Mambucal Things to Do

look closer--they're bats!

Most Recent Things to Do in Mambucal

Butterfly Garden

by tidzy Written May 4, 2007

We went to the butterfly garden but it was closed, apparently the only way to get in was to go to the entrance and get tickets. Its a huge garden enclosed by a net so that the butterflies won't get out. They even breed them, they take the cocoons and put them in a small cage so that they will be undisturbed. There are a lot of different kinds of butterflies with all kinds of colors and we had fun chasing them just to take pics. If you're lucky enough, one might even land on your arm!

Take the Shortcut

by tidzy Written May 4, 2007

After the hike up the 7 falls, we took the shortcut back. Its a little bit more dangerous if you're not careful. Despite the fact that it didn't rain, the stones and dirt road make a slippery combination. You also might experience a biting itch in your thighs, but that's just because of the heat. It's a more scenic route compared to the one we took going up. Make sure you tip the tour guide!

7 Falls Hike

by tidzy Written May 4, 2007

Near the dipping pool is a bridge and beside it is a little waiting shed where you could get a tour guide to take you on a hike up 7 waterfalls. They only allow swimming on the 6th and 7th falls. The hike is definitely tiring and you SHOULD bring water--the most important thing. The hike up takes a lot out of you but it is most definitely rewarding, the waters and surroundings are cool and you can relax.

@ the first falls

Slide down on a rope

by syllybabe Updated Aug 10, 2003

Doesn't look that high but my niece said it made her knees shake.
    I did it but didn't even get the thrill. Piece of cake! ;-)
    You walk up a path to get to the top and climb up the stairs to where they'll strap you to the rope so you can slide down.
    50pesos will give you two turns at this thrilling experience :-)

I want to be a leaf!

by syllybabe Updated Jul 29, 2003

I first saw him on the pavement so his wings...wait...maybe those aren't wings but part of his body...anyway, they were a stark contrast against the cement walk. When my cam flashed, he crawled to this dewy bed. No escaping me, though...I was relentless. I had to get him from a better angle.
    I wish I knew these critters' names...
    BTW, he looks small here but he's about 5 or 6 inches long...too big to be a grasshopper. Critter experts, please send me a note with this guy's name. Thanks!

My prince?

by syllybabe Updated Jul 20, 2003

Found him in the dark...
    I went back to the boating lagoon hoping to take a night shot of the lamps lined up along the side of the water but maybe because they're energy saving, not all of the lamps were on. Can't even remember how I saw him...maybe it was the glint in his eye that I caught but I saw him...little as he was and I just had to take a shot.
    I did forget one thing...I should've kissed him but I was worried about falling into the water.
    Maybe next time...maybe another frog...err...prince.

Poetry...the inspiration for this pic
    "Of Frogs and Princes"

Come. We'll talk about
    loneliness together,
    make mistakes,
    break illusions,
    and if my kiss brings not a prince
    perhaps you'll share my lilypad
    or welcome me to yours.
    Perhaps you're free for breakfast
    and other beginnings.
    Maybe you're the one
    I'll croak for?

OF FROGS AND PRINCES
    (SECOND THOUGHTS)

If I kiss you
    will you be my prince?
    Or will I turn into a frog
    exiled to the same lilypad?

© 1981 Veronica A. Shoffstall

Croak!

Natural washing machine

by syllybabe Written Jul 20, 2003

I used to think that women washing their laundry in the river was just stuff they showed on tv when they're doing flashbacks of days gone by.
    Not so, apparently, as you can see here. Looks like the practice is alive and well in the mountains.

Beauty before beauty

by syllybabe Written Jul 20, 2003

I have to admit I had other eyes with me helping me find these photogenic critters.
    Now that it's monsoon season, everything is green in the mountains right now and Mambucal is lush as can be.
    Butterflies, caterpillars, dragonflies and so many different bugs and beetles were under leaves and hanging on to grass everywhere.
    Didn't I promise to show you nature's wonders?
    :-)

I'm going to be a butterfly one day!

The REAL reason I went to Mambucal

by syllybabe Written Jul 20, 2003

I was searching for color...for beauty in simple things, as Ivan said to me today. I've been looking for inspiration and for new things to photograph.
    This butterfly obliged me. He kept me entertained for awhile...

Beauty

• syllybabe's Profile Photo

Watch the locals play in the river

by syllybabe Updated Jul 20, 2003

Last time I went up there I sat on the big boulders by the river and watched the local kids shiver as they played in the water.
    I almost wished I were 6 again...and like them, not have a care in the world...

Boating Lagoon

by syllybabe Written Jul 20, 2003

This boating lagoon is fed by the mountain spring and you can choose between a 2-seater or a 4 seater paddleboat, kayaks, or canoes.
    They charged 30pesos/15 mins/person for the paddleboat. Probably the same for the canoes and kayaks.
    Kinda cool because they allowed some kids to play with their remote controlled toy speedboats on the lagoon, too.

boating lagoon
    • Kayaking
    • Rafting

Climb a Wall

by syllybabe Written Jul 20, 2003

For a whopping price of 20pesos (40US cents) you can scale this wall twice.
    Really a lot of fun and both kids and adults can do it. If you can't get a grip, don't worry about falling, the guide will keep you up there as he holds on to the rope that's attached to your harness.

Bat Watching

by tidzy Written May 4, 2007

Yes, bat watching! Look up from the bridge and you can see bats flying around--in the daytime! Unbelievable? Better believe it!

look closer--they're bats!

Another pretty hairy critter

by syllybabe Written Jul 20, 2003

I wonder if orange fur means orange wings. If you enlarge that pic you'll see little drops of water suspended at the tips of her furry covering.

I'll call her Red Hot Mama

Wonders didn't cease...
    I saw this sweetheart quietly going about her business under the leaf of a thick bush.
    I'm not sure if she's laying eggs but it does seem like it, don't you think?

Instant Answers: Mambucal

Comments

Mambucal Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Mambucal things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Mambucal sightseeing.