Airport/Security Checks, Manila

Arrival Hall
    by Aidy_p
  • claotic mass - waiting outside the arrival hall
    claotic mass - waiting outside the...
    by Wild_Orchid
  • display of the national flag at the airport
    display of the national flag at the...
    by Wild_Orchid

Know about this?

• fonares's Profile Photo

There are all kind of risks in...

by fonares Written Aug 25, 2002

There are all kind of risks in Manila. From kidnapping, armed robbery, pickpocketing, drugged drinks. My hotel , the most luxurious one in Manila, had metal detector door to go through and everyone entering the hotel was frisked, bags searched. That should give you an idea.

• sirenna's Profile Photo

Weapons and Firearms

by sirenna Updated Aug 1, 2007

Be aware that if you are planning to carry a weapon in Manila, for some strange reason many establishments (and especially the airport) will not let you in! ;)

Instant Answers: Manila

• Aug 25, 2013 at 5:39 AM

Anybody else had a problem at the NAIA security if they had an umbrella with them? Singapore Airlines allow an umbrella as a carry on baggage, however, the NAIA Security confiscated my folded umbrella without an explanation. It is not mentioned anywhere on their website anywhere in the airport that an umbrella cannot be carried as a hand baggage. As it rains anytime in Manila, I developed a habit of always carrying a folded umbrella but the conduct of the NAIA Security is very discouraging.

• leics's Profile Photo
      Aug 26, 2013 at 4:18 AM

You're welcome. :-)

• Aug 14, 2015 at 1:16 AM

I am very disheartened to advise I had my bags padlock and jewelry stolen from my checked in baggage from Tuguegarao to Singapore yesterday.
      At Tuguegarao there were no Xray machine available as it had broken down the day before and all bags were subject to a very lax inspection... anyone could have smuggled a dangerous device in baggage checked in all the way to Singapore.
      I have reported the theft to Cebu Pacific and voiced my complaints with the CAAP and the relevant departments in Singapore as I consider this a serious breach of security. as I also do with the practice of group immigration processing where the individual is not personally sighted/ checked upon entering/ exiting the Philippines. Be aware of a serious potential problem in this country.

• Feb 20, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Attention Manila International Airport Terminal 1 Security OIC, Please pay attention with the behaviours and attitudes of your subordinates. Its high time to conduct customer service and stress management seminars to all of your guards to prevent untoward incidents with our Kababayan and foreign commuters. Some of your guards especially LG L.S. VALDES and SG. F. T. TABAD forgot the main reason why tourist are fond of our country, mainly because of our being friendly and hospitable manners and yet those two guards assigned in your under pressure area shown conduct unbecoming with the airport commuters, both guards kept on shouting on top of their voice to inform commuters who are on the line about the airport regulations. Check it out Mr. OIC Security, is that your way to manifest on how " fun it is to stay in the Philippines." Stress and pressures were what our Kababayan and foreigners alike, felt and experienced during their stay in our airport. Grabe!!!!!!!!! Show some good manners please...... Do something about the two guards attitudes, kahiya sila.... If they are pressured with their job, they better find another one which will not dealt with many people.

• Dec 20, 2012 at 4:48 AM

A box of golf balls was disallowed in my husband's carry on luggage at the Immigration security checkpoint. We were given the option to go back to the airline check-in counter and check it in or else leave it in a bin. To avoid the hassle, after arguing with the "boss" at the checkpoint, we decided to just drop the box in the bin. A few days after arriving in the US, my husband began unpacking and realized he was missing another box of more expensive golf balls in his checked in luggage that was actually locked with a TSA approved lock. We had fun during our stay in the Philippines but this left us with a disgusting impression of NAIA. Our airline used Terminal 3, the newest airport. There was supposedly increased security due to many travelers losing items to Salisi gangs. Our experience obviously show inside jobs as both losses happened at security checkpoints. I call this on duty free shopping.

Other Warnings and Dangers in Manila