Dipolog Travel Guide

Dakak photo by iris
    by iris_e

Dipolog Things to Do

by iris_e Written Nov 3, 2005

Make your own sandcastle! I got a little bored around noon so I made my first ever sandcastle. Bear with the artistry, I'm a first-timer. =)

sandcastle by iris

by iris_e Written Nov 3, 2005

There are three pools around the resort. One is in front of the beach with landscaped miniature waterfalls and another (much bigger) at the back. A kiddie pool is located near the Aqua Sports Center.

The whirpool is just a small jacuzzi-like pool right beside one of the pools. The jacuzzi and sauna is located near the restaurant.

Dakak pool photo by iris dakak pool photo by iris

• Dipolog Hotels

2 Hotels in Dipolog

Dipolog Hotels

Dipolog Restaurants

• by Johnn5272000 Written Dec 28, 2006

This place was great. The staff always was smiling and friendly and helpful. The food was varied many things to fit this americans appetite also many local favorites.the price was very reasonable and i would reccomend this place to anyone. All he cab drivers know where "Grandmas Best" is located and it is basically downtown. So give it a try you wont be disappointed. It is air con and very clean.

Favorite Dish: The shanghai lumpia was tasty as well as the sphagetti but everything I tried there was very good. So just pick something and chow down

by iris_e Written Nov 3, 2005

Fresh seafood, among others (pizza, local dishes, etc) with reasonable prices. I loved the prawns and blue marlin. Yum!

Favorite Dish: Prawn kebab - buttery, fresh prawns on stick with rice (buttered) and vegetables at Php250.
    I forgot what they called the dessert but its fresh fruits with ice cream and citrus syrup in a coconut shell. I wanted to try the flambe but it takes 30 mins to prepare.

dakak photo by iris port orient main restaurant photo by iris

• Don't Forget Insurance

If your current health insurance doesn't cover you while your abroad, you should consider getting international travel insurance just in case something should go wrong.

Dipolog Warnings and Dangers

by iris_e Written Nov 3, 2005

I heard scratching in the ceiling of our bungalow and figured it was mice. I was right. On our first night after returning from dinner, I found my cigarette pack chewed on. The next night, my friend's soap was on the floor already gnawed. A mouse ran past in front of us while we were at Pirates Bar. Of course we're located in a hilly area with lots of trees and grass and there will be mice or rats around... but will there come a time that the bungalows in the resort be infested? I hope not.

by iris_e Written Nov 3, 2005

Here are some experiences I had in Dakak that future visitors might want to consider or at least understand before arriving at the resort:

1) The receptionist doesn't smile a bit, nor is helpful. She's not exactly rude but I was expecting receptionists that are hospitable and approachable. She's neither. When we arrived she didn't even welcome the visitors. It took 10-20 minutes before we were given a room (and there are plenty available! what kind of system do they have?) And she barks orders at the other staff like a drill sergeant infront of the visitors. She's not exactly a breath-taking sight and that kind of attitude just worsens it.

The package inclusions as well as orientation of the resort were not given nor explained to us. However, she seemed to pay more attention to the foreign tourists.

When were about to check out, she didn't give instructions. She pointed her finger at a door (so i went in) I left the keys in front of her. Inside was the cashier (i was still carrying my bags- they didn't tell me where to leave them and I was scared to leave it outside) who asked for the key. I had to go out and get it from the receptionist's desk. It would have been easier if we were instructed. DUH! Plus, nobody assisted/informed us about check-out times and departure from the resort.

2) The waiters at Port Orient need to be fetched (at least that's my experience) for them to serve you. However, if you look like a celebrity or you are a celebrity, a foreign tourist, or at least look rich, you won't have the problem. The waiters seem to watch over only on these individuals and forget there are other people around. Well, there's the exception of Tata who was really nice and another waiter who was also helpful. Tata let me borrow his halloween hat for a picture. =)

3) The place is supposed to be first class, however, there's hardly any first class treatment. They all need training or at least re-orientation in the proper service delivery in the hotel/resort industry.

• Spa and Resort

by iris_e Written Nov 3, 2005

I didn't expect to be treated the way I was because I'm also a Filipino. But then maybe the locals in Dipolog are just really rude. I don't know. Maybe it was just bad luck that I ran into a couple of locals who aren't helpful or at least polite. Here's my experience:

A man in his 30s or 40s is with another man about his age, 2 women also about his age, and 2 kids. They were probably going to meet an arriving friend/family member. I was just about to enter the Tourish Souvenir Shop at Dipolog Airport and this man said in the native dialect something. I said I didn't understand and I'm "Tagalog". So the man explained that the office was closed (it was). He was actually helpful and polite. But then his friend called on me using their dialect and continued on saying something. Of course I looked back because I knew he was talking to me. I said I didn't understand what he said. He continued on speaking using his dialect while the women were laughing. He was probably saying something derogatory. I don't know. Right in front of the kids he was being rude to me. I knew he understood and spoke Tagalog because everyone in the country at least understands the Tagalog dialect. However he kept on saying stuff even as I turned away and the women laughed some more...

Beware of extremely rude locals!!!!

Instant Answers: Dipolog

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:49 PM

do the site seeing :)

• obunchyo's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

9 out of ten people in Dipolog are helpful and extremely polite...I have found that people can get into trouble when different languages are used...you might have misread the situation...but you don't know because you don't speak Cebuano...
    My advise is just try to be polite and keep calm...you catch more flys with honey than with vinegar...

Dipolog Travel Guide