Places to eat in Manila

Most Viewed Restaurants in Manila

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

Mang Inasal, Philippines

by TrendsetterME Updated May 18, 2013

Definitely one of the best options in Philippines to eat BBQ Chicken ... :)

Thats a very favourite restaurant of mine which I strongly recommend, rice wrapped in banana leaves and chicken on bamboo sticks or as part in menu grilled ... In case u wanna have a change, also fish and several add on's r available .... And the best is to do as the locals do, eat w ur hands ....

Even some menus are with unlimited rice, good option to get totally full in case u r short on ur budget ...

Many branches all over Philippines ...

• crewrower's Profile Photo

Teriyaki Dragon: Japanese teriyaki

by crewrower Written Jan 3, 2013

Malate and Ermita is laden with Japanese and Korean restaurants. Honestly I do not know what is "the best" Japanese restaurant in the area, but in January 2013 my wife and I went to "Teriyaki Dragon". The price came to Php3300 (US$81). We did a grill set (which included 5 types of 'premium' US beefs, 3 bowls of rice and 3 small draft beers) for 1800, 500 for several dishes of extra vegetables (liked the ***ake mushrooms best of the vegetables we tried, which also included eggplant and carrots), some tofu, beans, and one extra tea sake drink.

The ambiance was OK. It's not a huge place but they do have it set up nicely such that you cannot easily see the diners to either side of you (seated, Japanese style) so there is a semblance of privacy.

Overall we were satisfied; satiated but not stuffed.

There are a lot of Japanese and restaurants in this area. Teriyaki Dragon is a solid choice, I'd say.

Favorite Dish: I didn't notice any difference between to the premium U.S. beefs that we ordered and the "regular" beefs of the same type. Would just go with the regular cuts next time.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Oody's Makati: Very good Thai.

by planxty Updated Jan 1, 2013

During the big Phillipine VT meet in January 2012, a group of five of us decided to meet up for lunch one day, Hansi, Lori, Valerie, Claus and myself. We had been recommended to try Oody's Thai restaurant within the simply huge Greenbelt shopping centre and a very good choice it turned out to be.

One of the party had been delayed in the simply awful Manila traffic but the staff did not try to rush us at all and kept us supplied with iced water. This gave me time to have a look round the place, which was spotless and furnished in a modern fashion as you can see. When we were all assembled it was time to peruse the English and pictorial menu which consisted of noodle, rice and soup dishes predominantly.

When I am in hot climates, I cannot really eat much during the heat of the day, so I opted for the Sukothai which appeared shortly thereafter. Service throughout was friendly and efficient and the meal was delicious. The others all seemed equally satisfied with their choices. I accompanied my meal with an unlimited lemongrass juice at 75 pesos which I thought was very good value.

The other diners appeared to be business people although it was not overly busy on a weekday lunchtime. It really deserves to do more business, perhaps it gets better trade in the evening. Credit cards are accepted and they deliver. Although the restaurant itself does not have wifi you can get a signal from the shoping centres system.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: The Sukothai as described.

• Beer Tasting

FOODCOURT: MALL OF ASIA

by davidjo Written Sep 8, 2012

In the Mall of Asia there are many restaurants to choose from but if you want a quick bite go upstairs in the main mall and you will find a foodcourt with many dishes on offer from 70 pesos and upwards.

G POINT: EXCELLENT BUFFET

by davidjo Written Sep 8, 2012

We went in to the G POINT feeling very hungry and we were delighted at the Swedish Smorgasbord. Ham, meatballs, salads, 3 curries, corn, soup, were among the 30 dishes on offer at a price of 249 pesos per head. Drinks are a little pricey, water and a beer 110 pesos, But the food was excellent. The bar is run by a Swede and the buffet is available between 11am and 3 pm (except Sundays). There is entertainment at night and seems to be a 20 peso cash bar for local drinks in the afternoon.

BURGER STAND: cheap eats

by davidjo Written Sep 8, 2012

Short of cash?? In Ermita?? Then get 2 burgers for the price of 1 at the burger stand in Adriatico street across from Friendlys Guest House. It will fill you up but don't expect it to be the same as Macdonalds!!!! 60 pesos or thereabouts

THE SLOUCH HAT: good tucker

by davidjo Written Sep 8, 2012

The Slouch Hat is a bar in Del Pilar Street in Ermita that is Australian run serving good food, drinks and showing sports on TV. The door is kept locked but when you show your face by the window you will be admitted immediately. Quiet at lunchtime but busy at night.

KENNY ROGER'S ROASTED: QUALITY FAST FOOD

by davidjo Written Sep 8, 2012

This is a chain of restaurants that you will find all over Manila, usually in the malls. It serves chicken, salads, soups but adds a bit of quality that other fast food joints don't have. try the chicken pita bread sandwich.

FOODCOURT AT ROBINSONS: LOADS TO CHOOSE FROM

by davidjo Written Sep 8, 2012

All kinds of local food is available from 70 pesos upwards at the many stalls on the 3rd floor of Robinsons in Ermita. Very economic if you are in a hurry. Most of the malls in Manila have a foodcourt.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Tsoko Nut Batirol: Delicious chocolate.

by planxty Written Jul 20, 2012

In the six months I had been in the Philippines I had noted their love for coffee and indeed there is some very good home-produced coffee in the Visayas but it was only a couple of days before I reluctantly left that I was introduced to another local habit, the drinking of hot chocolate or tsokolate as it is known there. I had arranged to meet VT members Aida and Isa before I left as they had been so generous on my previous visit to Manila at the pre-meet for the 2012 Philippines VT meet in Boracay. In the event, Isa's sister and charming neice also turned up which was a bonus as I had also met them before. I really could not have asked for better company and thanks again ladies for coming all that way in the Manila traffic!

We had arranged to meet in the absolutely vast SM Mall as it was close to the MRT (mass transit train) station so it was convenient for me to get to. Isa and her party were running a little late and Aida suggested we go to the restaurant pictured which, as well as tea, coffee and some excellent pastries, specialises in hot chocolate. That sounded good to me. Then she slightly flummoxed me by asking me how I wanted it. As far as I knew, you just drank hot chocolate as it is but apparently here they mix all sorts of things in it. When I enquired what the local favourite was I was informed ground peanuts were the thng so that is what I plumped for. I must admit I found the idea a little strange but you have to try these things and it proved to be delicious.

I didn't want to eat, depite the mouth-watering selection on display but I did sample a little of Aida's cheese bread (another local favourite) and it was very tasty. Isa, her sister and niece arrived shortly and we had a wonderful time in the very pleasant surroundings you see in the image.

It appears that the drinking of chocolate was seen as a sign of wealth in centuries past but although Aida insisted on paying, it is not such a luxurious pastime these days as the prices are reasonable.

There is an interesting little cabaret which happens at 1200 and 1700 every day when the staff from a local shop all come out and perform local folk dances in the middle of the mall, it is utterly charming.

If you are wondering about the name of the place, the batirol is the pot and pounder used to grind the cacao beans, although nowadays an electric blender seems to do the job fairly efficiently. You can see one in one of the images. Isa tells me she remembers seeing them in elderly relatives houses until comparatively recently.

I believe this is a chain so if you happen to run across one, you could certainly do worse than drop in and find out how the Spanish aristocracy liked to take their chocolate pleasures some years ago.

Favorite Dish: I only had the hot chocolate with peanuts and it was delicious.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Gpoint Smorsgasbord Restobar: Excellent value buffet.

by planxty Written Jul 18, 2012

Another of those tips I didn't really know where to put. It could have been restaurant, things to do or nightlife but I have decided to put it here as you really should try the excellent food in this establishment. Yes, you did read the title correctly, I have not gone completely mad yet. It is a Scandinavian run Smorsgabord restaurant right in the heart of Ermita in central Manila and a very good one at that.

I stumbled on this place purely by accident. Having suffered (I use the term advisedly as I hate shopping) a trip to the nearby Robinson's shopping mall I was sorely in need of a beer. This was the first place I came upon so in I went. Incidentally, don't be concerned about the armed guard in the photo, that is standard in the Philippines and he was a really friendly guy.

The first thing you notice about Gpoint is the extremely friendly service, presumably taught as part of a corporate image. The place was quiet on a Sunday afternoon and as I walked in the door I was greeted by a chorus of "Hello sir" and "Welcome, sir". As I say, probably part of the corporate plan but very pleasant nonetheless. I went and ordered my beer which was reasonably priced by Manila standards.

I know it was quiet but I was alone and several of the staff made the effort to chat to me with that completely typical Philippino mix of open friendliness and blatant curiosity that Westerners initially find off-putting but which I had come to quite like in my six months in the country. "Where are you from, Sir?", "Are you alone, sir?", "Do you have a wife, Sir?", "Do you have children, Sir?" etc. etc. People who have travelled in the Philippines will know exactly what I mean. If you haven't been to this wonderful country and I suggest you do, honestly there is no malice in this, it is just a natural thing there. The service was spot on even when it got busier later on, which honestly is not always the case in the Philippines.

After a while I was asked very politely if I wouldn't mind moving slightly up the bar as they were going to set up crazy hour. I was a little bemused by this but, never one to stand in the way of a little craziness, I duly moved. What they were actually doing was setting up a small cash bar in front of the main bar at which they sold drink for ludicrously low prices (mostly 20 pesos) and I opted for bottles of the rather good Manila beer at 25 pesos. To give you an idea, it is normally about 50 or 60 pesos for a beer hereabouts. Crazy hour actually lasts for two hours and would be a good option if you are on a tight budget.

As it was Sunday, the buffet was not on but they have a Taco sunday with extremely cheap tacos. I can't remember the exact price and didn't sample them but they looked good and were inexpensive. There was also a full al a carte menu available, predominantly European food, but I didn't eat there that day. I did however notice advertising for the daily (except Sunday) buffet at 249 pesos and decided to return the next day to try it. Instead, I contented myself with a few games of pool with some of the expats there (I won and lost in about equal measure if you are vaguely interested). I should say that this place is very much an expats place. If you are looking for a genuine Philippino dining experience, this is not the place to go.

I returned the next day at lunchtime and was greeted in the same fashion and even by name by a couple of the staff I had spoken to previously. I thought that was very pleasant. Knowing the drill, I sat well away from the corner of the bar, had another couple of games of pool, and waited for the buffet to appear. Normally when you see promo photographs of food, they will exaggerate the product but when the kitchen staff started setting up the buffet, I knew they were not in this case. It was absolutely stunning and many a top class European hotel would be happy to put on such a spread. The image doesn't really do it credit. They cure their own ham, import Scandinavian prawns, you name it and it was there. I duly paid my 249 pesos (about £3:80 or $6US) and got stuck in. Even allowing for economies of scale and the relatively inexpensive food prices in the Philippines, I genuinely do not know how they can do a spread like this at the money.

I suppose by now you have got the impression that I enjoyed it and you would be entirely correct, it was one of the best buffets I have eaten anywhere. The fact that the staff all dress up in some sort of faux naval / aircrew uniforms as you can see was not even tacky, it just seemed a bit quirky and quite fun. I could only manage the one plate although I believe you can return as often as you like. Heaven knows, there was more than enough food for it.

I know I write a lot on VT about trying to eat local stuff when I travel, and there were certainly some local foods on the buffet table, but if you want a very good and inexpensive feed with a European feel, this could well be the place for you.

Favorite Dish: I have only eaten there once but the buffet as described was absolutely outstanding.

• Beer Tasting

The Tinder Box: Smoking Lounge at NAIA Terminal 2 International

by machomikemd Written Jul 16, 2012

this review will be at their branch at the International Wing of NAIA Terminal 2 (separated from the other branch in the domestic departure area only by a transparent glass, there is no access from one to another)

the tinder box is a chain of coffee shops that also doubles as a smoking lounge (the only one permitted) at the Post Immigration Departure areas of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal (at the Terminal 1 and the domestic and international departures at the Terminal 2 where they sit side by side with a glass divider but you cannot acess one without checking in at the departure area of the other). They have separate smoking lounges at the NAIA Terminal 3. The Coffee Shop serves all kinds of coffee ranging from the brewed coffee, expresso, capuchino, mochachino, latte, assorted iced teas and other drinks plus the usual light meals like assorted sandwiches, pastas, spaghetti, other noodles and more.

Opens: 6:00 am to 10:00 pm everyday

Company description:

One of the Philippines' leading distribution and service establishment. We are engage in selling cigars, wine and liquor, we also have 2 full-service outlets which serve espresso coffee concoctions and gourmet sandwiches, deli meets and cheeses in NAIA Terminal 1 & 2.

Favorite Dish: small cup coffee like the iced latte will cost 80 pesos per order. iced tea at 70 pesos per order. sandwiches like the club sandwich or the BLT at 150 pesos per order. Other drinks like orange juice at 120 pesos an order.

The Tinder Box: Smoking Lounge at the NAIA Terminal 2 Domestic

by machomikemd Written Jul 16, 2012

this review will be at their branch at the Domestic Wing of NAIA Terminal 2 (separated from the other branch in the international departure area only by a transparent glass, there is no access from one to another)

Opens: 6:00 am to 10:00 pm everyday

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

The Tinder Box (terminal 1 departure area): Smoking Lounge at the NAIA Terminal 1

by machomikemd Updated Jul 16, 2012

this review will be at their branch at the NAIA Terminal 1, which is located post immigration at the right side, beside the other restaurants in the complex.

Opens: 6:00 am to 10:00 pm everday

Company description:

One of the Philippines' leading ditribution and service establishment. We are engage in selling cigars, wine and liquor, we also have 2 full-service outlets which serve espresso coffee concoctions and gourmet sandwiches, deli meets and cheeses in NAIA Terminal 1 & 2.

• dtonin's Profile Photo

Cyma: A Mediterranean and Philippino mix.

by dtonin Written May 14, 2012

The Manila malling experience can bring you the heighs and lows of culinary experiences. With the range of upscale to budget malls, you can experience anything ranging from streetfood to very fine cuisine. Cyma is somewhere in the middle, but a very reliable, very tasty eatery.

This is primarily a Greek restaurant, and it features mainly dishes that you would expect from Greece. Tzatziki and other dips for appetizers, Souvlaki, Gyros and Lamb chops. It also features a lot of "new age" Greek food and some fusions with Philippino dishes. Overall I haven't had anything off the menu that I dislike, and a few that I come crawling back for more.

I'm most familiar with the Shangri-la Mall location. It is guaranteed to be packed most nights of the week, and you'll see the odd celebrity in there. Best to go a little early if you want to be seated quickly, otherwise expect to wait (a sign of a great restaurant.) Otherwise the service is fast and friendly, and I can't find a bad word to say about them.

Favorite Dish: The Mixed Meat Gyro: Has a lot of flavor to it, very tasty, and very well priced at 200 pesos. If you're hungry you might consider getting two and still be spending less than $10 USD. I would recommend adding the Greek Roasted potatoes for the extra 120 pesos.

Manila Hotels

Latest: Feb 25, 2014
Townhouse Hotel
Latest: Apr 10, 2014

Instant Answers: Manila

Comments

Manila Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Manila locals.
Map of Manila