Thatta Tourist Traps

The Two Canals K2 & K3.
    I fell in this Canal.
    by sdq
    Another view of the Canal.

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Thatta

• sdq's Profile Photo

Avoid Shortcuts !

by sdq Written Sep 15, 2012
    The Two Canals K2 & K3.

In 2007 I was coming from Thatta near Gujjo the road was damaged so a friend of mine who lived in Thatta advised me to take a shortcut that was a narrow road between two canals which bring water from Karly Lake to Karachi namely K2 and K3. I used those roads couple of times as it was a short cut and in this way I avoided the damaged part of the road, but on September 14, 2007 when I was returning from Thatta my car skidded and fell in the canal which was 15 feet deep and 25 feet broad. I had two friends with me and one of them knew little bit of swimming but the other one could not swim at all, I first helped out the one who can swim and shouted to the other to climb on the roof of the car which started to drown from the front and when I dived back for the other one he was already in the water. After a tough effort I manage to bring him also to the corner but felt lucky that I could swim or otherwise today I won't be writing this tip.

Unique Suggestions: We all should learn how to swim.

Fun Alternatives: We should avoid shortcuts as sometimes they becomes dangerous.

• Photography
    • Adventure Travel

• besal's Profile Photo

Snake Charmers

by besal Updated May 17, 2009

Snake man

At Makli, you will notice several snake charmers sitting around, asking for alms. Simple thing is to ignore them!

However be very cautious of these snake charmers as they are sly fox. After you have done your sightseeing, you get back in your car, and reverse to get back on the road, you hear a loud scream of the snake charmer; "YOU HAVE KILLED MY MONGOOES."

Mongoose is a small rodent which these snake charmers utilize in their show where the cobra and the mongoose fight each other, to death...or close to it.

What happens is that the snake charmer drugs the mongoose listless, knicks the skin so some blood comes out, and throws it near the car. You are totally unaware of this, and then gains sympathies of other onlookers...demanding money as you have killed his livelihood.

Unique Suggestions: The best thing to do is park your car at a distance from where ever these snake charmers are sitting. And if you had to park your car near one, have someone hang out near the car when you reverses.

Fun Alternatives: Pay to watch the snake-charmer show, and enjoy this unique experience of the cobra dancing to the tune of its pied piper, and maybe a wrestling match between mongoose and snake.

Instant Answers: Thatta

Comments

Thatta Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Thatta tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Thatta sightseeing.