Manila Tourist Traps

Jaz, our negotiator
    by dovalyn
  • Can't figure out which one.  I'll take them all!
    Can't figure out which one. I'll take...
    by dovalyn
    Sunset at the beach plaza

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Manila

• one of biggest liar asiabill

by dame_akanbo Written May 12, 2007

HOW SPECIAL our place is by maintaining a friendly, family atmosphere. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will return the favor of recommending our place near the Manila airports should someone ask you

that is asiabill homepage and some comment he wrote in homepage .

but this is all lie .he is not interested in management of the hostel.he only
    is interestead in income from guets who believed his words.

u will know this if u check reputation of casa camilla which is run by same owner.

bill say he made hostel for budget traveller.because he had bad experience from his travel during asia and africa when he was budget traveller,

but now he gives other budget traveller worst memory in there travel and gets money to live with his filipina wife.

do not believe all comments of ASia bill.

• BLSM's Profile Photo

Del Pilar Street

by BLSM Written Nov 16, 2002

Dell Pilar Street was pretty much Manilla's Red lite area. They didn't have the brothels but they did have the bars with the bar girls and bar dancers. I hear that they have cracked down but i am sure some of it is still there. The guys learned early not to buy a drink for the girls. $10 for a girls' drink and most of the time it was only soda. It was fun to watch the young sailors on their first liberty.

Unique Suggestions: Watch your belongings.

• lonewolfowl's Profile Photo

taxis,females the street vender,and walking sales

by lonewolfowl Written Aug 16, 2010

manila is bad for rude taxi drivers especially if you are a tourist,make them use the meter or take another taxi,the idea is get going before you realize meter wasnt used and charge 5 or ten times actual fare,meters are required by l.t.f.r.b. the people whom allow them to oerate taxi's get the ltfrb number and tag number if you have problems and report them.females have there own scam,especially if you are the red light district type,they will swear up and down they are 18 go home with you and there friends will call pnp,and unless you pay them off you go to jail for 5-10 to say the least.having lived here for over three years i havent seen someone walking around manila yet that sold real items even the ones stamped u.s.a r fake

Unique Suggestions: before you get in a taxi gotten from the street ask if they can take you there and if they use the meter otherwise you are in for a expensive ride. if you are the red light district type,at least go to a bar or lounge where they have to show id to drink but still this does not make it always either,just remember you came from another country,that meanas alot of dinners for people here for along along time if they can get you nailed ok. dont even deal with the walking saleperson, almost 100% the items are fake and even the medications they try to sell are also fake,go to the nearest drugstore and ask for the generic name for what you need chances are you maybe able to acquire what you need,ok simple beware

Fun Alternatives: dont deal with taxis whom refuse to use the meter,actually you dont have to pay if they dont use the meter, but police will get involved or you may get shot also,dont get in a taxi where they wont use the meter,and dont forget the toll is meter plus 20 pesos for added fuel costs by law.
    dont deal for anything o9n the street other than directions,stay safe

• Manila Hotels accomidations

by sharkness Written Nov 27, 2009

There are thw prices for everything in Manila and all third world countries for that matter. There is the price for the locals and the price for the foreigners. My last stay in Manila was in a four star hotel called Manila by the Bay directly across the street from the American Embassy. I stayed 21 days with my then Fiance and it costs us less than $800.00 US. That's because I had my future Sister In-Law book the room.

Fun Alternatives: Also, be on your best manners! Most Filapino's think all Americans are the dirty over weight old men that come to Manila to have sex with the bar girls (and boys). All they see is the bottom of the barrel as far as Americans go and they judge us all be these freaks that travel their to have sex with under age girls and boys. If you see one of your fellow Americans participating in this behavior turn him into the American embassy! It is illegal to go to another country for the purpose of having sex with underage girls and boys (underage being determined by American Law)

Be Generous! The Dollar Peso exchange rate is about 48 Pesos to one US Dollar. I used to have my pockets filled with Peso coins for the street children that would mob me when I can out of my hotel room. I would drop handfuls on the ground and watch the children scoop up as many as they could with glee before I dropped another handful making sure all got enough to provide for food for themselves and their parents who were always close by. After several days of this the locals were helping me out with everything form doing my laundry to providing me protection from unscrupulous individuals that might of tried to rob and/or hurt me

• P0intman's Profile Photo

Fix Rate Taxis At Manila International Airport

by P0intman Written Apr 12, 2012

Be advised, do not go down to the arrival area unless you have a private transportation waiting for you. There is no metered taxis available down there. There is a fixed rate taxis which charge outrageous rate. I was quoted to pay Php650.00 just to go to Five Star Bus terminal which is only a few miles away.

Unique Suggestions: Good thingI asked around where I can find a metered taxi which only cost me Php150.00. The metered taxis are yellow colored and located routside, parked at the front of the Arrival building.

• Business Travel

• mobileman's Profile Photo

Airport Sting

by mobileman Updated Jun 25, 2011

As a frequent traveller to the Philippines I have had the frequent displeasure of some successful extortion attempts and many unsuccessful attempts. The last one happened when I decided to visit friends for a week and fly from Manila to Bangkok. If there is an uncorrupted or half decent law enforcement officer or other government official who loves their country and wants to help remedy the corruption and many wrongs I will happily provide dates and details so you can track down and remove this scum from your society. (Very wishful thinking)
    How it happened!
    Knowing that you are a target and most at risk when you are in a hurry I arrived at Manila’s international airport third terminal in plenty of time to check in at the Cebu Pacific airlines counter. My lady and I checked in and got our boarding passes.
    My lady was then challenged at the immigration departure counter needing to prove that she was capable of financially existing in Bangkok for five days. (This was our fifth trip together from manila to Bangkok so this was expected and we were prepared). Once we cleared the immigration counters we then proceed to the metal detectors and hand luggage baggage checks. There were two lines one for males and one for females. I help her with bag on to the x-ray machine and then return to my to my line. I was the last on in the line to the x-ray machine. I could see my lady on the other side putting her shoes back on and waiting patiently for me to go through the body and bag search.
    HERE IS THE STING! As I was having my bag and wallet searched the security guard inspector found my asthma medication which was labelled with my name, the dosage required, and the doctors name that had issue the prescription. (Very common medication called Symbicort) The guard said where was the prescription, and replied at the drug store where I purchased the medication. The guard then said you are attempting to smuggle drugs out of the Philippines! I said “what!” The guard then said keep your voice down or I will put you and your lady into a cell until I work this out with you! At this moment my lady got up and started to walk over to she what the problem was. The guard saw here coming and order me to make her sit down away from us or he would put us both in a cell. I complied. At this point the guard was running his fingers through my wallet and said we could fix it. I did not want to argue realising that I was in a no win situation and at risk of missing our plane and replied take what you need to resolve this issue. He then emptied my wallet of all of its cash, equalling around 200 us dollars. He then let me go reminding me that he would be waiting for me on my return flight as he worked this shift with these flights to and from Bangkok so do not say anything! I was lucky as he missed the 2000 thousand dollars that I had in my jacket pocket.

Unique Suggestions: (1) don’t carry all your cash in one place
    (2) make sure you retain copies any and all prescriptions
    (I still think this may not of helped he would of found another reason)
    (3) don't be the last in the line.

• Business Travel

• manila- beware!

by janaris Written Jun 22, 2009

there's a lot of pick pocketer. also the so called 'SALISI GANG'.

Unique Suggestions: have an eye to your belongings all the time. try to avoid the crowded area in manila like QUIAPO, DIVISORIA and BACLARAN.

Fun Alternatives: always place your body bag in front of you.

• mlt_t's Profile Photo

Slum area around Manila

by mlt_t Updated Sep 17, 2004

slum area around Manila

We are an Asian Country. We are not a rich country compared to other Asian countries. I don't know what will my fellow Filipinos going to say about this text or message I'm going to say about my country. I don't want people to expect too much about my country. We have some ugly place you can see or I can say we have lots of slum area in some places here at Manila or in some different places here at Philippines. I don't want my fellow members to expect too much of my country. I don't want to be hypocrite to you since I want to be honest regarding my country. I know that traffic is one of the biggest problems in our country. But our second problem is slum area of the poor people. Our government is doing everything to help poor people to relocate them to some nice places they can stay or they can live. I hope I can do more about this kind of problem. People from provinces go to Manila to achieve some goal. They thought living in Manila is very nice, since they were going to stay in the city (civilized place). They did not know that
    living in the city is the hardest of all.

Unique Suggestions: Just ignore... :-)

• kylian74's Profile Photo

From June to September is...

by kylian74 Written Aug 26, 2002

From June to September is rainy season in Philippines,there might be typhoons and maybe some flooded area in Manila, so, be aware of that months. Personally,the best time to visit the country is December,normally no rain but happened sometimes, then the weather is not too hot just the ideal between 24 to 30 degrees. Well, if you really love the SUN try going there on summer time ranging weather temperature between 28 to 35 or more,real tropic temperature.

• Photo shows a Kalisa,...

by yen_2 Updated Sep 8, 2002

Photo shows a Kalisa, traditional ride;-)

Avoid places which are not very familiar with you, specially those dark streets, you may not want to lose your money because you're being robbed by a street boys...well, a piece of advice avoid that places.

• mlt_t's Profile Photo

Traffic on Roxas Boulevard...

by mlt_t Updated Sep 17, 2004

Roxas Blvd scene at night

Traffic on Roxas Boulevard
    Red streaks from traffic that travel along Roxas Boulevard as dusk sets over Manila.

I have read some other pages about Manila. I think the worse thing about Manila is traffic. I cannot help it but that is the one biggest problem in the city. Thank God, I live now in a place with less traffic. I love Manila; they have plenty of beautiful and different kind places to go (especially if you are a night person) around the city. Forget about the traffic. Me, I'm used to it when I visit Manila. I still go and have fun going to Manila, especially at night. Nighttime is the best hour to explore the city itself, lots of new places you can go and have fun.

• riku2's Profile Photo

Day trips to Pagsanjan...

by riku2 Written Aug 26, 2002

Day trips to Pagsanjan waterfalls and Tagatay volcano are nice but be prepared for some serious hawking of souvenirs, drinks and like lonely planet says 'the high tips agressive boat operators demand'. The best thing is to book a package from your hotel so you don't have to negotiate with them - otherwise you will pay more for the boat across the volcano lake than for a whole day trip package from Manila.

• Manila is an 8 million strong...

by demonsword Written Aug 26, 2002

Manila is an 8 million strong metropolis and can be compared to Bangkok and Jakarta as far as 'tourist traps' are concerned. There are many caveats to observe that the best advice is to find a relative, friend or business associate to provide guidance. Veteran travelers know these pitfalls.

• margaretmcguffin's Profile Photo

Taxis in Manila, Philippines

by margaretmcguffin Written May 6, 2010

When using taxis in the Philippines, is be careful which taxis you take. when our friends did not arrive to pick us up from Manila airport, we hailed a taxi, forgetting which kind were recommended ( and not able to recognise them anyway). Before we jumped in, some kind of police came rushing over, handed us a card and said "ring this number if you have any problems." The parting words of them were, "Good luck Ma'am.) Sure enough the taxi driver tried to con us by firstly requesting the card and then pitching us a hard luck story. Also we got a hotel taxi to take us to a shopping centre, and then picked up a cab to get back. On arrival at the hotel, the asked price was 3 times what we had paid for the hotel taxi. We gave the equivalent of the cost of the hotel taxi, then got out and ran inside.
    Another trap is when the driver of your conveyance, be it taxi or horse and buggy, picks up one of his relatives and tries to stand over the passengers for extra money.

Unique Suggestions: Get up-to-date information on which taxis are recommended by reliable travel sites and learn how to recognise them.

Fun Alternatives: Use a shuttle bus if one is available and will go to your accommodation.

• Seniors

• Beware of some taxis. It's bad...

by lamojicat Written Aug 26, 2002

Beware of some taxis. It's bad enough for the locals but it might be traumatic for unwary foreigners.
    The last time I was home (I live in Australia now but am a Pinoy always ), I learned that the problem with 'good' (honest drivers) and 'bad' (the ones who'll take you the long winding way or set up their passengers for hold-ups by accomplices) taxis got worst...

Instant Answers: Manila

Comments

Manila Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Manila tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Manila sightseeing.