Places to eat in Dumaguete City

inside Sans RIval
    Chocobanana cream cake

Most Viewed Restaurants in Dumaguete City

• planxty's Profile Photo

Kri restaurant: Live and learn, to your benefit.

by planxty Updated May 1, 2013

At time of writing (mid April 2012) I have been hanging around Dumaguete City for about two and a half months and thought I knew the place pretty well. I am always banging on here about taking advice from locals and the advice in this case came from an expat of long-standing if not actually a Filipino. Whilst discussing restaurant options in town, he seemed genuinely surprised when I said I had not eaten in Kri restaurant or indeed even heard of it. Armed with good directions, I set out last night to remedy the deficiency in my gastronomic repertoire and was hugely pleased with the results. I suppose this vindicates my theory about local knowledge even as it blows my belief in finding the best places clean out of the water.

I was greeted immediately and courteously at the door by a young waitress who was later to serve me and thought the place looked a bit empty. It was only later whilst using the facilities that I dscovered there is a much larger dining area to the rear of the premises. I was very happy with the modern, fairly minimalist surroundings where I was.

It was obvious from the off that this was a "classy" joint by local standards. The glass of iced water produced immediately and the frosted glass for the beer whilst perusing the menu reinforced this impression. The crudites (pictured) certainly got the digestive juices flowing. Be aware though that they are fairly liberally laced with chilli, just the way I like it but not perhaps to everyone's taste. I did look at the wine list (I am not really a wine drinker) and it looked quite extensive by local standards, including Spanish bottles at about 1250 pesos.

I had been recommended the blue cheese and truffle (yes, you read that right) burger with what are apparently excellent French fries but my eye was caught by the Genghis Khan beef. I enquired of the waitress what that might be. Pieces of tenderloin served in a slightly spicy sauce. That sounded OK up to a point so I enquired would it be possible to have it served really spicy, along with the usual SE Asian pantomime of telling her that she wasn't going to kill me and no, I wasn't going to sue them if they burnt my mouth off. Really, I know people mean well but it is very difficult to get really spicy food in a restaurant in this area as a Westerner unless you insist and make a point of it.

A wait just long enough to indicate the dish was freshly prepared but not long enough to be a cause for complaint brought the absolute delight you can see pictrured and chef (of whom more later) had produced exactly what I wanted. The beef was tender to a fault and the sauce was obviously ramped up a notch or two as they would probably not have served it this hot normally. Whilst it carried the heat I was lookng for, it did not overpower the other tastes of the sauce (I am guessing soy, honey, chilli here). The plain rice served as part of the dish was ample, although they have various other rices (garlic etc.) should you wish.

A little internet research shws that the chef patron here is a guy called Ritchie Armogenia, and I know his family is responsible for the Azalea resort on the road up to Twin Lakes as well. Chef, I was informed, was in Cebu on business but I would like to meet the guy some day and shake his hand. Whlst going to the spotless, if slightly distant, facilities I had a chance to scan the open kitchen, always a good sign in my book. None of the staff looked over about 22 years of age and if Mr. Armogenia has them this well trained, he gets my vote.

I realise that it is ridiculous to make such comparisons but I would happily have paid three times the paltry 250 or so pesos I paid for this meal. In an ideal and imaginary world, I would love to drop a Michelin Guide inspector here with the windows blacked out so he didn't know where he was. Food, service and ambience would gain it, if not a star, at least some sort of honourable mention. I know this all sounds like hyperbole, it is not. This place really is on the money.

I have mentioned some superb other places like Atong Kamalig, Moon Cafe, Captain Ribbers and so on (see seperate tips) but this place has to take the Blue Riband of Dumaguete City. I genuinely hope this place succeeds, it really deserves to. I shall undoubtedly visit again and I shall report back on my findings.

Everywhere here seems to be on one level, including the toilets, so should be suitable for mobility impaired travellers which is another bonus.

Very highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: Thus far I have only had the Genghis Khan beef, altered to my taste as described and it was superb.

Kri restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Kri restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Food, Kri restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Crudite, Kri restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Mifune restaurant: Excellent Japanese food.

by planxty Updated Feb 9, 2013

I do love to eat food from all corners of the globe but I must confess that my knowledge of Japanese cuisine is effectively limited to a little sushi here and there. I was not therefore terribly well equipped to tackle a Japanese restaurant in the Philippines but I need not have worried. The friendliness of service in the Philippines is excellent if the actual service itself is sometimes a little lacking but I was greeted by possibly the most charming servers I have yet encountered, they were superb.

I should say in the interest of fair reporting that the owner of the premises, somewhat spookily, has just walked into the place where I am writing this although he cannot see what I am writing and I shall attempt to be objective as always.

Unsure of what to order, I decided that tuna would be a safe bet as I love it, and I ordered the tuna teppanyaki. I had a vague idea of what teppanyaki was about and when it arrived I certainly was not disappointed. In the interim period, I busied myself taking a few photos of the spotless and very pleasant interior which was, naturally, Japanese themed. The fans were lovely. The concept of my photgraphing anything and eveything appeared to provoke some amusement amongst the staff but it was very good-natured.

This is, however, a restaurant tip so back to the food. The tuna was simply superb. It was very firm and texturally was more like eating some sort of meat than fish. I am still unclear as to what constitutes teppanyaki sauce but I can state categorically that it was delicious. It is only a shame that I was not more hungry and could have done justice to some more food.

I know that there is a buffet on a Friday and Saturday night between 1800 - 2100 which is well patronised. Local chat has it that if you don't get a table by starting time you are unlikely to get one. If you cannot get a table at the buffet, you have another option. If you have a minimum party of four diners, you can opt for the Teppan Reserve at 399 pesos per person which is basically a large hotplate surrounded by chairs, where chef will cook in front of you a huge selection of food including steak, squid, chicken vegetables etc. etc. as well as some nigiri dishes and a dessert. Looks like good value to me.

I really enjoyed this restaurant and sampled some excellent Japanese food at a price which is a fraction of what I would have paid at home. I must try some more now!

Favorite Dish: The tuna teppanyaki was delicious.

Mifune restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Mifune restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Mifune restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Mifune restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Mifune restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Caldo Pizza.: A very pleasant surprise.

by planxty Updated Apr 4, 2012

I have to say that VT is very much to blame, or more correctly take the credit for, this tip. At tme of writing, I have been staying n Dumaguete for quite a while and whilst I have several favourite restaurants, I do tend to try new places, in the main just to provide me with more VT tips. Sad I know, but there you are.

I had seen this place a few times, hidden away at the back of a filling (gas) station and though it might be worth a try although really wasn't expecting a whole lot from it. This gives the clue to the title of this tip. OK, it is not the most illustrious surroundings I have ever eaten in, situated in a small row of fast food outlets, but I sat down and was attended to promptly by a friendly young man who spoke decent English and presented me with a menu in the same language. I opted for a regular sized Filipiniana at 190 pesos which, the menu assured me, featured Cebu chorizo amongst other things. I am a fan of chorizo here and it looked an ideal choice.

So what to drink then. Normally San Miguel Light is my beer of choice but, as the image shows if you know about such things, the only beer available was San Miguel. I have dealt with this in other tips but essentially San Mig is a 6.9 abv beer that Philippinos drink to get drunk quickly and cheaply and it is pretty lethal but it was the only option. OK, a few sips and wait for the pizza to arrive which took a few minutes but at least it shows it was fresshly made.

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't expecting much. My previous experience of pizza in the Philippines in nearby Valencia at Dexter's had been a singularly uninspiring event but what a difference here. Piping hot with a beautifully crispy crust (just as I lke it), plenty of very tasty toppings, it was really delightful.

The quite loud rock accompaniment from the next door franchise, Red Hot Chilli Peppers as I recall, was a pleasant soundtrack to what was a very good pizza.

Update 5th April 2012.

Another visit last night and the Succulenta pizza (pictured) featuring black olive, anchovy, mushroom, roast garlic, which was not at all overpowering made for an excellent pizza at 200 pesos. I also saw served a party sized pizza which is undoubtedly the largest pizza I have ever seen, it must have been three feet across and looked like a car wheel. I am sure it would have fed 20 people easily whch looked to be about the size of the party ordering it.

Still highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: The Filipiniana as described.

Caldo Pizza, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Caldo Pizza, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Caldo Pizza, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Caldo Pizza, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Caldo Pizza, Dumaguete City, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Garahe: OK for a quick snack.

by planxty Written Mar 29, 2012

I apologise for this tip in advance as I have only eaten a quick snack here and I cannot even tell you if there is a full restaurant service or menu here. Garahe is basically a bolt hole of mine when I want to escape the expat centre of the nearby Boulevard. I have been in here a few times and have never seen another Westerner about the place. I don't know why but it seems slightly "edgy" although I have never had the slightest problem here. It is pretty dark even during the day and I absolutely love it which probably says something fairly uncomplimentary about my lifestyle.

Garahe is basically a locals pool (billiard) hall usually with some pretty loud music playing that just happens to serve what we in the UK would call kebab but I believe is more commonly known internationally as shawarma. It is basically the meat on a rotating vertical skewer which is thinly sliced and served in some sort of flat bread.

As I said, I have never seen anyone eating anything else here and if this is the sole menu item it is very well done and very inexpensive at, I think 40 pesos a piece. A little grated cheese and garlic sauce makes for an extremely tasty beer / bar snack. If you are on a very tight budget, a couple of pieces here would certainly keep you going for a while.

The presence of the drumkit on the riser and certain internet research leads me to believe this place has live music every night except Sunday, and I suspect this is the main function of the place and that the food is something of a side issue.

OK, it is cheap, certainly not a full meal but it fills a hole until you get out and eat later. Not a bad bet for somewhere a little different.

Favorite Dish: I've only ever seen the shawarma served here and it is good, so that will be my favourite then.

Garahe restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Garahe restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Garahe restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Moon cafe: Consistently good food.

by planxty Written Mar 27, 2012

I wrote in a seperate tip about Captain Ribbers ribshack in Dumaguete and how good the ribs were there. I had often ridden past it and wondered why it was not better patronised, as I had enjoyed my meal there. I foujd out why one night when, on the recommendation of a friend I visited Moon Cafe with instructions that I should try the ribs there which he raved about. To cut a long story short, Captain Ribbers simply suffers by comparison as it is about three doors along from the Moon Cafe. Let me tell you about this excellent restaurant.

I had noticed a very pleasant al fresco eating area with a lovely water feature outside although it was busy there. To be honest, it is usually busy here in the early evening. I was admitted by a polite security guard and greeted immediately by a young lady dressed in a sort of Hollywood version of Mexican national costume with a skirt in the Mexican national coulours and that sort of thing. Her name tag named her as Roxy and on a few subsequent visits I have got to know her a little. She speaks perfect English, smiles constantly and is extremely efficient. She is not alone in this as all her compatriots seem to be similarly top class. The service here is certainly amongst the best I have encountered thus far in the Philippines.

I enquired about eating outside and was informed politely that it was not possible just then but that if I cared to take a seat inside and peruse the menu she would transfer me as soon as a table became available. I armed myself with a bottle of San Miguel Light and started through a fairly extensive menu which, as you can imagine was very heavily slanted towards Mexican cuisine with a few other bits and pieces thrown in. This was effectively an exercise in curiosity as I already knew what I was there for and duly ordered the baby back ribs at 199 pesos.

During the ordering process I had a conversation with Roxy that I had had with numerous servers all over Southeast Asia and that I havce recounted in other tips. Basically, chefs in this region are reluctant to serve Westerners with extremely hot food. I appreciate the logic behind this but if you like hot food you often have to make a specific point to get it. I informed the lovely Roxy that chef could get as creative as he liked and sat back to wait. True to her word, Roxy transferred me to a table outside and I spent the short wait people watching in a very pleasant environment with a slight breeze from the nearby ocean cooling things a little.

When the food arrived, I was presented with the rack of ribs you can see in the image, the obligatory rice and a somewhat extraneous portion of diced vegetables which had had the life boiled out of them. That is a minor quibble however. Roxy literally stood over me until I had taken the first mouthful of possibly the most delicious ribs I have ever eaten and enquired as to the sauce. It was pretty warm and may well have satisfied most palates. I, however, have a pretty asbestos mouth and told Roxy that it was very pleasant but not really that hot, at which point she disappeared as I tucked in. I thought she was merely being polite but about two minutes later she reappeared with another dish of sauce which looked identical but was about three notches up on the heat scale. Absolutely ideal. Again she stood over me until I had pronounced it to my satisfaction. I dread to think what might have happened had I said that wasn't hot enough, they may well have had to serve the next offering in a nuclear resistant vessel.

I have eaten here several times since that first time and sampled some excellent Mexican food but the ribs really do remain the standout dish here. I cannot comment on the authenticity of the Mexican food, never having visited that country (again on the to do list) but it all tasted pretty good to me. The corn soup makes a very pleasant starter.

Moon Cafe is not significantly more expensive than other places in the area and considerably cheaper than some. The toilets are spotless and for mobility impaired travellers is that the restaurant is all on one level which would make it easily accessible.

There is some debate about the opening hours. Some internet sites say 1000 - midnight, this is definitely not true. Roxy tld me last orders were at 2200 but I waqs declined service shortly after 2100 although admittedly it was a Sunday night. Check ahead first or go early.

Very highly recommended.

Favorite Dish: The ribs undoubtedly. Arguably the best I have ever eaten.

Moon Cafe, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Moon Cafe, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Moon Cafe, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Moon Cafe, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Moon Cafe, Dumaguete City, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Roadhouse restobar: A taste of the good ol' US of A.

by planxty Updated Mar 27, 2012

Update 23rd March, 2012.

Regular readers will know that I like to keep my tips up to date as they tend to get stale after a while and this is the case here. I can say from personal knowledge that the place, for whatever reason, has become totally deserted of late. I ride past it nearly every day and would stop for a beer but it seems pointless to sit by myself. I know it has taken to closing very early in the evening. I also have it on good authority, although not from personal knowledge, that five of the wonderful members of staff have left since I wrote the original tip. I have also heard that the quality of the food has gone down but again I cannot comment personally as I have not eaten there for a while. As always, I will present the facts and leave it to the reader as to whether or not they want to visit.

Original tip.

As usual in the Philippines, I am finding it hard to categorise the Roadhouse. It could reasonably fit into a things to do, nightlife or restaurant tip but I have decided on the latter as I have eaten here several times with excellent results. Hopefully the images will give you some idea.

Before I deal with the food, let me tell you a little about the place. Road House is unashamedly a bikers bar. I know this may potentially put off the reader but please bear with me. The concept of bikers here is somewhat different than you may be used to in, say, Europe or America. I know a lot of the bikers in Dumaguete from various clubs and they are universally nice blokes. Road House is home to the Roadrunners M.C. but you are equally likely to find Outsiders, Peace Riders, Lone Wolves or anyone else in here. There is no animosity between the clubs. You are not going to encounter a drunken knife fight here or anything of the sort. Most nights the bikers are not even there, they tend to come out at the weekend, during the week it can be quiet enough.

Road House is run by an American biker called Chuck, who is a nice bloke and the staff (seen posing for a laugh in one image here) are delightful and efficient. The chef is a young Philippino guy who doeas a really good job. The menu is unashamedly American with one exception which I will deal with shortly. Burgers of various sizes and toppings, chilli dogs and the excellent chilli cheese and fries which is probably my favourite.

The exception I referred to is the Tuesday night special which is British style fish and chips. Actually, it is fish and French fries because nobody could agree on the proper way of making British chips peoperly so they reverted to the American version. Whatever recipe it is, it is a very tasty meal and very close to the original.

Occasionally, there will be a Philippino daily special but this is not really what the Road House is about. Forget your preconceptions about bikers, get there and enjoy some excellent American style food if that is what you fancy.

Favorite Dish: A difficult choice as the chilli dogs and burgers are excellent but I would have to go for the chilli cheese with fries. Ask for the jalapenos, they are not standard and add a little of one of the various hot sauces on offer for an extra kick.

Road House restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Road House restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Road House restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Road House restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Road House restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Mandarin Tea Garden: Cheap, cheerful Chinese.

by planxty Updated Mar 24, 2012

In my quest to try as many restaurants as possible in Dumaguete (quite a task) I popped into the Mandarin Tea Garden on evening for a bite. This is part of a chain specialising in Dim Sum and other Chinese dishes.which originated in Mindanao and has now expanded to Negros. There are two outlets in Dumaguete now, one here and one in the al fresco eating area of the Robinson's Mall.

My first impressionh of the place was that it was spotless, a sort of fast food place as you can see. Order at the counter and the meal is brought to you.

I was greeted in perfect English by not one but two well turned out young staff. There is a good selection of dim sum, noodles, rice toppings and desserts. I chose the sweet and sour spare ribs, served off the bone, from the short order menu as I am a complete sucker for it, I love the stuff. It arived promptly, served with a smile and was piping hot. It was slightly sweet for my palate but I have come to appreciate that this is to the local taste and it was certainly delicious. At 150 pesos it was a good value meal and I have no hesitation in recommending this place.

Favorite Dish: Sweet and sour spareribs with rice.

Mandarin Tea Garden, Dumaguete, Philippines. Mandarin Tea Garden, Dumaguete, Philippines. Mandarin Tea Garden, Dumaguete, Philippines. Mandarin Tea Garden, Dumaguete, Philippines. Mandarin Tea Garden, Dumaguete, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Canto Fresco restaurant: Merely adequate.

by planxty Written Mar 8, 2012

I think the title of this tip says it all really. Having been in Dumaguete City for some time, I tried to sample as many restaurants as I could, not least to write VT tips about them. What has my life become?

Canto Fresco suffers by comparison. In a city, indeed a street with so many excellent restaurants (see seperate tips on Jo's Inato, Captain Ribbers, Moon Cafe), it is perfectly adequate but far from exceptional. It seems to be an offshoot of anther place in Tacloban City judging by the internet.

The restaurant is situated upstairs in a semi-open setting and was fairly empty when I visited. The four diners pictured were the only other diners in the early evening which is the prime dining time. It is clean and peasant and the waiter greeted me promptly and in a friendly manner. I perused the menu and unfortunately my first choice of dish was not available (not a good sign) so I opted for the beef and mushroom pasta with pesto bread. I had looked at the pizzas but again I was confronted with the age old Asian dining problem that I have mentioned in many other tips. Southeast Asians regard dining alone as being strange, eating is a social event and to be shared. The solo traveller should be aware of this. The result is that all the pizzas here were far too much for me to eat myself.

The meal arrived after a while, a little longer than I would have expected in a nearly empty establishment, and it was very good althought a little on the small side for a main. Again I think it might have been meant as a shared starter and would have been excellent for two as such. At 115 pesos it was not expensive by local standards although I can eat very good food for that money elsewhere.

I so not wish to seem ovelry negative about Canto Fresco, there is nothing wrong with it and a group eating would undoubtedly be wel catered for but, shall we say, it is not high on my list of places to revisit in Dumaguete.

Favorite Dish: The beef and mushroom pasta with pesto bread as described.

Canto Fresco restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Canto Fresco restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Canto Fresco restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Canto Fresco restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Canto Fresco restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Hayahay: Very good seafood.

by planxty Written Mar 5, 2012

Hayahay on Piapi beach just outside Dumaguete city ia very much all things to all men. It is a bar, although I find it a little lacking in atmosphere, it is arguably 9with Zanzibar) the most popular nightspot at the weekends and it is a very good fish restaurant.

I had been out with my Filipina friend Buena who is from Negros and knows Dumaguete well where we should eat that evening and she suggested this place. Although I perused the menu, which was fairly extensive and predominantly seafood, I went with my usual practice and asked Buena for her local knowledge. She ordered silligaw and some battered prawns. Silligaw is a fish soup flavoured with tamarind I believe, which gives it a sour taste and I love it. This was a good example of the dish. Buena said that the prawns were not done as she was expecting but were very tasty nonetheless.

The service was efficient and friendly and as we waited for the meal to arrive, we amused ourselves taking photos of the oil candles on the table, as you can see in one of the images. I am willing to wager Buena's came out better than mine!

Photography over, the meal arrived and it was very good. As we ate there was an impromptu cabaret consising of a man terrifyng some small children with one of the live crabs which form the selling point of the restaurant. They have tanks of live crustaceans and even live oysters.

Do not be confused by the fact that the seafood restaurant and the adjacent Hayahay bar appear to be different premises, they are not. The place seems equally popular with Philippinos and foreigners and is recommended.

Favorite Dish: The siligaw fish soup as described

Hayahay restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Hayahay restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Hayahay restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Hayahay restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Hayahay restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Eat restaurant: Just obey the sign.

by planxty Written Mar 4, 2012

I suppose if you are going to encourage people to eat in a restaurant the name Eat is probably as good as any. This really is the epitome of a no-frills restaurant but it is certainly none the worse for that. A smallish but clean interior with a formica table diner type decor and a rather incongruous cartoon frog mural are the setting for a self-service restaurant.

I didn't see anything in the manner of a menu, it is simply a matter of approching the serving area and pointing. If my description of the food lack some technical detail like what it is called, I apologise. My point and smile technique brought forth the items you see in the appended images. There was some sort of stew with the obligatory rice and a pork escalope which the server somewhat bizarrely cut up with scissors rather than a knife and was served with tomato ketchup. The stew may have been an adobo, it certanly had that taste about it but my technical knowledge of adobo is limited. Although I didn't order it, I was given a cup of some type of infusion as well. I have no clue what it was, slightly savoury in taste and my Filipina friends, having seen the photo, are equally in the dark. Still, it was just another culinary experience.

The whole meal, complete with a San Miguel beer came to some ludicrously low price. I can't remember exactly but it was about 100 pesos (1:50 / less than $2US) and it certainly was tasty enough. Perhaps the price is what attracted what I took to be a student crowd and there were plenty of them, it seems to be very poppular.

If you are on a budget this could well be the place for you.

Favorite Dish: The "stew" was pleasant but my favourite would be the breaded pork escalope which was very nice.

Eat restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Food, Eat restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Eat restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Food, Eat restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Eat restaurant, Dumaguete City, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Chin Loong: Good, but the usual problem.

by planxty Updated Mar 3, 2012

I have been in Dumaguete quite a long while at time of writing and have tried a fair proportion of the eating establishments in town, most of which are excellent. One evening I had decided a Chinese meal might be in order and so I visited Chin Loong on the Boulevard. It has a nice position facing the sea on the strip of bars and restaurants that make the social centre of Dumaguete.

The place was pretty quiet the night I visited and service was quick and friendly. A small downside was that the tablecloth could have used a change, the previous diner had obviously been a bit overzealous, shall we say. However, thus is a minor point, everything else was clean and tidy and the toilets were spotless.

I perused the menu and it is this that gives the title for this tip. Philippinos, like people in other Asian countries I have visited, just do not understand the concepts of eating alone, indeed even travelling alone, being unmarried and childless. I always travel solo and generally eat by myself and the difficulty is often that the dishes offered are designed for sharing amongst people and I often find my choices limited as I know there will be far too much for me on one plate. This was the situation here and the only viable option really was the set meal for one which is what I ordered.

The food arrived promptly and was pretty tasty. Crabmeat and sweetcorn soup was followed by sweet and sour pork (a favourite of mine) and a chopsuey, a dish which seems to have migrated from China into Philippino cuisine. The addition of the soy sauce in the image of the soup was my addition, I did it before remembering to take the photo. I wouldn't describe it as stunning but the food was certainly tasty enough and reasonably priced.

Favorite Dish: I have only eaten here once and the set meal for one was perfectly acceptable.

Chin Loong restaruant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Chin Loong restaruant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Chin Loong restaruant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Chin Loong restaruant, Dumaguete, Philippines.

A decent quick snack.

by planxty Written Mar 3, 2012

I was wandering round Robinson's shopping mall one day and felt like a light snack, nothing too substantial as I was eating later on. A quick trawl of the foodcourt on the upper level provided the perfect answer, the Leylam Shawarma stall. This is one of a national franchise and they seem to be very popular. I know several of my Philippino friends love the food here.

The menu is very simple, effectively a choice of beef or chicken shawarma wraps with optional cheese and a variety of sauces. I like fairly spicy food so I asked the server to make it that way and he duly obliged, it was veryv tasty. The staff here were super friendly and the eating area, communal to all the outlets here, was spotless.

I have certainly had better shawarma elsewhere but at 50 pesos it made a pleasing quick snack meal.

Recommended.

Favorite Dish: The beef shawarma wrap as described.

Leylam fast food, Dumaguete City, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Foodnet restaurant: Cheap and cheerful.

by planxty Updated Feb 29, 2012

Foodnet is a large chain in the Philippines offering cheap local food in a no-frills surrounding. Haute cuisine it is not but the food is tasty and remarkably inexpensive even by local standards. It is self-service and although the server I spoke to had limited English it is a simple matter of pointing. If you look at the image, I can tell you that the dish on the left is Lechon Manok (barbecued chicken) with rice, and the two round items were sweet, I believe they are made from tapioca. What the other two items are I have no idea. They merely looked tasty and proved to be as good as they looked.

The place was spotlessly clean although I did not use the toilets there so cannot comment on that and there is a semi-open area should you wish to dine outside.

If you are at the other side of town there is another branch heading for the national Highway near the bus station.

Definitely a good budget option.

Update.

I like to keep my tips up to date so I offer this information. I have since tried the other outlet mentioned above (the one near the bus station) and it is nowhere near as good, the food was at best lukewarm and the squid very tough. I have also discovered a third outlet in the Caltex station a little way out the National Highway towards Sibulan, but have not tried that yet. My advice is to stick to this branch.

Favorite Dish: The barbecued chicken was excellent.

Foodnet restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Foodnet restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines. Foodnet restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Atong Kamalig: A great favourite.

by planxty Written Feb 25, 2012

At time of writing, I have been hanging around in Dumaguete for about a month and have sampled a good proportin of the restaurants here, many of which are excellent. I don't think I have been very disappointed in a meal here yet, I suppose the competition keeps them all up to a good standard. I do, however, want to tell you about one that seems to stand out above the rest, a place called the Atong Kamilag which is a large place convenient to Silliman University and the port and where I eat regularly.

Apart from the excellent food which I shall deal with in a moment, it has several things going for it. Firstly, it has opening hours of 0630 - 0130 whch makes it about the only "proper" restaurant (other than fast food outlets) open after about 2200. Secondly, it has good live music every night which I shall deal with in a nightlife tip. Thirdly, it does a very popular happy "hour", actually from 1400 - 1800 daily when selected food and drinks are heavily discounted.

Kamilag is a big place, comprising an open sided structure and a large outside dining area where the stage is. I am guessing but there must be well over 100 covers there and it regularly gets full, seemingly equally popular with expats and locals. The expats tend to get in there in the afternoon to take advantage of the above-mentioned happy hour and the locals tend to come here to eat at night. If you are not dining here, it also does a roaring take-away business.

So, onto the food itself. There is an extensive menu, predominantly Philippino, but with some Western dishes as well, and the food is all prepared in the open kitchen which I am a great fan of. All the usual suspects are here, pochero (beef soup), chopsuey, silligaw (fish soup), a selection of sizzling dishes (tenserloin, sisig etc.), lechon and so on, you are spoiled for choice. My favourite, however, is to choose from the wonderful barbecue selection in the evening.

At about 1600, one of the numerous, friendly staff will start to prepare the barbecue which fronts the street and at 1700, other staff begin to lay out large trays containing various barbecue skewers, manok (chicken) and assorted fish. You merely meake your selection and they barbecue for you usually served with rice and the local pickled vegetable accompaniment. They are all absolutely gorgeous. If absolutely forced to pick on, it would have to be the chorizo stick which is the ball-shaped one in the photos. As the name suggests, it is a spiced minced meat made into a sort of meatball and it is divine.

Other images included show lechon (barbecued pork belly) and the salad is salted egg, a local delicacy which is prepared with onion and tomato.

Insiders tip - do not sit at the tables next to the barbecue as it can get unbearably smoky there.

Another great thing, common to many Philippino restaurants, is making your own dipping sauce. If you ask (they aren't normally offered to Westerners unless they know you) you get a small dish and a large dish of what I know from Thailand as "mouse dropping" chillies which are tiny and hugely hot. You mix them to taste with a selection from soy sauce, hot chilli sauce, vinegar and oil. If you really want a hot one, my tip is to pierce the chillies with your cutlery, that will really make it sing!

Prices here are very competitive compared to some of the more Western orientated places on the Boulevard, and I really do recommend it. Somewhat unusually for this country, I even took a vegetarian acquaintance here one night and she was delighted with her meal.

There is a ramp from the pavement so the place would be wheelchair accessible as the toilets are all on one level.

Whilst I will speak highly of other establishments in other tips, this place really has to get my vote as the best in town for consistently excellent food in pleasant surroundings.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish, now that is a question as I have never had a bad meal here. If forced into a choice, I would suggest a barbecue selection with rice to definitely include the chorizo barbecue stick.

Kamilag Restobar, Dumaguete City, Philippines. Food, Kamilag Restobar, Dumaguete, Philippines. Food, Kamilag Restobar, Dumaguete, Philippines. Food, Kamilag Restobar, Dumaguete, Philippines. Food, Kamilag Restobar, Dumaguete, Philippines.
    • Disabilities

• planxty's Profile Photo

Captain Ribbers: Better food than poetry!

by planxty Written Feb 16, 2012

The clue is in the name really, Captain Ribbers is what I believe the \Americans call a ribshack and rather a good one at that. Whilst there are ther options like Korean kebabs and chilli fries, I had come for the ribs and ribs was what I ordered from the very friendly young lady who spoke good English. The menu is also in English. I only ordered a smallish portion as some of the larger offerings looked impossible for two people to finish never mind me on my own.

The inside of the restaurant is very clean and tidy and the toilets spotless. On a warm night, however, I decided to dine outside in the open area which affords a people watching view onto the street. The short wait also gave me the opportunity to peruse the slightly quirky poem on the wall which you see in the image and which gives the title of this tip. I think it lacks a little in composition in both senses of the word but it made me smile.

The ribs shortly arrived and they were delicious, falling off the bone and beautifully flavoured. They were served with the obligatory rice and a small portion of a very passable potato salad. Everything washed down with a bottle of San Miguel Light made for a very good, competitively priced meal and I recommend it.

The restaurant is open daily from 1600 - 2300.

Favorite Dish: The ribs as described.

Captain Ribbers restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines Captain Ribbers restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines Captain Ribbers restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines Captain Ribbers restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines Captain Ribbers restaurant, Dumaguete, Philippines

Dumaguete City Hotels

Top Dumaguete City Hotels

Dumaguete Hotels
19 Reviews - 57 Photos

Instant Answers: Dumaguete City

Comments

Dumaguete City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Dumaguete City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dumaguete City sightseeing.
Map of Dumaguete City