Boracay Island Tourist Traps

by sirenna

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Boracay Island

• WORST EXPERIENCE IN BORACAY

by ZhieyniaL Written Jul 7, 2014

Boracay, Philippines WORSE Travel Experience. Boracay Slammed with Lawsuit!
    Broken facial bone, face plated held by 6 titanium screws. 5 YEARS POST SURGERY: scarred face, lost sense of taste and smell, constantly twitching left eye – This is our unforgettable experience in this so called beautiful Island of Boracay, Philippines.
    Is it a fun place to go? YES
    Will BORACAY take responsibility for their lack of safety measures? Our experience, NO! – Travelers safety is none of their business!, your money, that is BORACAY’s business.
    If you trip or accidentally slip and fall on their laid out trap like the picture below. They will tell you – “Too damn bad, that’s not our problem, that’s your problem”
    My family visited Boracay in 2009. One evening, my brother who was standing close to the palm tree while I was paying our bill, tripped on a palm tree root and fell, face on, on the metal bar shown below. A metal bar (protruding through the light post) pierced through his left cheek. We managed to head back to our hotel room and called for medical help.
    The resort staff and the attending doctor was very helpful but due to the lack of amenities to properly diagnose the extent of the damage, we had to fly back to our home town to have his condition thoroughly evaluated.
    Went in for a long surgery to place a face plate held by 6 titanium screws.
    image
    imageimage
    5-YEARS POST SURGERY: Partial loss of sense of smell and taste, scarred face, and constantly twitching left eye.
    2009 – We filed a claim to the governing body of Boracay requesting reimbursement for the cost of the treatment.
    BORACAYS Response: It was not their fault. It was apparently my brothers fault for having fun and consuming alcohol. Alcohol that they allowed resorts/restaurants/stores to serve in the island!
    Yeah, shame on you my dear brother. You should have just stayed in our hotel and do nothing after spending thousands of pesos to get to what’s supposed to be “a fun place to be” vacation spot geezzz…….
    Talk about taking responsibility ey? Blaming a tourist for having fun instead of taking responsibility and admitting their mistake. If, they would have cut those metal bars or even “bent” it, my brother would have just gotten a black eye or contusion.
    2009 – Filed a lawsuit.
    BORACAY’s RESPONSE: Delayed tactic (Constantly rescheduling hearings).
    Their play is to force us to give up, drain our bank for paying our atty fee every time they reschedule - little did they know, their actions gave us more reason to pursue them.
    2014 – Finally, a Settlement …. NOT!!!! { borat movie reference :) }
    BORACAY offered a “slap on the face” settlement. If we don’t take it, they will take the case to higher court and we will lose.
    Ohhh, we got so scared I tell you …… NOT!!!!
    OUR RESPONSE: Let’s take it to the higher court.
    No human decency! We felt stepped on, not respected
    This is not all about the money anymore, we lost that a long time ago. It’s RESPECT! If this would have been offered back in 2009, even though it’s not enough to cover our expenses, we would have taken it, but no, this DISGRACEFUL settlement was offered AFTER 5 YEARS WITH A THREATENING TONE! - We are the government, we can do whatever we want. You are nothing - that’s what we understood from their response.
    We were not treated as human beings by the governing bodies of Boracay during the incident. They played the blaming game pinpointing one department to another on who is responsible for the incident. We investigated and sorted things out ourselves. It is not the resort owner or whoever they want to blame that is at fault but it is the governing bodies of Boracay who is responsible for the safety of their visitors. (Our sincerest thanks to the attending Dr., the resort staff and owner, the island police/guard who helped us through the process and to all those who helped us throughout the process.)
    What if this happened to someone who cannot afford to undergo surgeries to fix the problem? This person would have been walking in the street with distorted face, not able to find a job/ get a better paying job and potentially mocked because of the way he/she will look.
    September 2014 - This is our next hearing date
    CONSULTED OTHER LAWYERS: We were told that we are fighting against the government hence, we will always be in the losing end. Our best option is to take the settlement amount since we will not win against the government. Wow, just wow right?
    SUCH A DISGRACE TO FILIPINOS and HUMAN RACE!
    What would you have done if you were in our situation, would you have done the same, handled it differently or just gave up?

Unique Suggestions: G

Fun Alternatives: E

• heydelin's Profile Photo

Boracay Sand Art

by heydelin Written Mar 28, 2013

When you go to Boracay you will see a lot of sand arts on the beach. And if you to try too take picture of it, there will be children running towards you asking for some money because saying made the sand art. You can give some coins to these children. They are not harmful, just a little annoying if you don't give them anything :)

boracay sand art

• Manu_In_Wonderland's Profile Photo

Beauty outside, Rotten inside.

by Manu_In_Wonderland Written Jan 10, 2013

Boracay was one of my dream vacation destination until I've been there last year. The beach was indeed a beautiful with its sugar-like white sand but very crowded specially on weekends. So many prostitutes specially gays scattered around every corner, tricycle drivers charges you 10 times and ever more higher than a normal tricycle in other provinces, prices for common goods are also higher. Lots of indigenous children along your way begging for some money- but that's not really a problem, it's only sad to think that they were the original settlers of the island and now have seem to be swept away from where they should be. Activities such as diving, and island hopping aren't really worth its cost.

Unique Suggestions: Never walk alone on the beach at night specially if you are male, some gayboys prostitute will come to you and will force you to take their offer or they will hangout with you while you're outside.

Ask for the trike fare first before the ride.

Fun Alternatives: For my suggestion, Go to Puerto Princesa instead, inform yourselves about the nice beaches there though not as beautiful as boracay. Puerto Princesa is the capital city of Palawan, a province which offers you a vast selection of fantastic places to go. One of the best in Palawan is the Sabang Beach, which located very near to it's world famous underground river. second is the Long Beach of San Vicente, it is not as white as boracay's sands but the clear waters, silence, and purity of the place will let you fall in love with it. next is El Nido, El Nido has a lot of activities to offer, and yet has several white beaches and beautiful islands ready to explore, and finally, my favourite, the Coron Island, this small town offers a unique experience which go beyond your expectations, one of the best places to explore there is the Kayangan Lake, Barracuda Lake, Twin Lagoon, Siete Picados coral garden, Malcapuya and Banana Islands. Coron is also a best place for adventure diving, several japanese shipwrecks of the WWII lies beneath it's sea waters.

• School Holidays

• ayeta's Profile Photo

Tricycle tip

by ayeta Written Apr 16, 2012

Some dishonest tricycle drivers might try to trick you into paying more so before getting into the tricycle, ask how much the fare is or ask the locals first. If you're in doubt just wait for another tricycle or get the tricycle driver's serial number and you can complain about it later.

• Whole Island = big let down

by bucheonman Written Apr 25, 2011

I felt the whole island let us down. I had high hopes and heard others raving about wonderful beautiful Boracay. I didn't see that.

The beaches and water are second to none, but the rest of the island is a pit. The pinoys living there live in squallor conditions to make room for tourists. No wonder they hate us.

Pretty much every shop/restaurant/vendor I had dealings with treated me like a walking ATM machine. They thought my wife was Pinoy (she's not) and swore at her in Tagalog when I refused their price gouging.

Trikes here cost 5-10 times more than anywhere else in PI. Some guy wanted 300 peso to take me 5-6 km away. I paid 20 peso for the same trip in Tagbiliran.

I got food poisoning. No one took responsibility for it.

There were bothersome touts everywhere I went. They bothered me when I was eating at a restaurant. I got tired of being polite and starting telling them to F off.

The island is truly an ecological disaster. I give it 5 years before it's more polluted than Fukushima.

We did 4 nights in Bohol and 4 nights in Boracay. We considered making it 8 nights in Boracay. I am glad we didn't. After 4 nights in Boracay, I was ready to leave.

Unique Suggestions: Don't tour the island. Just do the beach and pool. It just hurts to be gouged by everyone every 5 metres you walk in any direction.

Fun Alternatives: Go to White Beach in Mindoro.

• Bat Cave = suck. AVOID

by bucheonman Written Apr 25, 2011

I saw the bat cave on the map and decided to visit it. Big mistake for 2 major reasons.

1. You have to take a mandatory tour guide with you. He guides you some and then at the end, after it is all done, springs a price on you. Something like 350 pesos per person. I forgot how much, but I felt very cheated. I went down the cave but my wife didn't, but he charged us for her anyways. He has some official form from the local gov't that supposedly makes the price gouging legal.

2. The cave itself is very dangerous. I am a decent climber and I nearly slipped a few times. I gave up before I got all the way down. I estimate from the cave and the location, if someone takes a tumble down there, you're done for. No ambulance or EMT crew would be able to get you out of there.

Unique Suggestions: Confirm the price with the tour guide and the trike driver. Ask if there is a feww for waiting.

• asianbelle's Profile Photo

Remember, nothing is free

by asianbelle Updated Dec 15, 2010

A group of children peddling fashion jewelry approached us and offered a bracelet for free. Surprised, we tried to decline the offer and advised them to keep it and sell it to others. However, the children insist that it is a gift and we should take them. After a brief discussion, we decided to take the bracelet (knowing at the back of our minds that there is a catch later). True enough, before we left the island, the same group of children approached us again and insist that we buy items from them, after all they gave us a gift.

Unique Suggestions: Good for them, Christmas is just around the corner so we are a bit more generous. Besides, they have a stuff that caught our fancy and minimally priced, so we decided to buy 2 pieces of bracelet from them.

Fun Alternatives: To avoid falling into this trap, firmly tell the children to keep the item as you are not interested or fond of fashion accessories.

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Deceiving Tricycle Drivers

by cyndymc Updated May 22, 2010

The tricycles cannot bring you to the white beach, so don't bother to ask him to bring you to the actual site of your resort in the beachfront area. He will say yes, but he will drop you off on the Main Road near a pathway leading to the white beach. Depending on where your resort/hotel is located, a pedicab (pedal trike) can take you through the larger paths directly to your resort, or if not accessible, you will be dropped off at the nearest point where you can walk to your destination.

Unique Suggestions: The tricycle drivers usually know the right drop off place for most Boracay resorts/hotels, but just remind/request him to bring you to the nearest point where you can walk to your destination.

Fun Alternatives: If it is your first time to Boracay and you feel insecure walking through the pathway, or you find it difficult to carry your bags, make prior coordination with your resort/hotel to send a staff to meet you at the corner of the main road and the pathway leading to their place.

• shohman's Profile Photo

additional fees

by shohman Written May 13, 2010

When you hire someone to take you diving, snorkeling, etc you may ask if it's all inclusive and they nod. However, you take the boat out and suddenly a man in a canoe rows up and demands 20 pesos each. Or perhaps you grab a mask and dive in, when you get back in the boat the driver asks for another 20 pesos for equipment fees. This type of thing happens alot and the initial reaction is to argue. But when I realized that not only was this an extremely poor country, but that 20 pesos was about 40 cents US, I stopped and just handed the money over. 40 cents is nothing to me, but it can feed this mans family.

Fun Alternatives: just give them the 20 pesos. If it's a signifigant amoutn of money I would have argued more.

• STAY AWAY FROM REGENCY BORACAY

by nikitota Written Sep 28, 2009

Charge for hotel transport (by minibus) is 70 times (yes - seventy times!!) higher then normal local bikes with sidecar.

They try to force you to book full board and then you are stuck with a buffet 3 times a day, which they tell you when you check out and none of your restaurant bills can be deducted.

Unique Suggestions: No way to get out of this trap once you´re in...

Fun Alternatives: There a plenty of nice, much, much more economic hotels around. Try e.g. NigiNigi

• Spa and Resort

• Boracay Island: Destruction-Model of a Paradise

by truthaboutboracay Updated Jun 24, 2009

Bulabog is Boracays main Parasailing-and Windsurfing area. Numerous complaints have been made because of skin-diseases after swimming in the water. Every very early morning the sewerage of the overcrowded and over-constructed, small island is led into the water. The coral reef is also destroyed in the area.
    White beach: Depends if you like prices like in Europe, without the cleanliness!
    The water with Diesel from hundreds of pump-and motorboats.
    The Mall is infested with rats in the Restaurant areas! An "animal lover" who lives in a room above, tells me he catches them nightly in a cage in his room, and drowns them every morning in the waters of white beach..Then donates the meat..
    Can anyone advice us where to go in Asia, without the greedy deception and hassle, horrible pollution from hundreds of tricycles,cars and trucks (there are even rush hours!); the growing steady confrontation with numerous vendors, boat-and joy-ride commissioners, with prostitution, human- and animal-misery, drugs and crime at almost every step,- like Boracay Island?
    I used to love the place!

Unique Suggestions: If you are there already, try to go to the beach early in the morning, before the crowd sets in! This goes especially for weekends and Holidays, it´s a bees hive!
    Don´t leave your drink unattended!-
    Give a tipp to a good singer or band, because they all have kids and often get their salary in drinks only, avoiding to pay them!
    Be friendly, but informed: About girls (usually a "teacher") sitting in a bar, "waiting for a friend" who may not show up.- And some of the most beautiful girls are boys!
    Beware of boys or girls, who instantly fall "in Love" with you, no matter what your looks, age or personality,- unless you don´t mind: It´s all about money!
    Beware of numerous business- or real estate scams on the island: The Philippine Supreme court has ruled recently, that all land on Boracay is Government-Property! Every owner has been informed in writing and public hearings, that Government-auctions are being planned, where the now-owners get the chance to bid and pay for their own land again! That is why you see so many "4 Sale" signs, often to sell what is now legally not theirs, to the uninformed!-
    If you find someone you want to help, give wholeheartedly, without expecting anything back, even gratitude. -
    Forget any hope of getting a return on ANY investment: First it´s all fire and flames, they die down quickly, the rest is disappointment, all money lost and getting shouted at, as though you´re the one to blame! These are USUAL experiences of numerous foreigners, don´t join the club!-
    Beware also of some very charming, white con-artists on the island: Some have been there for years and can´t go back to their countries where they are on the "wanted"lists: Because of them quickly making local "family ties", its too dangerous even for the police to try and touch them!

Fun Alternatives: Travellers tell me, Puerto Princesa (Palawan) is a LOT cleaner and more affordable, and the El Nido area there, is supposed to be like Boracay many years ago?
    My general advice: If you want to enjoy your vacation there, put your rosy shades on, return the beautiful filipino-smiles,
    -accept the bad with the good:
    You will probably never pay again so little for such great Theater- Performances, Drama and Comedy!
    You even get invited to be part of the cast!

Some sign liife-long, costly contracts..

But: You may never hear better, more convincing stories anywhere in the world!

• Singles
    • Water Sports

• iclee's Profile Photo

South Sea Pearls along the strip

by iclee Updated Jan 16, 2009

There are lots of peddlers offering loose pearls or pearl jewelry sets in supposedly yellow or white gold along the White Beach strip. They even show IDs showing they are authorized to sell "genuine" pearls. Most are peddling fresh water pearls in all sizes and shapes. If you ask for the more expensive South Pearl variety, they will fish your request either from a most secure location in their pockets or someone close to him will suddenly run to a more secure house where the south sea pearls are kept. :)

If you show a wee bit of interest, they will hound you and often hordes of peddlers soon follow.

Unique Suggestions: If you really fancy buying one, here are some tips:
    1. Barter big time. I bought a set for PHP500 from the original price of PHP1500
    2. Dont be bothered by the deluge of peddlers. Tell them you will just deal with one.
    3. If possible, a local can help you speak to them.
    4. Last, but most important of all, do not automatically believe what they claim. Example: They claimed to sell south sea but I know stones & pearl enough to understand they were really very good standard fresh water ones.

Fun Alternatives: Their prices were not exactly a lot lower than in Manila. So, if you have someone in Manila who can accompany you to more reliable pearl outlets. Since Caticlan or Kalibo is not an international airport, it is safe to assume that you will pass by Manila for your flight back home or just to return to your hometown.

I bought the very nicely rounded fresh water ones that mimic the shapes of a south sea pearl. Good enough for everyday use. I went to my usual jeweler in Greenhills, San Juan, Metro Manila to have my pearls prepared into 14k white gold stud earrings.

Pearls
    • Luxury Travel

• Yla's Profile Photo

Naivete is dangerous

by Yla Updated Jul 31, 2008

Boracay beckons to all, wherever one is. Many go to Boracay for an adventure. It doesn't exempt your nationality and if you're a Pinoy.

But there lurks some predators in Boracay as well. Some go there to prey on lambs who are too easy to succumb to the charms of Boracay.

Unique Suggestions: Limit partying, and if you wouldn't or couldn't, limit the alcohol intake.

Be with a buddy at ALL times. Someone with good sense is fool-proof.

Do not take drinks from a stranger, or leave your drinks with a stranger (yes, take your drink to the restroom, nothing wrong with that)

Always practice good judgment.

• Adventure Travel

• sirenna's Profile Photo

Power Cuts.

by sirenna Updated Jul 30, 2008

Boracay island experiences regular power cuts (known locally as "brown-outs") - at least one every day recently! They frequently last for several hours. It's fine if your resort has a generator (most expensive resorts do), but many of the smaller or budget places don't have one, and this is something to bear in mind whan you are booking a place. It can be hard to sleep at night without an electric fan. There are also parts of Boracay which are badly lit, so it makes sense to bring a flashlight with you at night.

Unique Suggestions: Keep a flashlight in your bag/pocket!

Fun Alternatives: Check whether your resort has a generator. If not, ask them to provide you with emergency lights/candles in your room in case of a blackout.

Handy!

• sirenna's Profile Photo

Overcharging!

by sirenna Updated Jul 30, 2008

Surprise surprise, these guys take the p*ss. Some tourists I've met have been charged as much as P200 for a P10 fare. During the day, a short ride should be P7 and it usually doubles at night. Fares for longer rides should be displayed on a chart inside the trike.

Unique Suggestions: If you take a tricycle thats parked by the side of the road they consider it a "special" charter trip and charge more, so it's better to flag down one that's already on the road.
    They are not all bad guys though - occasionally you'll meet a driver who goes out of his way to be friendly and helpful, and it's always good to reward this behavior with a tip.

Fun Alternatives: Threaten to report them to the police, Mayor's office or Barangay Captain!

Tricycle
    • Motorcycle

Instant Answers: Boracay Island

Comments

Boracay Island Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Boracay Island tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boracay Island sightseeing.

View all Boracay Island hotels