Jaro Travel Guide

Historical Marker
    by cyndymc

Jaro Things to Do

by cyndymc Updated Mar 11, 2011

Jaro Plaza a.k.a. the Graciano Lopez Jaena Park, is the center of activity in Jaro. Families love to stroll there; friends/lovers meet up there; town festivities are held there.

You have no way of missing Jaro Plaza, especially if you are commuting. Spend some time there to relax under the old, tall trees. You can do some people watching; I enjoyed doing it to learn something about the culture. You can also go to the fruit stalls to check what tropical fruits are in season, then sample some. You can walk around the plaza and have a mini-tour of the District. You will see the Jaro Cathedral and Belfry, the Archbishop’s Palace, the ancestral homes of affluent/prominent Ilonggos and the former Jaro City Hall.

by cyndymc Updated Mar 11, 2011

After the Dinagyang Festival, we went to Jaro District to visit the Jaro Cathedral.

Admired for its Baroque architecture with Gothic elements, Jaro Cathedral is the the seat of the Jaro Archdiocese. It is the chosen home of the miraculous icon of Nuestra Senora de Candelaria. (Please read my separate tip on Our Lady Of Candles.) It was declared a national landmark in 1973 through Presidential Decree 260.

There was mass going on when we arrived so we didn't have a chance to take pictures of the church interior. They say there only male religious images inside, compared to Molo Church's all-female Saints.

Jaro Cathedral The Famous Facade & Twin Towers Historical Marker
    • Photography

by cyndymc Written Mar 11, 2011

Enshrined on the Jaro Cathedral is the miraculous image of Nuestra Senora de Candelaria (Our Lady Of Candles). I have just entered the gate of Jaro Cathedral when I overheard a lady tell her friend that the icon is miraculous, and that it was originally a small statue that grew bigger. It made me think, "How could that be?" but I was embarrassed to come closer to them and listen to the rest of the story so I just asked an Ilonggo friend later.

The story of Our Lady’s miracles dates back to 1587 when a fisherman found the image in the banks of Iloilo River. It was surprisingly very heavy for its size of only about 1 foot high. Many people tried to help, but they still couldn’t lift it. It was only when they agreed to bring the statue to Jaro church, did it become possible for only 1 person to carry it. The statue was set infront of the Church facing the entire town.

Through the years, stories of strange incidents about the image were exchanged by the people. The most popular story is about the disappearance of the image early mornings, with only a mist filling its place in the church. At about the same time, some people claimed to have seen a beautiful long-haired lady with a child in her arms buying oil for lamp; some saw her in the plaza giving her child a bath at the artesian well. Believing that the water touched by Our Lady could have been blessed to have healing powers, people came to bathe in the same well and claimed they have been cured of their ailments. Soon, stories of the miraculous cures spread, and more devotees came.

Today, locals and devotees from other places continue to venerate the miraculous icon of Our Lady Of Candles. You will see the glass-encased icon in the shrine outside the Cathedral, set high on the walls just below its original niche on the facade. If you examine the niche, you will notice that the present icon cannot fit into it anymore. People claim that from its original size of about 1 foot, it has grown to about 6 feet, and appears to be still growing...Believe it or not!

Pope John Paul VI conducted a mass at the Jaro Cathedral during his visit in 1982, and crowned Our Lady of the Candles, declaring it as Patroness of Western Visayas.

Our Ilonggo friend said the best time to go back to Jaro is on the feast day of Our Lady of Candles (held every on February 2) so we could witness the most grandiose religious pageantry in Western Visayas.

Miraculous Image Of Our Lady of Candles Shrine of Of Our Lady of Candles Commemorative Marker Of Pope's Visit

Jaro Restaurants

• by cheapbooks Updated Aug 29, 2006

Taste like the food prepared in Bangkok where I grew up. Just takes me back to the smell and authentic taste I am accustomed to when eating Thai food. One of the best I have tasted out of Thailand.

Favorite Dish: Ask for the noodle dish. Pandan chicken our companion ordered was great.
    My wife's choice of masaman was equally great. I tasted all the food in a week's time. You get the picture?

Go early. There is a rush by 11:30 am. For big parties/group call ahead, even 1 day in advance to alert them you are coming. Make arrangement a day in advance.

• School Holidays

Jaro Transportation

by cyndymc Updated Mar 13, 2011

We went to Jaro District from Iloilo SM City by taking a jeepney bound for Leganes. Fare was only P7/pax. We dropped off at the Plaza and walked towards the Jaro Cathedral.

If you will be coming from the City proper, take the jeepney bound for Jaro CPU or Jaro Liko. Ask the driver to drop you off at the jeepney stop nearest the Plaza or Cathedral.

Instant Answers: Jaro

Comments

Jaro Travel Guide
Map of Jaro