Greenbelt and Glorietta, Manila

inside
    just across the park
    A4 Kobe beef 6 ounce rib eye steak
  • machomikemd's Profile Photo

Umu: Japanese Kobe Beef Steak Festival (Part 2)

by machomikemd Written Aug 15, 2011
    inside

Part two of My Umu Japanese restaurant tips with more pictures.

Umu Japanese restaurant in Dusit Hotel Manila in Makati City is knowned for really expensive but very satisfying japanese cuisine and they have seasonal promotions for the different japanese regional cuisines with the japanese goodies flown strait from japan hence the amazing authenticity and steep prices of their japanese goodies.I have eaten a few times on this wonderful japanese restaurant and I would rate it upon the top three japanese restaurants of the philippines in terms of the food, the ingredients, the ambiance and the price. On a revisit to the Hotel, I happen to chance upon their Kobe Beef Steak festival and since I'm a lover of steak, I have to try this out!

Favorite Dish: Wagyu Steaks are now prevalent in the Philippines and there are many wagyu steakhouses in the philippines like House of Wagyu, Fire Place, Melo's and more (see my separate tips of each) but wagyu nowadays now means a cross breed of japanese kobe or mishima beef and the american angus beef or the australian beef and others. (wagyu- japanese beef + other beef). Most wagyu steakhouses in the Philippines offer Australian or American wagyu (there are also chilean wagyu, Argentinian Wagyu and European Wagyu steaks). There are only three japanese restaurants in the philippines that offer authentic KOBE Beef and Steaks! (Kobe beef must be only grown in the kobe region of Japan, it's like champagne versus sparkling wine ok, where champagne produces outside of champagne region of france is called sparkling wine). Kobe Beef are graded from A1 to A5 due to it's marbling and the Umu Restaurant is offering A 4 and A 5 kobe beef from Ibaragi, japan. The Rib Eye Steaks costs 4,500 pesos for 6 ounces of A4 Kobe rib eye and 6,000 pesos for an A 5 Kobe rib eye steak (excluding side dishes or soup or drinks, the price is just for the steak). The Kobe Steaks are not large unlike the wagyu crossbred steaks since the kobe beef is more marbled with intramuscular fat hence you cannot eat more then 10 ounces of kobe beef steak without having dizzy spells from all the fat! but they are butter knife tender and are softer than the wagyu steaks and more flavorful beef.

Other meals here are really expensive like an iced teal drink will cost 250 pesos an order, tempura at 500 pesos an order. A Gindara will cost 600 pesos an order.

Opens from 11:30 am - 2:30 pm, 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm today.

* Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
    * Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm

Umu: Japanese Kobe Beef Steak Festival

by machomikemd Updated Aug 15, 2011
    entrance

Favorite Dish: This will be a two part tip with more pictures of Umu Restaurant and the steaks.

Opens from 11:30 am - 2:30 pm, 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm today.

* Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
    * Su, M, T, W, Th, F, Sa: 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm

• pattigarrucho's Profile Photo

Myron's Place: Ratatouille @ Myron's Place

by pattigarrucho Written Jun 7, 2011

Basing on the previous reviews made for this resto, I would have to agree that the place, food and service were top of the line. But...

My husband and I just had dinner a few hours ago to celebrate his birthday. We seated ourselves comfortably in one of the booths near the mall entrance. While the husband was figuring out what he'll have from the menu, I was checking out the place and looking over the servers who passed taking notice of their crisp and clean uniforms. I was actually thinking they'd be another Tagaytay Highlands Steakhouse considering the menu, less the rugged look of course. Dinner should be terrific and I am expecting a lot.

We had the Angus Sisig Hash for starters and for our main dish, hubby had Steak Diane while I had the Baby Back Ribs. All were superb! Quantity was just enough for a hearty meal, presentation was excellent and food texture and taste were just awesome. It was almost perfect and I was already thinking of what to have for dessert halfway through my ordered ribs, when a mouse just suddenly appeared at the top of the couch where hubby was sitting and going near him fast. I squealed and he flinched. And when he did, the mouse retreated and scurried off down the floor towards the door. "Is it one of those flying roaches? Bec if it is I'll scream", he said. I told him it was a mouse, a little loudly so the servers can hear. No other customers were near our table and we were the last few folks in there. Our waiter approached us and apologized mentioning fumigation was just done thus the pests are coming out. We resumed eating since it never came near enough to spoil our dinner. When hubby was done eating and I was just finishing up, Ratatouille peeked from the side of our table and was trying to get up. That did it, I stood up in a panic and grabbed my bag leaving my phone still at the table. Our waiter came rushing back and did his same spiel. He asked if we can just transfer to another table. We declined having lost our appetite and just asked for the bill. The waiter kept apologizing until we were out the door.

Myron's Place sure does have good food and great service... only problem's the sanitation. Well, at least Vinz's birthday dinner this year was very memorable. We're sure to share this story with friends and our kids. We even have our own joke about the situation: Remy was our chef, and probably just wanted to ask how our food was, just as how chefs do, thus he came to our table twice. Sigh!

I have to hand it to this resto, your ribs and steaks are that good... mice would come up couches and tables for it.

• gypsysoul73's Profile Photo

Via Mare: Sample the Oyster Bar

by gypsysoul73 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Via Mare has earned a reputation for serving seafood at it's finest and best-loved Filipino fares. The best thing about this restaurant though is their Oyster Bar.

Favorite Dish: The Oyster Bar!!!
    Lumpiang Ubod - fresh spring roll
    Pancit Luglog - noodles
    Bibingka Galapong - I love this as an afternoon snack or even dessert.

For the adventurous palate, try the Balut Surprise. A gastronomic experience you won't soon forget.

• luckypc's Profile Photo

Oody's Thai Rice Noodles 'n Bar: Exceedingly Bad customer service at the door

by luckypc Updated Mar 29, 2010

I was walking around greenbelt looking for some thai food and I saw this restaurant. The interior looked good inside so I queried the man who was outside the door if there was a take away menu (brochure) so I can see whether my favourite dish would be there so I can come back there to eat another day. He said there was no takeaway menus so I asked what is the average price for dinner here and he said that he did not know "I AM NEW HERE". I thought this was a lazy answer so I just walked away because he was not being helpful. Then when I was waiting for my friend who was in the toilet then the man came back and said "OK YOU GO TO GLORIETTA TO EAT THERE, DONT YOU COME BACK HERE AGAIN". Well i guess from what he said you can see how rude and dodgy and unwelcoming and lazy the man is. Its a shame because the restaurant owner has gone to a lot of effort to make this restaurant very presentable with nice food but unfortunately the owner has disregarded having a good front door man. I would not recommend anyone coming to this restaurant because the front door man is clearly has no people skills and also his grasp of english is very small. He will probably not even get a job as a street vendor. Going to Jolli bee would be a better experience because at least they make you feel welcome there. Its such a shame for a restaurant in the upscale part of manila. Thats what happens if you hire unqualified staff at such a important position.

Favorite Dish: The thai food dishes looked good if I had a chance to try it.

• sirenna's Profile Photo

Italianni's: Italianni's

by sirenna Updated Nov 29, 2007

It was hard to choose from the tempting selection of restaurants in the area, but we were drawn to Italianni's, which, along with excellent service, has a delicious menu of Italian food. I really enjoyed the black pepper crusted fish with linguini pasta, while my partner's beef dish was cooked to perfection. We also tasted the fried calamares (probably the best example of this dish that I have tried so far) and green salad with lemon pepper shrimp.
    The outside dining area doesn't get too hot thanks to the provision of several large fans, and the live accoustic music from a neighbouring restaurant is loud enough to be heard and enjoyed without being intrusive.
    Good service too - a winner!

Greenbelt and Glorietta: Big Buddha

by joysweet Written Oct 9, 2007

Located at the 2nd floor of Greenbelt 3, this restaurant is very easy to miss as it is almost at the end of the building. The place has a very open feel to it. The food was good, better than Good Earth. They will give you free chips while waiting for your order. They serve quite fast considering they are on a 'cooked when order' basis, but I guess they already have the rice available and just stir fry the main dishes. It was funny though that they served the dumplings last. Bottomless drink was filled with ice to the brim, lessining the taste of the soda. House water served upon request.

Favorite Dish: Crab Meat Fried Rice - 140
    Kung Pao Chicken 220
    Scallop Dumpling 90
    Chicken Egg Drop Soup - 85
    Pepsi Max Bottomless - 55

with VAT and Local Tax, no service charge

Greenbelt and Glorietta: Capricciosa

by joysweet Written Oct 9, 2007

We first tried this restaurant because Jose and I were both on a diet and wanted to eat salad. Not knowing where there are salad, I suggested this place.

The restaurant is cozy, with some booths and long tables that can be connected for big gatherings. They don't have much of a crowd during lunch, I'm guessing because the price is a bit expensive than what a normal office person usually pay for.

My only complain is that they take away the dishes as soon as you finish, no time to linger at the restaurant unless you order desserts.

Favorite Dish: We ordered in 2 visits:
    Marinated Tuna and Calamari Salad - 295p, which is a very refreshing summery type of salad. the serving was very big, bigger than the caesar salad we ordered previously.
    Aglio Olio Pasta - 310p for their regular serving (good for 2 people) - too spicy for my taste.
    Garlic toast - 50p for 4 pcs of big bread. bigger than the garlic toast they serve with the pasta.
    Caesar SAlad with Grilled Chiken - 335p, took a while to serve this because they still have to grill the chicken.
    Carbonarra - 310p - very delicious! a bit peppery for my taste, but the sauce has a good consistency.
    Santa Victoria sparkling water - 110p.

with 12% vat and 10% sc

Greenbelt and Glorietta: The Good Earth Tea Room

by joysweet Written Oct 9, 2007

This place is relatively quiet - always wondered why there seem to be o few people eating here. The food is just so-so, the ambiance is ok. There are better chinese restaurants.

Favorite Dish: Spareribs - 350p

with 12% Evat and 10% Service Charge

Greenbelt and Glorietta: BreadTalk

by machomikemd Updated Sep 7, 2007

Bread Talk logo

BreadTalk opened in Singapore in 2000 with a revolutionary take on the bread industry. Entering the market with its new concept of boutique bakery, it shook up the industry with its innovative and creative products. Currently the market leader in the new concept bakery, BreadTalk was listed in June 2003 on the Singapore Exchange, giving customers a stake in the popular bakery.

BreadTalk stores are recognised by their distinctive BreadTalk signboards and brightly lit store interiors. A novel concept that BreadTalk embraced was its "see-through" kitchens, often located next to or within the retail outlet, separated from the main retail space by transparent glass panes, allowing the public to view the kitchens. The rationale for doing this was that it would promote confidence in their hygiene quality and food standards.

BreadTalk opened in Manila as an independent franchise in May, 2004 in Glorietta 4, Ayala Center. This flagship store has since been followed by seven (7) more outlets in Rockwell Power Plant Mall, Megamall Bldg. A, Alabang Town Center, Gateway Mall, Araneta Ctr., Robinsons Place- Ermita, SM Mall of Asia and in SM City North Edsa, The Block.

Favorite Dish: BreadTalk's signature food items are various chicken and pork floss buns, Naan Bread (Indian Flatbread with Ghee and curry) at 55 pesos (my Favorite) but too bad they don't have Roti Canai which is my other favorite; mount fuji swirl: sweet bun filled with whipped cream and a pandan coconut-like jam that is called kaya. Mmo, as the soft, white bread matched the cream and delicate filling well. nonya chunk: inspired by nonya dumplings, a steamed spicy glutinous rice dumpling wrapped in leaves. the nonya chunk is a pandan-wrapped bun with a spicy meat filling, and topped with a little cheddar cheese. grassland: a green tea chiffon cake with cream and sugared red beans layers. (150-250 pesos)

the sisig bun. a concession to the filipino public. i'll let you guess from the shape what sisig is made from. this was actually darned tasty. (55 Pesos)

Store hours:
    Mon-Thurs: 11am-9pm
    Fri: 11am-10:30pm
    Sat: 10am-10:30pm
    Sun: 10am-9:30pm

• joysweet's Profile Photo

Greenbelt and Glorietta - Cascada: Cascada: Bounties of the land, Harvest of the Sea

by joysweet Written Jul 3, 2007

steak and egg (tapsilog)

Their tagline says: Bounties of the land, Harvest of the Sea

I think their specialty is grilled food (they have a lot of barbeques, with the 7skewer their bestseller)

Restaurant was very cozy for a lunch rush, not a lot of people eating; the food was so-so for me having ordered Steak and Egg (which turned out to be the local breakfast staple "Tapsilog").

Jose ordered the prawn gambas which he said was very delicious, albeit a small serving (just 3 pieces of shrimp)

Favorite Dish: We ordered:
    Lunch Special - Prawn Gambas with mixed veggies and garlic rice, clam chowder soup - 300p
    Steak and Egg with Garlic Rice and very small serving of salad - 200p
    Coke light - 50p

With 12% Vat and 10% Service Charge

Greenbelt and Glorietta - Bubba Gump: Bubba Gump

by joysweet Written Jul 1, 2007

scambi

Inpired by the movie Forrest Gump - their designs and food was based on the funny Tom Hanks Movie. The restaurant isn't a full as we were expecting during lunch time, probably because it is a bit expensive. We decided to try this because I love shrimp and I haven't eaten here yet. Service was excellent, they have this plates called "Run Forrest Run" in blue and "Stop Forrest Stop" in red. If you put up the red plate, the server will come to your table - no need to call them out or raise your hand. The food is good. Scampi was cooked in a good wine (according to Jose), their calamari is soft (squid was fresh). This restaurant is one that will be on our return list! :)

Favorite Dish: Calamari Rings - served in a bed of lettuce with 2 sauce (i forgot to ask what the dips were) - 270p
    Scampi Linguini - one order is good for 2, so we had our order split. - 480p
    Bottomless Soda - 85p

with 12% vat, 10% service charge, 1%Local Tax

Greenbelt and Glorietta - Pepato: Pepato

by joysweet Updated May 23, 2007

tagtalle negro

Is the crown in Chef Gaita Fores chain of restaurants (Cibo, Cafe Bola, Pepato). Pepato is her "Fine Dining" Restaurant. Loved the ambiance, very quiet. We were seated at the window area where you can people watch (in fact I saw VTer Yellowbell while we were eating). Although their "maze" design on the window kept distracting me.

Favorite Dish: Chorizo Pannacotta P250 - tasted a little weird for my taste hehhe

Parma Appetizer 195 - this is frozen chico fruit wrapped in parma ham

Carbonara 295
    Tagtalle Nero - 485
    Gumamela Iced Tea - 95
    Cerveza Negra - 175

Greenbelt and Glorietta: Gaudi Restaurant

by joysweet Written Apr 22, 2007

Gaudi was obviously named after the famed Catalan native Antonio Gaudi. One of the few restaurants here in Manila serving authentic Spanish cuisine. The location is very nice, their balcony is overlooking the greenery of Greenbelt. Black Paella (Negre amb) is good, it was my first time to taste such a flavor of paella (was used to the seafood variety). Morcilla is blood sausages, quite freaky to try it at first, but it was ok, a bit too salty for my taste.

Favorite Dish: Negre amb Ali i Oli - 600
    Morcilla - 140
    San Miguel Pale Pilsen - 55

with 10% service charge and 12% vat

• trisanna's Profile Photo

Greenbelt Shopping Mall: Various

by trisanna Updated Mar 31, 2007

We stayed in Makati City and found going to the Greenbelt Shopping Centre for dinner very easy. There are so many restaurants. Everything from Philippino to Japanese, Greek, Italian and Middle Eastern. There is something here for anyone. Greenbelt 1 has more simple,but good restaurants. Cafe de Mar ( i think) was really good. A huge deli france. At Greenbelt 3-lots of cafes and the famous Chocolate Bar by Max Brenner-which is awesome.

Instant Answers: Manila