Fun things to do in Naga City

hot hot day

Most Viewed Things to Do in Naga City

Fluvial procession

by theguardianangel Updated Sep 18, 2013

Fluvial procession is the most awaited event (for me) to end the celebration of the Peñafrancia Festival. The images of the Virgin of Peñafrancia and Divino Rostro are carried in a pagoda to go back in the basilica with a number of devoted men shouting, “Viva La Virgen!”. The Bicolanos have a superstition that if any woman is present in the pagoda, it will sink or a disaster will happen. Dunno if it’s true but let’s respect what they believe. Locals and tourists wait for hours along the river banks to catch a glimpse of the icons.

The river banks start to be filled with people at 1pm and I will never forget the experience I had for seeing such a large mass of devotees! My friends and I went through a large crowd just to wait and see the icons pass along the river.

The moment the colorful boats become visible at 530pm followed by the pagoda that carries the icons. People start to wave their hankies, light their candles and shout “Viva La Virgen!”.

This brought chills to my spine.. It’s just really amazing how people gather together to celebrate their faith! It’s definitely a wonderful experience!

• Festivals

"Amang Hinulid” / Santo Entierro

by theguardianangel Updated Sep 17, 2013

It was Lent at that time so my friend and I, went to pray to “Amang Hinulid”/Santo Entierro (the Sepulcher Christ).

My friend, who’s a local, said that it’s similar to the Black Nazarene which is housed in the Quiapo Church, in Manila. The “Amang Hinulid” icon located in the small town of Calabanga is the oldest in Bicol. The devotion to the “Hinulid” started in the 19th century, during the Spanish times. My friend said that, when he was still young, he and his friends or cousins used to walk the road going to the Calabanga Town every night of Maundy Thursday and it will take them around 3-4hrs to get there; to add to the sacrifice, they will have to fall in a very long line and wait for the next day until they will able to stand in front of the Santo Entierro. It was believed that “Amang Hinulid” grants wishes of the pilgrims.

It was my first time to visit the place and pray to the Santo Entierro; that time was one of the struggling moments of my life. I lost my job since the company I previously worked for, decided to cut down staff and resources. It’s almost 6 months that I’ve been job hunting but there seems no right company that I can see myself, working for dedicatedly and that no one seems to believe in my capabilities.

I came to Bicol to get away from the city of Manila and reorganize my thoughts. I was so down at that time. It’s really frustrating when you’re willing to give the best in you but nobody believes. I have almost given up at that point but instead, I thought of giving up my worries and strengthened my faith that God will take care of it.

I have always believed that God’s timing is perfect, not too early and not too late. I came back to Manila on the afternoon of Good Friday. After 1 week, I received a call from the company I applied online. Everything happened so fast! The following day, I was scheduled for an interview then was hired immediately on that same day! I can’t describe how I felt at that moment. I was just so grateful and relieved!

When I got the job, I immediately called my friend and told him about the good news. He said, “Amang Hinulid” has answered my prayer. I don’t have doubts about that but I believe that as long as we pray sincerely, there's no such thing as impossible. We should just keep in mind- God answers our prayer in 3 ways: Yes, No and Wait. Always keep the faith:)

Aguirangan Island

by theguardianangel Updated Sep 17, 2013

Aguirangan island is a must place to visit! It’s one of the isolated islands in the country. If you want to experience to be in the middle of the Pacific Ocean… well, this island will answer your wish
    It’s good to be here at dawn so you can have a sight of the sunrise which I always admire; also, so you and your friends can have the island solo before other tourists come in.

Reminder: Make sure to bring sunblock, snacks, food for lunch, bottled water, etc. since there’s no store situated here (it’s an islandXD).

How to get there:
    From Naga, you have to get to Sabang Port. You can ride the air-conditioned van in the public terminal, infront of the mall, SM Naga. First trip starts at 430-5am. As far as I can remember, maximum travel time is 1.5 hours. Fare costs, 120Php. The van will start its trip once passengers are able to fill in all the seats.

Once you arrive in Sabang Port, locals will be waiting for you to offer help with your things, boat rental, etc. Don’t mind them; just get to the shore where you’ll see a number of fishermen’s boats parked. There will always somebody who will offer you a negotiable boat to rent. We were able to bargain the rent of the boat for 1,200php (good for 2-4 passengers) which was initially 1500php. The local fishermen will wait for you in the island so you can take all the time you want to stay there. My friend and I decided to stay until 1030am only since the sun was already scorching hot by that time.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Beaches

Exprience the Peṅafrancia Festival

by theguardianangel Written Dec 22, 2012

The most celebrated event in Naga City is the 9-day festivities in honor of Our Lady of Penafrancia, the patroness in Bicol. The Penafrancia festival is celebrated every 3rd week of September where thousands of pilgrims and tourists go to Naga City. Our Lady of Penafrancia is a replica of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Salamanca, Spain. The bikolanos call the Virgin Mary as “Ina” (mother) or “mahal na ina” (loving mother).

I heard a lot of miracle stories about “Ina”. They say that when you go and celebrate the festival, whatever you pray and wish will come true and ofcourse you should hold on to that faith.

I was invited many times by my good friend so I can experience the festival in his hometown but only this year of 2012 I became available to join them. At first, I came here just to watch and experience how this was celebrated but when we were in the event, I felt different… I really can’t describe how I felt at that moment when a lot of devotees gather in the streets and shout “Viva la Virgen” as the pagoda of the image of the virgin passes by. There are people crying and shouting their devotion to heavens while they wave their white hankies in the air. It’s totally a different experience when you find yourself in live action.

• Festivals

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Sample the nightlife at Magsaysay Ave.

by Ramonq Written Feb 22, 2012

Along Magsaysay Ave., there lies the trendy nightlife district of Naga City. Dozens of cool restaurants and bars vie for attention from well-heeled locals and tourists alike It's quite cosmopolitan with sophisticated eateries and other nightlife diversions. A few of the places were former homes that were transformed into a dining establishment.

• WakeBoarding

by kyroes Written Sep 10, 2011

For a reasonable price, you'll experience and will learn how to ride a wakeboard :) 500 pesos deposit + 175 pesos 1 hour cable park that includes usage of the pool, 40 pesos vest and helmet rental. 215 pesos will not hurt your pocket, right?

• Water Sports
    • Theme Park Trips
    • Adventure Travel

• nixca316's Profile Photo

Avenue Square

by nixca316 Updated Apr 4, 2011

How do I describe this place?

It is a beautiful strip filled with restaurants, other types of dining places, music bars/lounges, a beauty salon and so much more.

It is pleasing to the eyes and the hippest thing in town.

It's not as posh as the strips in Manila and other places, but it's a fun place to go to in Naga City.

"The Other Website"

• Music

Archbishop's Residence

by cyndymc Written Apr 15, 2010

The Archbishop's Residence is just across the street of Naga Metropolitan Cathedral. I didn't go to explore the place anymore because I didn't see anyone, I wasn't sure if it was open to the public, or if you needed to be a member of the Parish, or if you had to know someone from the City to be able to go there.

Visit "Ina" At The Basilica Minore

by cyndymc Updated Apr 15, 2010

Built in 1985, the Basilica Minore was constructed as the new home of the miraculous image of "Ina", the Nuestra Señora de Peñafrancia, Patroness of Bicolandia. The Basilica was intended to accommodate the increasing number of pilgrims from all over the country, as well as devotees from overseas who come for pilgrimage just to visit, pay homage and venerate the Our Lady during the annual September celebration of her Feast Day.

The Basilica Minore is where "Ina" is brought and enthroned after annual fluvial parades in her honor.

When we visited the Basilica, renovations to the tabernacle were ongoing, in preparation for the 2010 celebration which is very special, being the 300th year of devotion to "Ina".

View The Penafrancia Diamond Jubilee Pavilion

by cyndymc Updated Apr 15, 2010

We almost missed the Jubilee Pavilion at the Basilica Minore compound. We were at the grounds taking shots when it suddenly rained hard. We saw the construction workers run to a pavilion so we followed suit. It was a pleasant surprise to see that it wasn't an ordinary pavilion in the middle of the garden; it was the Penafrancia Diamond Jubilee Pavilion. I learned from a marker posted that the construction of the Penafrancia Diamond Jubilee Pavilion was "a collective gift of all Bicolanos of good standing and of the devotees of Our Lady of Penafrancia from all over the world".

What makes the Jubilee Pavilion unique is its beautiful dome with stained glass murals depicting significant historical and religious milestones in the devotion of "Ina".

• Photography

Rest & Photo Shoot @ The Plazas

by cyndymc Written Apr 6, 2010

I've been to 2 plazas in Naga City: the Rizal Plaza and the Quince Martires Plaza. The trees help in making the place airy, the gardens and benches provide ideal resting places for people.

I was told that Plaza Rizal was designed to be a venue for debates, while Plaza Quince Martires was set up as tribute to and in honor of the 15 Bicol martyrs during the Spanish regime.

Visit Historic San Francisco Church

by cyndymc Written Apr 6, 2010

San Francisco Church looks like a modern church in downtown area, but it is rich in history. Only the bell tower of the old church building remains as silent witness to the historic event on September 17, 1898. That day, Filipino rebels led by Felix Plazo and Elias Angeles besieged Governor Vicente Zaidin and the remaining Spaniards in Bicol who were at the church premises for the Peñafrancia fiesta. It is said that though there was a siege, none of the Spanish women and children was harmed by the rebels. As a result of the seige, the Spanish governor signed the papers of capitulation marking the end of Spanish rule in Bicol.

Museo del Seminario Concilliar de Nueva Caceres

by cyndymc Updated Apr 6, 2010

At the Holy Rosary Minor Seminary is a museum showcasing memorabilia of prominent Bicolano bishops, as well as old scholastics records and books originally owned by first Filipino bishop Jorge Barlin who is a native of Baao, Camarines Sur. Archival and archeological materials such as artifacts and ancient burial jars of early Bicolanos are also on display.

Drop By The Holy Rosary Minor Seminary

by cyndymc Updated Apr 6, 2010

The brick and tile structure beside the Naga Metropolitan Cathedral is the Holy Rosary Minor Seminary built in 1785 as a vocation house and center of ecclesiastical education in the Bicol region. Though it had undergone renovations, it has retained its distinct colonial style and ambiance. Thus, the National Historical Institute declared it as a National Historical Landmark on January, 29, 1988.

It is said that many national heroes and patriots including Tomas Arejola, Jose Maria Panganiban and Jorge Barlin had walked the corridors of this vocation house.

Have A Glimpse Of Universidad de Sta. Isabel

by cyndymc Written Apr 5, 2010

Formerly named Colegio de Santa Isabel, this educational insttitution is said to be "the first college for women in the Orient". It is considered one of the top schools in the country being sought not only by Bicolano students, but by residents of other provinces as well..

Naga City Hotels

Top Naga City Hotels

Naga Hotels
6 Reviews - 41 Photos

Instant Answers: Naga City

Comments

Naga City Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Naga City things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Naga City sightseeing.
Map of Naga City