Boating and Sailing, Boracay Island

• Boating and Sailing
    by Ramonq
  • Joey from the red pirates and me with a beer.
    Joey from the red pirates and me with a...
    by cachaseiro
    Red pirates boat trip.
    by cachaseiro
  • LoriPori's Profile Photo

RED PIRATES SAILING TOURS

by LoriPori Written Feb 4, 2012

Our Paraw - The Red Pirate

Sunday, January 15, 2012
    As part of our VT Meet in Boracay, many of us went on the RED PIRATES SAILING TOUR.
    Originally used for fishing or transportation between islands, Paraws, are single hulled Outrigger sailing boats constructed from wood and bamboo and are sturdy little vessels, ideal for the conditions around the Island. On a windy day, they skim along at high speeds (our boat, The Red Pirate, got up to 20 knots). Due to the absence of a deep hull, they have the advantage of being able to moor right on the shoreline - perfect for beach hopping, as we did to Puka Beach.
    These boats are usually manned by two or three crew - Skipper/Captain (Joey) and balancers.
    The day we went, there were five Paraws altogether. We left Station 2 at about 11:00 a.m. We sailed for about 45 minutes - what a high that was - AWESOME! We sailed to Puka Beach, one of the beaches on Boracay, but is more secluded. We got our stuff off the boat and staked our claim on the beach. Some just enjoyed the sun, others went for a walk on the beach and still others had some libation (Red Pirates brought some coolers of beer and juice - Extra cost).
    After about 2 1/2 hours, we again got on to the boats and headed back to Boracay.
    What a wonderful experience.

• namiewa's Profile Photo

Boat sailing

by namiewa Written May 14, 2005

sailing

Boat Sailing is more fun and more adventure, then just a boat with motor working on it. Sailing is the number 1 fun away and adventure for me to trip the whole island though the ride is smooth and you can talk to your friend or lover with out shouting. So explore the Boracay by boat sailing and tell the man who’s driving to drop by the place you want. With the wind whipping your face and water spraying this one’s a cant miss activity!

• Water Sports

• bike_packer's Profile Photo

Sail a Paraw

by bike_packer Updated Jun 13, 2006

Paraw Sailing

Paraw is the native outrigger boat fitted with sails. The open area between the outriggers and the main hull are fitted with net making it as the more comfortable and exciting area to stay while sailing. Much more, this serves as place to put some weight (the passengers) when heeling happens as the wind blows harder - and zooommm you go.

Almost a hundred of paraws (with a crew of 2) are for rent by the White Beach at P500/hour. I consider this activity as generally safe and relaxing. Just be sure to wear the provided lifevest.

Nothing beats the fascination of sailing them into the sunset . The traffic at 5pm onwards is really heavy, I observed, making them very graceful subjects when taking sunset photos.

• mcds1970's Profile Photo

sail into the sunset on a PARAW

by mcds1970 Updated Jun 10, 2004

enjoy the boracay sunset on a paraw (local boat)... some would prefer the sunrise.
    you can choose to take a dip in the cool waters of the ocean or just chill out and enjoy the view with a cool bottle of san miguel beer.

• mhaieleighnne's Profile Photo

Sail with the Red Pirates

by mhaieleighnne Written Aug 5, 2008

Going to Bora is not complete without sailing with the Red Pirates. When we sailed with them (and we did it 2x) Kuya Joey asked us if we want to have bbq (lunch was not included on our 2nd trip, though). You can either buy the stuff for the food that you want them to cook or they can do it for you. We had inihaw na isda, pork chop and chicken bbq plus this awesomeeeee veggie salad (did I mention the salad was GREAT? hehehe)and I think he just asked us to pay around 300 or i think even less (2 pax) and it was way more than worth it. (The price i quoted you may not be as accurate since that was in 2006)
    Our first sail lasted for 6+ hours (we had a difficult time going back because there was a storm coming at that time) and we went to puka beach, ilig-iligan (I totally fell in love with this place) and crocodile island. We really did not notice how fast the 6 hours passed (and how burnt we were... hehehe) since it was a lot of fun. basically it will depend on you on how long you would like to stay in an island.

• winddancer99's Profile Photo

Sailing splendor

by winddancer99 Written Sep 30, 2008

One thing you should try in Boracay is riding the paraw. A paraw is a motorless boat and only uses the wind to sail. The boat has the sail in the middle and you stay on the sides. it will go as the wind takes you. Its an amazing experience.no noisy engine just you the wind and the water. It relaxes your mind and your spirit

• sirenna's Profile Photo

Paraw Sailing with the Red Pirates

by sirenna Updated Dec 7, 2011

sunset sailing

Don't leave Boracay without sailing with these guys! Captain Joey, James, Ryan and the crew know all the best spots around the island such as Puka Beach, Ilig-Iligan, Sunset Cove, Crocodile Island, Diniwid Beach and Baling Hai, and are happy to arrange anything you need - snorkeling equipment, fish feeding, ice box full of cold drinks, beach BBQ, bottle of wine etc. Enjoy a delicious grilled lunch on a deserted beach while you swim, explore caves or just lay back and relax. Sailing a paraw can be an exhilarating ride on a windy day, or a gentle, relaxing cruise in calm weather. Sailboats are environmentally friendly, and it is much nicer without the noise and stench of an engine chugging away.
    This is a perfect if you want to escape the crowds on White Beach and see another side of the island. Trips can also be arranged to neighbouring islands such as Laurel Island (Crystal Cove Resort and caves), Panay and Carabao to go nature hiking and visit waterfalls, caves and springs. Be sure to bring your sunblock, camera and sarong.

• Water Sports

• mhaieleighnne's Profile Photo

Sail with the Pirates

by mhaieleighnne Updated Aug 22, 2007

The Pirates Logo

Our boracay trips will be not complete without sailing with the Red Pirates. On our first trip to boracay, I read somewhere that paraw sailing is a must and a lot of people recommended Kuya Joey, the owner of Red Pirates. Paraw is a boat that does not have a motor; it uses sails so your engine will be the wind.
    Anyway, when we arrived, we looked for Kuya Joey's bar, The Red Pirates and luckily we found Kuya Joey having his early morning coffee. His rate per hour is 500 (as compared to 600/hour rate that is being offered by other paraw boatmen) but you can still haggle, especially if you don't come with a big group and/or if it is off peak.
    We met at 10am the same morning to sail. Our tour/island hopping lasted for 5 or 6 hours (make sure to use sun block!) and we stopped in Puca Beach to swim, and had lunch in Ilig-Iligan, where they grilled chicken, pork and fish served with one of the best vegetable salads I had. While they are preparing our food my friend and I snorkeled around. You really don't have to go far to see fishes. After our sumptuous meal, we sailed again heading to Crocodile Island (don't worry they don't have Crocodiles there, the island is just shaped like a Croc) to snorkel some more. Unfortunately, rain was coming by the time we got there so we had to go home at once. The water going back was a little rough, and although I don't know how to swim, I did not feel any fear. Kuya Joey and his assistant (so sorry I forgot the name) were very skilled and we managed to go back to white beach in one piece.

• rochellevm's Profile Photo

sail boats

by rochellevm Written May 13, 2006

very happy after sailing

Hire a sail boat to take you to other snorkeling spots, to other parts of the island or to simply feel the sea breeze. Sail boats usually run faster than motor boats. It is also a lot more fun. You can hire sail boats for half the day or the whole day. It is also usually much cheaper than the motor boats.

• planxty's Profile Photo

Go sailing.

by planxty Written Jan 31, 2012

Captain Joey, Boracay, Philippines.

As in other tips on this page, I will declare an interest here in the pursuit of objectivity. I know the woman who part owns the bar featured in this tip, and she is a VT member. Her partner, Joey, is the sailing captain featured in this tip but I hope to give an unbiased opinion. I just thought the reader should know.

As part of the wonderful 2012 Boracay Philippines VT meet, the organisers had arranged a boat trip up the coast for us. There are many boats for hire along the length of White Beach, but we had been booked with Joey in the Red Pirate and a couple of his mates in their own rigs.

If you have not ridden in a paraw, as I believe they are called, you have missed out on one of lifes great experiences. The first thing you notice is how thin they seem and how wide the outriggers are. You may wonder where the Hell five or six of you are going to sit but the outriggers are the accomodation. I believe that under competition conditions, people hang out way over the outside of the outrigger to provide balance. Obviously, having both outriggers trimmed in the water is the optimum sailing position.

I sailed out with one of the other boats, a craft called Darki, manned by a very competent and friendly crew. Indeed, these are two words I would use to describe the whole day out. Yes, I can swim pretty well and I have been on some fairly unsstable craft on the sea but I felt entirely safe the whole day. The sailors were obviously competent and well used to the conditions and I was totally relaxed the whole day.

We sailed to s beach a few miles up the coast. I have no idea what it was called but we seemed to have it to ourselves. After a few hours in this tropical paradise, we headed home and this time I was on the Red Pirate. What a craft, this thing was superb and easily outran the other vessels on a fairly small breeze.

I am not really much of a man for sailing and lazing on beaches but this was a simply superb day out.

Should you wish to do it yourself, head to the Red Pirate bar and ask any of the staff there, they will be able to find Joey.

• Photography

• Xdrive's Profile Photo

Sailing

by Xdrive Written Oct 17, 2008

I did not have time to visit the Captain Joey recommended by other members here. I just do some bargain to the local people that sell us the sailing.

We settle the price at 700p for 1 hour sailing. Then they took us to the another spot for snorkeling . I enjoy it very much. The weather is calm, and the sailing is quite smooth. It is so good to escape from the crowd and hear the sound of sailing.

The boat get a small hole in it, you can put your stuff in it to avoid get wet from water. So, you can bring your camera on the boat. Sunblock and snorkeling equipment is a must to carry on the boat.

• Sailng and reall great fun

by denisslee Written Jul 18, 2010

There are many bars/restaurants on Boracay: Exit, Bom Bom, Summer Place, Exit, Hey Judes; on and on. They are all good and fun. Live music, laughter and dance. But if you wish something unique, eclectic and eccentric take a walk to Station 3 and Angol Beach. A quiet part of Boracay. A beach clear of detritus and rocks. A beach to swim and a beach to sit under swaying palms. To drink cool drinks brought to you by a friendly, smiling staff. The Red Pirates bar is here. A bar built from creative imagination and like no other on the island. Furnished and decorated from drift wood brought courtesy of the undulating clear seas. The bar is the creation of Joey, a local lad, and Jen, from England, who has resided here for a decade or more. For help and advice on the pleasures of Boracay these two can always help you out. Their barbecues are legendary. I had my birthday party there of tuna, oysters, chicken and salads. Live music, fire dancing. A perfect way to spend your birthday night.
    However there is more to the Pirate's lair than food and a pleasant drink. Talk to Joey or Jen for a day on the open seas. A barbecue to be had on secluded sands, deserted coves. To the shores of Puka Beach, Calirojan, Ilig-Iligani. Crockadile Beach for snorkling. Lavel Island to explore the caves you can sail. Take your own food and drink and dance beneath a starlit sky, gaze at an ethereal moon after witnessing the treasure of a setting sun. Look for Robinson and his friend on these deserted spots. This is a day like no other. A day to talk about for years to come. The Red Pirates holds many a trick in hand to make your days on Boracay so full of life and sweet fun. Just go, duck your head through the door and see. Just ask Joey or Jen.
    Take me disappearing on your magic scarlet ship,
    Cross the crystal seas we'll trip.
    You're daft if you don't.
    Tell them I sent you.
    Or I met be there.
    Gwapo.

• Diving and Snorkeling
    • Music

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

Take a boat trip with the red pirates.

by cachaseiro Written Mar 29, 2012

Red pirates boat trip.

Taking a boat trip with one of the small classical sailing boats in Boracay is one of the musts when in Boracay.
    One of the best and most established boat companies is the red pirates at station 3 who are genuinely friendly folks who run a little boat business taking people along the Boracay coast and to some of the neighbouring islands if that is what you like.
    these trips are really cool and the boats go very fast for a sailing boat and i thought it was a real thrill taking these boat tours.

• dawsvegas's Profile Photo

sailing

by dawsvegas Written Oct 23, 2010

Go down to station 2 and you can get a sailboat and go around the entire island. it takes a couple of hours and it is beautiful. You can negotiate the price, I forget how much we paid but it was cheap and was a great day.

• paula_p's Profile Photo

Sailing

by paula_p Written Dec 30, 2004

You can't come to White Beach and not take a sailing /snorkelling trip. We took our trip around 4pm on Christmas Day and on the way back, we caught the sunset over the water. It was a beautiful xmas...

Instant Answers: Boracay Island

Comments

View all Boracay Island hotels