Safety Tips in Dumaguete City

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Dumaguete City

• maribeldizon's Profile Photo

Mishap at the airport

by maribeldizon Updated Sep 22, 2010

After a very enjoyable 5d/4n trip in Dumaguete and around Negros Orriental my husband was stopped at the airport. Apparently the x-ray machines saw something in his luggage. It was the shell lamps he bought in Malatapay. The Quarantine personnel informed him that the shells were not allowed to be brought out of Dumaguete. My husband explained to the lady that he had no knowledge of this rule and that the items are actually finsihed products bought from a Malatapay vendor at the marina. These are shell lamps complete with a light bulb and capiz chimes.

What irked my husband was the the lady's attitude and arrogance,who even complained that her celfone load was used up when she had to call her boss and refer the matter to him.

It was a good thing that my husband decided to report the incident to the aiport manager, Ms. Veronica Chuang, who appeased my husband just by listening to his complaint and assuring him that she will attend to the issue at hand.

To the Quarantine Dumaguete - we suggest your post the appropriate warnings at the marina/ wharf and other strategic places so that tourists will be aware of items not to be bought or brought out of Dumaguete. Give leaflets to arriving passengers if necessary. Also please train your personnel how to talk with people, make them aware that they represent the people of Dumaguete. Use personable employees as your front liners like the Tourism personnel at the arrival area.

To the Tourists - Beware of unscrupulous vendors! Do not buy shells ( i dont know which kind because they didnt question the capiz shells)!

• Diving and Snorkeling

• asianbelle's Profile Photo

Park: unsafe at night

by asianbelle Updated Feb 11, 2008

After dinner or about 8PM, my sister and I decided to take a stroll at the park which is across the street from our hotel. Since the park is well lighted and the band show has just finished, we decided to cover the entire length and width of the park.

When we reached the south side, a group of young boys seated on the park's benches looked our way and two boys even followed us after we passed their group. They kept on following us and when we reached the corner, they went on different directions, but we suspect that they intend to "gang up" on us. We walked faster, crossed the street, and joined a group of "senior citizens" who emerged from the church. The boys stopped following us and went back to their group.

When we arrived at our hotel, I recalled the warning tip I read here on VT about the increasing incidence of petty street crimes (e.g. bag/phone snatching, hold-up, etc.) in Dumaguete. And to top it, a friend of my sister who re-visited Dumaguete (she studied at Silliman U) a month after our trip had her bag snatched in broad daylight.

• johnmperry's Profile Photo

Casaroro Falls

by johnmperry Written Feb 2, 2008

Went to visit the falls yesterday. Took a jeepney from Dumaguete City to Valencia. from there the only option was on the back of a motorbike. My driver managed to get our bike to fall over, with me underneath both him and his bike. I really banged my back, probably on the big pebble we'd skidded on.

Got some really strong painkillers at Holy Child Hospital back in Dumaguete City.

• National/State Park

• whitebear's Profile Photo

Robbery

by whitebear Written Jan 6, 2006

Watch out for robberies, take precautions. On Rizal Boulevard are some bars visited by foreigners. Criminals watch them to follow them after the visit and rob them on a more quiet place. Dumaguete is a safe place, it is your own fault if something happens to you by acting in a wrong way.

Dumaguete City Hotels

See nearby hotels
Laguna Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Dumaguete City

Comments

Dumaguete City Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Dumaguete City warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Dumaguete City sightseeing.
Map of Dumaguete City