Bontoc Local Customs

Dentist

Most Recent Local Customs in Bontoc

An overcrowded....transportion

by shavy Written Jan 25, 2015

This a typical transportation in the Philippines, a jeepney. Especially in Ifugao province. Many of this jeepneys are running around and in some place is the only way to go around. It is cheap but uncomfortable to sit.

As what I've noticed, this kind of transfer is always overcrowded. Passenger inside squeezed to each other, you have no space of moving totally not very comfortable. It is okay to take if its a short ride, but some route of this jeepney it takes more than an hour and sometimes 2 hour more.

With this one I saw that the rooftop were full with sacks, otherwise it can be full with people instead. This kind of transport is not really good, but is the only way around. People do not have space inside they will hang on outside which sees uncomfortable ride and full fare as regular passenger

If they have a small space to hang on or to put their feet they are okay. The driver doesn't realize what happen at the back from his jeepney, if he sees passenger on the way, he still stopped unless the passenger said there is no more place to hang on then he realized that his jeepney is overcrowded. For the local people they used to this kind of ride, it is a very dangerous way of riding a jeepney, if taking a risk, think first before doing it

One of local transport in Ifugao Province

• shavy's Profile Photo

Malagkit.... wrap in banana leaves.....sticky rice

by shavy Written Jan 25, 2015

There are so many variety of snacks in Philippines, but malagkit is famous of all and is one of my favourite thing when I'm in the country. In Cebu where I came from we have a different form of malagkit is a long rolled

Malagkit (glutinous rice) has a very high percentage of this sticky starch it absorb liquid water or in the case of many sweet Filipino rice cakes, coconut milk in a different manner resulting in a unique texture of the finished product.

During our stroll I've seen few of the women selling this in the street, I didn't know what it is but I was anxious to know and ask. Malagkit, okay for sure I'll have to try one if it's really because in Cebu we have a different form. Yes indeed is malagkit my favourite one. In the mountain province they rolled in triangle form but inside is the same process and ingredient of elsewhere

Form of malagkit in mountain province

• shavy's Profile Photo

Bontoc has it all when it comes to medical help

by shavy Updated Jan 25, 2015

We have no experience for any medical help during our trip, luckily!. When we wandering around town we discover that Bontoc has much more to offer to their own people than in Sagada and Banaue. Bontoc is also bigger than those two. We have seen a pharmacy in Sagada and Banaue but not seen a doctor.

Bonctoc in is between Sagada and Banaue, probably the locals coming here if they need any medical help. This town is also the biggest place of the three, so I'm not surprised if everything is available here.

Look to the doctor office it is totally different than by us, so as the pharmacy. But for those needed an emergency help for a doctor or dentist there is at least someone can help you. Remember this is a different culture and it will not be the same as one in your own country. Their medicine is pretty good, I went to a pharmacy need some tablet against stomach upset it was very effective. So far, no experience to doctors yet and hopefully not

Doctors office Pharmacy Dentist

No Spitting Momma, habit of some local inhabitants

by shavy Written Jan 24, 2015

While we're in Bontoc it hung over all the signs and I didn't have the idea what it is. But I've seen locals when they smile are having those very dirty reddish teeth I've seen young and old. This is a habit of some people, is like people smoking, once you started is hard to stop and gets addicted to it

They even got a fine spitting everywhere, while we roam around I've seen stain on the road I said to myself from where came those stains, so awful. Then we realize that's why there were signs everywhere "no spitting momma" it is meant for this people who chew the betel nut. They even get penalty if being caught by spitting

When we return from our walk just right next to the terminal, there was a small stall sell candy I took a look I have no intention of buying just out of curiosity. There I've seen the betel nut, at first I didn't know what it is but out of curiosity I ask the seller and he say is a betel nut, and ask what is a betel nut? he said is stuff that some locals chewed. The betel nut is inside a glass jar it looks like a tobacco it has a brown color leaves.

The sign with penalty price Betel Nut

• monina_c's Profile Photo

Lang-Ay Fest: Celebrate the Local Tradition

by monina_c Updated Aug 15, 2007

The Lang-ay Festival celebrated in Bontoc, Mountain Province is sponsored by the local government. As one of the residents explained, the festival is a living tradition to celebrate, share happiness, foster friendship, family ties and brotherhood among the people of the province.

All ten municipalities participate in this festival which is usually celebrated on April 7 of each year. The climax of this almost week-long celebration is the Lang-Ay Street Dancing where all the municipalities send their best residents to present the respective town's traditional dance and showcase their unique characteristic. A lot of colorful costumes, floats and traditional skills are displayed and the province's beauty queens walk down Bontoc main street to the delight of thousands of parade watchers. :)

• Festivals

• monina_c's Profile Photo

Easter Sunday in Bontoc

by monina_c Written Aug 15, 2007

After the service at All Saints' Cathedral, the Episcopalian Church of Bontoc, the parishioners gather at the covered court located at the back of the church to partake of the sandwiches and boiled eggs and drinks laid out by the church. Visitors are welcome to join in this activity.

It is a good way to see the locals in their sunday bests, a mixture of modern and traditional wear! :) Very colorful!

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Bontoc Market

by herzog63 Updated Jun 10, 2003

The Bontoc Market is a good place to pick up some fresh fruits!! The blue tarps are used for protection from the sun and rain! Which we had later that afternoon in Sagada!! (Rain)

Bontoc Market
    • School Holidays

• herzog63's Profile Photo

Bontoc Museum

by herzog63 Updated Jun 10, 2003

We didn't visit the museum but it sounds like they have a nice collection of Artifacts from the area! I have seen mummys in another museum outside of Bagiuo.

Bontoc Museum
    • School Holidays
    • Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Bontoc

Comments

Bontoc Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Bontoc local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bontoc sightseeing.