Boracay Island Tourist Traps

Kiwi Phil's bar
    by sirenna

Best Rated Tourist Traps in Boracay Island

• namiewa's Profile Photo

Weather Sometimes Is Really Crap!

by namiewa Written Aug 19, 2005

Well, i expect to have a nice weather staying in Boracay. But the 3rd day staying there had a typhoon coming. Other tourists cant go back to Manila coz there is not flight and there is no shape to be ride. Stranded for 1 day in Boracay.. So, we should be ready all the time!

Unique Suggestions: Be ready all the time, dont force your self to go ahead even that you know it will be not good, be calm.

Fun Alternatives: If you bring some stuff for games that will be better to wait or reading some books.

• Adventure Travel

• shohman's Profile Photo

additional fees

by shohman Written May 13, 2010

When you hire someone to take you diving, snorkeling, etc you may ask if it's all inclusive and they nod. However, you take the boat out and suddenly a man in a canoe rows up and demands 20 pesos each. Or perhaps you grab a mask and dive in, when you get back in the boat the driver asks for another 20 pesos for equipment fees. This type of thing happens alot and the initial reaction is to argue. But when I realized that not only was this an extremely poor country, but that 20 pesos was about 40 cents US, I stopped and just handed the money over. 40 cents is nothing to me, but it can feed this mans family.

Fun Alternatives: just give them the 20 pesos. If it's a signifigant amoutn of money I would have argued more.

• ljieu's Profile Photo

Tricycle Fares

by ljieu Written Sep 19, 2007

Normal Tricycle fares from the Jetty port to any Boat stations is P7-20. You just have to wait for other passengers. If you wish to leave without other passengers, the driver will charge you a whooping P100 per person!!!

Unique Suggestions: Wait for other passengers or haggle for fare prices...

• Business Travel

• dave&jen's Profile Photo

Puka Shell Beach Vendors

by dave&jen Updated Mar 16, 2005

As soon as you get to Puka Shell Beach, vendors will come swarming at you carrying a basket of necklaces, puka shell necklaces and other stuff... they sell their puka shell necklace for P300...
    Don't buy anything from them...

Unique Suggestions: Puka Shell beach is a nice place for beachcombing... ignore the vendors and you will have a fantastic time walking along the beach and picking up shells or stones that catches your eye...

Fun Alternatives: Buy those souvenirs and puka shell accessories at white beach shops and stalls.. Puka shell necklaces are only half the price in white beach...

Boracay Island, Philippines
    • Women's Travel

• Yla's Profile Photo

Naivete is dangerous

by Yla Updated Jul 31, 2008

Boracay beckons to all, wherever one is. Many go to Boracay for an adventure. It doesn't exempt your nationality and if you're a Pinoy.

But there lurks some predators in Boracay as well. Some go there to prey on lambs who are too easy to succumb to the charms of Boracay.

Unique Suggestions: Limit partying, and if you wouldn't or couldn't, limit the alcohol intake.

Be with a buddy at ALL times. Someone with good sense is fool-proof.

Do not take drinks from a stranger, or leave your drinks with a stranger (yes, take your drink to the restroom, nothing wrong with that)

Always practice good judgment.

• Adventure Travel

• edwinic's Profile Photo

Sir, Ice Drop, Magnolia, Bili na kayo!

by edwinic Written Jul 4, 2008

I was in Puka Beach last May 24 with my family. As we approached the beach, we were met by the welcoming party - the ice cream vendor. As we step down the boat

"Sir, Magnolia sir, drumstick, pinipig!"

"No, thanks"

After 10 minutes, the same guy approached our group and made the same offer which we politely declined. He went away

Then he came back after few minutes selling his ware.

Annoyed, I asked him, "Why do you have to offer again and again when I have rejected you for the fourth time?"

Simply he replied, "Sir, four time you did not like to have ice cream, who knows you may like it on the fifth time I offer?"

That is Filipino enterpreneurship!

• asianbelle's Profile Photo

Remember, nothing is free

by asianbelle Updated Dec 15, 2010

A group of children peddling fashion jewelry approached us and offered a bracelet for free. Surprised, we tried to decline the offer and advised them to keep it and sell it to others. However, the children insist that it is a gift and we should take them. After a brief discussion, we decided to take the bracelet (knowing at the back of our minds that there is a catch later). True enough, before we left the island, the same group of children approached us again and insist that we buy items from them, after all they gave us a gift.

Unique Suggestions: Good for them, Christmas is just around the corner so we are a bit more generous. Besides, they have a stuff that caught our fancy and minimally priced, so we decided to buy 2 pieces of bracelet from them.

Fun Alternatives: To avoid falling into this trap, firmly tell the children to keep the item as you are not interested or fond of fashion accessories.

by ZhieyniaL Written Jul 7, 2014

Boracay, Philippines WORSE Travel Experience. Boracay Slammed with Lawsuit!
    Broken facial bone, face plated held by 6 titanium screws. 5 YEARS POST SURGERY: scarred face, lost sense of taste and smell, constantly twitching left eye – This is our unforgettable experience in this so called beautiful Island of Boracay, Philippines.
    Is it a fun place to go? YES
    Will BORACAY take responsibility for their lack of safety measures? Our experience, NO! – Travelers safety is none of their business!, your money, that is BORACAY’s business.
    If you trip or accidentally slip and fall on their laid out trap like the picture below. They will tell you – “Too damn bad, that’s not our problem, that’s your problem”
    My family visited Boracay in 2009. One evening, my brother who was standing close to the palm tree while I was paying our bill, tripped on a palm tree root and fell, face on, on the metal bar shown below. A metal bar (protruding through the light post) pierced through his left cheek. We managed to head back to our hotel room and called for medical help.
    The resort staff and the attending doctor was very helpful but due to the lack of amenities to properly diagnose the extent of the damage, we had to fly back to our home town to have his condition thoroughly evaluated.
    Went in for a long surgery to place a face plate held by 6 titanium screws.
    5-YEARS POST SURGERY: Partial loss of sense of smell and taste, scarred face, and constantly twitching left eye.
    2009 – We filed a claim to the governing body of Boracay requesting reimbursement for the cost of the treatment.
    BORACAYS Response: It was not their fault. It was apparently my brothers fault for having fun and consuming alcohol. Alcohol that they allowed resorts/restaurants/stores to serve in the island!
    Yeah, shame on you my dear brother. You should have just stayed in our hotel and do nothing after spending thousands of pesos to get to what’s supposed to be “a fun place to be” vacation spot geezzz…….
    Talk about taking responsibility ey? Blaming a tourist for having fun instead of taking responsibility and admitting their mistake. If, they would have cut those metal bars or even “bent” it, my brother would have just gotten a black eye or contusion.
    2009 – Filed a lawsuit.
    BORACAY’s RESPONSE: Delayed tactic (Constantly rescheduling hearings).
    Their play is to force us to give up, drain our bank for paying our atty fee every time they reschedule - little did they know, their actions gave us more reason to pursue them.
    2014 – Finally, a Settlement …. NOT!!!! { borat movie reference :) }
    BORACAY offered a “slap on the face” settlement. If we don’t take it, they will take the case to higher court and we will lose.
    Ohhh, we got so scared I tell you …… NOT!!!!
    OUR RESPONSE: Let’s take it to the higher court.
    No human decency! We felt stepped on, not respected
    This is not all about the money anymore, we lost that a long time ago. It’s RESPECT! If this would have been offered back in 2009, even though it’s not enough to cover our expenses, we would have taken it, but no, this DISGRACEFUL settlement was offered AFTER 5 YEARS WITH A THREATENING TONE! - We are the government, we can do whatever we want. You are nothing - that’s what we understood from their response.
    We were not treated as human beings by the governing bodies of Boracay during the incident. They played the blaming game pinpointing one department to another on who is responsible for the incident. We investigated and sorted things out ourselves. It is not the resort owner or whoever they want to blame that is at fault but it is the governing bodies of Boracay who is responsible for the safety of their visitors. (Our sincerest thanks to the attending Dr., the resort staff and owner, the island police/guard who helped us through the process and to all those who helped us throughout the process.)
    What if this happened to someone who cannot afford to undergo surgeries to fix the problem? This person would have been walking in the street with distorted face, not able to find a job/ get a better paying job and potentially mocked because of the way he/she will look.
    September 2014 - This is our next hearing date
    CONSULTED OTHER LAWYERS: We were told that we are fighting against the government hence, we will always be in the losing end. Our best option is to take the settlement amount since we will not win against the government. Wow, just wow right?
    What would you have done if you were in our situation, would you have done the same, handled it differently or just gave up?

Unique Suggestions: G

Fun Alternatives: E

• mlt_t's Profile Photo

We thought... the place is great but....

by mlt_t Written Sep 8, 2002

We are looking for a nice ride in Bangka ... the bangka ride is fun but when we go to this Island ...we are a little bit un happy seeing those trash around the Island... we feel bad that there are people doesn't know how to care in some island... they just think of their selves...

Unique Suggestions: DON'T THROW TRASH AROUND THE ISLAND... it's frustrating that Island was so beautiful then you can see those trash around the place...

by nikitota Written Sep 28, 2009

Charge for hotel transport (by minibus) is 70 times (yes - seventy times!!) higher then normal local bikes with sidecar.

They try to force you to book full board and then you are stuck with a buffet 3 times a day, which they tell you when you check out and none of your restaurant bills can be deducted.

Unique Suggestions: No way to get out of this trap once you´re in...

Fun Alternatives: There a plenty of nice, much, much more economic hotels around. Try e.g. NigiNigi

• Spa and Resort

• ayeta's Profile Photo

Tricycle tip

by ayeta Written Apr 16, 2012

Some dishonest tricycle drivers might try to trick you into paying more so before getting into the tricycle, ask how much the fare is or ask the locals first. If you're in doubt just wait for another tricycle or get the tricycle driver's serial number and you can complain about it later.

• Whole Island = big let down

by bucheonman Written Apr 25, 2011

I felt the whole island let us down. I had high hopes and heard others raving about wonderful beautiful Boracay. I didn't see that.

The beaches and water are second to none, but the rest of the island is a pit. The pinoys living there live in squallor conditions to make room for tourists. No wonder they hate us.

Pretty much every shop/restaurant/vendor I had dealings with treated me like a walking ATM machine. They thought my wife was Pinoy (she's not) and swore at her in Tagalog when I refused their price gouging.

Trikes here cost 5-10 times more than anywhere else in PI. Some guy wanted 300 peso to take me 5-6 km away. I paid 20 peso for the same trip in Tagbiliran.

I got food poisoning. No one took responsibility for it.

There were bothersome touts everywhere I went. They bothered me when I was eating at a restaurant. I got tired of being polite and starting telling them to F off.

The island is truly an ecological disaster. I give it 5 years before it's more polluted than Fukushima.

We did 4 nights in Bohol and 4 nights in Boracay. We considered making it 8 nights in Boracay. I am glad we didn't. After 4 nights in Boracay, I was ready to leave.

Unique Suggestions: Don't tour the island. Just do the beach and pool. It just hurts to be gouged by everyone every 5 metres you walk in any direction.

Fun Alternatives: Go to White Beach in Mindoro.

• Bat Cave = suck. AVOID

by bucheonman Written Apr 25, 2011

I saw the bat cave on the map and decided to visit it. Big mistake for 2 major reasons.

1. You have to take a mandatory tour guide with you. He guides you some and then at the end, after it is all done, springs a price on you. Something like 350 pesos per person. I forgot how much, but I felt very cheated. I went down the cave but my wife didn't, but he charged us for her anyways. He has some official form from the local gov't that supposedly makes the price gouging legal.

2. The cave itself is very dangerous. I am a decent climber and I nearly slipped a few times. I gave up before I got all the way down. I estimate from the cave and the location, if someone takes a tumble down there, you're done for. No ambulance or EMT crew would be able to get you out of there.

Unique Suggestions: Confirm the price with the tour guide and the trike driver. Ask if there is a feww for waiting.

• kylian74's Profile Photo

Greeny water, it's "Algae"

by kylian74 Written Feb 3, 2003

As you can see from this photo, it is green as you would think that it' s beach self, but NO....Boracay island became more popular and more commercial these days, as it became populated, the water was also affected, The 'Algae' is the result of most ceptic tanks around the beaches coming from the most resort itself flows goes to the beach. Well, it's not that bad, in some areas are mostly clean.

Seashore Boracay

• Manu_In_Wonderland's Profile Photo

Beauty outside, Rotten inside.

by Manu_In_Wonderland Written Jan 10, 2013

Boracay was one of my dream vacation destination until I've been there last year. The beach was indeed a beautiful with its sugar-like white sand but very crowded specially on weekends. So many prostitutes specially gays scattered around every corner, tricycle drivers charges you 10 times and ever more higher than a normal tricycle in other provinces, prices for common goods are also higher. Lots of indigenous children along your way begging for some money- but that's not really a problem, it's only sad to think that they were the original settlers of the island and now have seem to be swept away from where they should be. Activities such as diving, and island hopping aren't really worth its cost.

Unique Suggestions: Never walk alone on the beach at night specially if you are male, some gayboys prostitute will come to you and will force you to take their offer or they will hangout with you while you're outside.

Ask for the trike fare first before the ride.

Fun Alternatives: For my suggestion, Go to Puerto Princesa instead, inform yourselves about the nice beaches there though not as beautiful as boracay. Puerto Princesa is the capital city of Palawan, a province which offers you a vast selection of fantastic places to go. One of the best in Palawan is the Sabang Beach, which located very near to it's world famous underground river. second is the Long Beach of San Vicente, it is not as white as boracay's sands but the clear waters, silence, and purity of the place will let you fall in love with it. next is El Nido, El Nido has a lot of activities to offer, and yet has several white beaches and beautiful islands ready to explore, and finally, my favourite, the Coron Island, this small town offers a unique experience which go beyond your expectations, one of the best places to explore there is the Kayangan Lake, Barracuda Lake, Twin Lagoon, Siete Picados coral garden, Malcapuya and Banana Islands. Coron is also a best place for adventure diving, several japanese shipwrecks of the WWII lies beneath it's sea waters.

• School Holidays

Instant Answers: Boracay Island

Boracay Island Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Boracay Island tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boracay Island sightseeing.

View all Boracay Island hotels