nagarparkar and Naukot as Mithhi is a bigger city then Naukot hence more chances to get a direct transport to Karachi, or other cities in Sind.

Sometime back I read this blog written by a fellow traveler who took public transport all the way to Nagarparkar and found that pretty useful for reference: Tharparkar!

Nagarparkar to Naukot: Only Bus I Saw There

Karachi to Nagarparkar Transportation Guide

by Mozumbus Updated Apr 23, 2013

Karachi to Nagarparkar is a serious undertaking; around 500km, which translates into 10 hours of almost continuous driving. Crossing through Thar Desert, the drive can easily be prolonged if one fails to avoid enroute stops, which at times become enchantingly inevitable as there are many difficult to miss sights on the way.

So ultimately we did that in more than 24 hours!

But after the trip, I can easily suggest that it was completely worth it.

On the way up we took, Karachi-Hyderabad-Mirpurkhas-Naukot-Mithi-Nagarparkar route.

That included a stopover at Naukot city with an overview of its picturesque Fort, a sojourn at Mithi for tea and Gaddi Bhit - the sand dune, an insight into a typical Thari village around sunset, and a not-so-inevitable overnight stay at Mirpurkhas right at the start of the journey.

On the way back, the plan was to go via Umerkot, which had to be abandoned because of lack of time.

Road Condition
    Karachi to Nagarparkar route can be divided into three sections; the last one, i.e. Naukot to Nagarparkar, is ~180 km paved road which passes through the heart of Thar Desert. This part can be done in 3-4 hours without stops, however, 5-6 hours would be a realistic timeline including sightseeing and food stopovers first at Naukot and then at Mithi, later one being the district headquarter and the busiest town around.

First section, i.e. Karachi to Hyderabad, can easily be done with the standard Super Highway; ~160 km and 2-3 hours.

For the middle section, i.e. Hyderabad to Naukot, we made a detour to include Mirpurkhas in the itinerary. That made it 160 km, 3 hours, including the additional 25 km. Hyderabad-Mirpurkhas via Tando Allahyar road is newly built but there was a protest going on then stopping the traffic for odd one hour. Mirpurkhas-Naukot patch was the worst in the whole trip due to the road deterioration.

Summary
    Karachi to Hyderabad: 160km | 2-3 hours | moderately good road
    Hyderabad to Naukot via Mirpurkhas: 160km | >3 hours | second part was bad
    Naukot to Nagarparkar: 180km | 3-6 hours | pretty decent road

Alternate Route
    There is an entirely alternate route which passes through Badin and Diplo and joins the above route directly at Mithi. This route is even lesser traveled which I would definitely like to take next time when I will be heading to the East. So if you have an experience with this alternate route, especially with the Badin-Diplo-Mithi section, please do enlighten me.

Other Considerations: Food, Cellular Connectivity, Security, etc*
    Food was available throughout the road and we easily found good quality meals and tea with the help of our instincts. Cellular connectivity was also better then expected - very few outages when we were traveling deep in the desert between two towns. We did not feel insecure at any moment. From the face of it, it appeared that even opportunistic theft is not so common around desert. People looked friendly, harmless, and laid-back. Nonetheless, Farrukh arranged for a policeman which was handy at the check-posts, etc. Taking identity documents would be wise as this is a border area and foreigners might require some sort of permission or registration - so better check beforehand.

Karachi to Nagarparkar Milestone: Karachi 443km Our Coaster in Naukot Town Thar Desert Starts from Here Crossing the Desrt on the Roof was Fun!!

Instant Answers: Nagar Parkar

Comments

Nagar Parkar Transportation

Reviews and photos of Nagar Parkar transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nagar Parkar sightseeing.