Boracay Island Warnings and Dangers

butt-less beach
    by Ramonq
  • High tide and the steep Grotto of Boracay
    High tide and the steep Grotto of...
    by heydelin
    I Was Still Quite Nervous :(
    by cyndymc

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Boracay Island

• snowcrumbs's Profile Photo

OVERLY ANNOYING P.SAILING/HELMET DIVING MIDDLEMAN

by snowcrumbs Written Apr 26, 2013

There are these people who offer boat rides, parasailing, helmet diving, and whatnot to tourists. They will stand like your middlemen or something. Some of them were really nice to us, but there was this one guy who kept on bothering us. So we said to him that if he could schedule us a 5pm parasailing/helmet diving activity, then we would go.BUT if not, we would talk about the available time. (MEANING NO SETTLED AGREEMENT THAT WE WOULD STILL COME WITH HIM IF NOT GIVEN A 5PM SCHED) The problem was, one of us was able to talk to this other middle person, and we were offered a discount-WHICH IS BETTER!YES?YES! So guy1 came back and was hurrying us because he was able to schedule us a 3:35 activity, and take note, he told us at around 330. That would mean making us run from station 3 to station 2!AND no sir, we won't take your offer. So we told him that we don't like the sched ans said our thank yous to him (but of course it was because we got a better offer). Unfortunately, guy1 heard us talking about it. So he kept on pestering us even though we were already swimming. He told us that we should take his offer because we already agreed.BUT NO, what we have told him was that we would talk about it if we will like the schedule that he would get us.IF NOT THEN WE'LL GO OUR SEPARATE WAYS.YES?YES! So he kept on saying that we should go with him that he had to pay something.I mean, why would he need to pay something?!We didn't do any activities YET?!SO he was getting mad and he even kicked the sand, telling us that we are all Filipinos so why treat him like that?!He was scaring us so we did not dare get off the water.

IN SHORT (sorry for the long rant)
    BEWARE of this kind of middle person. They are good salesmen BUT you have to be assertive. JUST SAY "THANKS BUT NO, MANONG." :)

• Adventure Travel

• heydelin's Profile Photo

High tide and the steep Grotto

by heydelin Written Mar 28, 2013

High tide and the steep Grotto of Boracay

Be careful when you swim in the afternoon (12nn-3pm) because the waves can be so wild. During high tide, the whole beach is soaked in water and can't almost see the sand. Be careful too in climbing the grotto, someone died falling to the rocks.

• No Lifeguards on call!

by Chikaruyuu Written Jul 31, 2012

My friend's 17 yr old sister drowned last July 29 on Boracay.They said there is redflag but not everyone knew that redflag means swimming is prohibited. No proper information dissemination. No lifeguards on call.

They were a total of 5 teenagers,their aunt kept calling for help but no one from the resort came,
    the only help they got were from other tourists, a Korean and Caucasian male struggled to help them.. they were able to save 4 of them but one was lost forever.

The family is very thankful for the tourists,they even kept on coming to the hospital to check on the other victims,on the other hand NO ONE from the resort faced them,NO HELP WAS GIVEN WHATSOEVER!!! The resortl didnt even have the decency to face the family or give help!

There was no news from the media,it was as like it was no big deal to them,like a regular occurance.
    Everyone please travel at your own risk.Travel safe everyone!

• elhombre30's Profile Photo

DISGUSTING EXHIBITIONIST IN BORACAY

by elhombre30 Updated Feb 15, 2012

February 14, 2012

I JUST CAME BACK HOME FROM 5 DAYS HOLIDAY IN BORACAY. BEEN THERE SEVERAL TIMES AND BORACAY BEACH STILL CAPTIVATES ME WITH ITS BEAUTY OF NATURE - THE WHITE POWDERY SAND, THE CALM WATER, THE AMAZING SUNSET AND JUST BY SIMPLY WATCHING SUNLOVERS WALKING BY THE BEACH.

THE BEACH TURNS INTO A PARTY NIGHTLIFE WHERE YOU CAN SEE SEVERAL CLUBS BY THE BEACH PLAYING GOOD PARTY MUSIC SHOWCASING FIRE DANCERS.

THE DARK SIDE OF THIS IS THE DISGUSTING EXHIBITIONIST WHO DOES SEX IN THE BEACH.

AS A FILIPINO CITIZEN WHO PROMOTE MY OWN COUNTRY FOR TOURISM, I DEFINITELY CONDEMN THIS SCANDALOUS ACT.

ME AND 4 OTHER FRIENDS DECIDED TO GO AND WALK BY THE BEACH AT NIGHT AT 3AM WHILE DRINKING HOT COFFEE AND ENJOYING THE FRESH AIR AND SUDDENLY WE HEARD A GIRL SCREAMING... A SCANDALOUS VOICE THEN YOU CAN IMMEDIATELY SEE A SILHOUETTE OF 2 NAKED BODIES HAVING SEX AT THE BACK OF COCONUT TREE. AND TAKE NOTE, THIS IS IN STATION 2!!! INT HE CENTER OF BORACAY BEACH. (FOR THOSE WHO ALREADY WENT TO BORACAY, YOU PROBABLY KNOW HOW OPEN TO PUBLIC STATION 2 IS)

SO RUDE AND ABUSIVE..... AND I SAW A YOUNG BOY, ( I THINK A LOCAL BOY AT VERY YOUNG AGE) WHOSE WATCHING AT THEM CURIOUSLY. SO AS NORMAL REACTION I SHOUTED AT THIS EXHIBITIONIST TO LET THEM KNOW HOW RUDE THEY ARE BUT THEY HEAR NOTHING AND CONTINUE DOING IT.

THEY ARE FOREIGNERS (THIS IS PERHAPS THE BEST WAY TO SAY IT RATHER THAN MENTIONING THEIR RACE) AND FOR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MAYBE FOR DOING IT, THEY STILL HAVE TO RESPECT OTHER TOURIST. I AM WRITING THIS IN FULL CONDEMNATION FOR SUCH ACT.

WE CONTINUED WALKING AND SAW A MOBILE POLICE CAR AND REPORTED WHAT I SAW AND THE MOBILE CAR WENT STRAIGHT AHEAD TO THE LOCATION WHERE I POINTED AND I LEFT!

PLEASE HELP: IF YOU SEE PEOPLE DOING THIS AGAIN IN BORACAY, LETS REPORT AND SO THEY WONT DO IT AGAIN!

• Ramonq's Profile Photo

Warning for Smokers

by Ramonq Written Jan 27, 2012

butt-less beach

It's in the interest of the tourism authorities in Boracay to keep the beach clean and spotless. So they have put signs along the beachfront not to spoil the place. There are tourist police that issue on-the-spot fines for those who throw their rubbish and cigarette butts on the beach. Smoking is strictly prohibited on the beach and the enforcers strictly implement this rule.

• Victor Ortega Salon - Beware!

by CatBurglar Written Sep 24, 2011

If you value your hair, don't go anywhere near this place! They let unsupervised trainees loose on customers hair while groups of onlookers (off-duty staff? Friends? Who knows?) look on, smirking, giggling and generally making you feel uncomfortable. I felt quite early on that something was very wrong, as the effeminate young man gaily snipping away at my hair hadn't even bothered to part it down the middle, or even ask how I wear it! It just kept getting shorter and shorter as he tried to correct his mistakes. When I asked to see a manager I was told none was available. None of the other staff came to his rescue. They basically butchered my hair! Their station 1 branch is most unprofessional excuse for a salon I have ever been to.
    Avoid this place at all costs!

• Beware of food poisoning and bad water

by bucheonman Written Apr 25, 2011

I got food poisoning here either from food or bad water. I am not sure which.

Even if you are served water from a bottle, vegetables or salad could be washed with tap water, possibly making you sick. I have been sick everytime I have been to PI.

Boracay people in general have no respect for tourists. They see tourists as walking ATM machines.

• michelle.jaguimit's Profile Photo

Be on Guard than Be Sorry

by michelle.jaguimit Updated Jul 20, 2010

When we arrived in Boracay Island via boat there is a bunch of people offering "cheap/budget/affordable" hotels plus activities, or let me conclude it as a package deal. Beware, as it will not be good as it sounds. This people will follow you until you have focused your attention to them. Some of them might be helpful but most of the time annoying.

When you get into your room, place your luggages in a corner away from the door. When you leave, make sure you locked the door and keep your laptop or any valuables in a safe place. Although this is a vacation which is a time for relaxation, remember that you also have to be cautious.

My friends and I make sure that one or two among us will be left on the shore to guard our things while some of us are on the water. It is better to be on guard than to be sorry.

• Adventure Travel

• shohman's Profile Photo

constant vendor harrassment

by shohman Written May 13, 2010

As you walk the beach you will be overwhelmed at the amount of vendors offering boat rides, foods, trinkets, etc. They don't let up. In fact we were doing a pre wedding photo shoot and one guy walked right into the frame and wouldn't leave until I got firm with them.
    Be polite but firm when you say non and they will go away most of the time.

• shohman's Profile Photo

the sun

by shohman Written May 13, 2010

Boracay is very close to the equator and the sun burns not only quickly, but can be very hot during the early afternoon hours. You'll notice the beach is busy from just before sunrise (about 5:45 a.m. but after 10 it's pretty vacant. Then around 4 pm it gets busy again.

The sun rises and sets at the same time all year round. Usually rises 5:45 - 6 a.m. and sets around 6 pm

Beware of Overcharging Paraw Skippers

by cyndymc Written Apr 7, 2010

I thought we had a good deal for our paraw sunset sailing, but according to VTer Sirenna (who only knows too well since she's staying in Boracay), "that paraw skipper overcharged you - it should have been around P500 for a one hour trip! Shame on him!"

So now you know the regular rates. Don't be duped like us!

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Don't Be Stubborn! Wear Your Lifevest!

Wear Your Lifevest Even If Others Don't

While on a paraw sunset cruise, we saw how one of the passengers of the Banana boat was thrown out into the sea after the speedboat made a sudden turn. Fortunately, he wore a lifevest. Imagine if he did not! Although the speedboat hurriedly turns back to fetch thrownout passengers, banana boat riders must obey rules and wear the lifevest at all times.

Even on a smooth sailing paraw, you will be provided with a lifevest. And even if you see that your skipper/captain and his assistant/balancer do not wear lifevests, use yours for your own safety.

• Sailing and Boating

Listen, Listen, Listen!

I Was Still Quite Nervous :(

I was so excited with our helmet dive/ reef walk that I listened only halfheartedly to the dive master thorughout the orientattion. When it was my turn to descend to the coral reef, I had ear aches and I forgot the proper way to equalize. Also, I forgot that I shouldn't move my legs, but just let go and let the dive master lead me down smoothly. Fortunately, my dive master-guide was sensitive to my needs and when he saw I still couldn't equalize, he put his hand through my helmet and he himself pinched my nose while instructing me how to breath. How embarassing! The water was cold, but I must have felt colder because everyone else was looking at me instead of the fishes! When I motioned the hand signal for OK everyone smiled, and we all proceeded with feeding the fishes.

Please don't be like me. No matter how excited you are, listen attentively to the orientation.briefing.

• Diving and Snorkeling

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

Ride The Flying Fish At Your Own Risk!

by cyndymc Updated Mar 11, 2010

Our dive master in the helmet dive experience heard my daughter convincing me to join them in the flying fish ride. He cautioned us that the activity might be too "battering" for us because structurally, as the speedboat goes full speed, the inflated flying fish boat will be lifted up, then fall on the waves causing us to bounce on the boat. While it might be thrilling for some, the flying fish ride could be a "battering" experience for some, especially women.

• Sailing and Boating

• edwinic's Profile Photo

The Green Boracay

by edwinic Written Feb 2, 2010

Most of us thought that algaes are natural phenomena. They are. They are in fact an indicator how polluted the water can be.

Algaes appear in Boracay during the peak season, whe polluters are plenty, when rain are rare and sea is calm.

The algae disappear when the conditions is reversed.

Please see the other pictures.

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Boracay Island

Comments

Boracay Island Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Boracay Island warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Boracay Island sightseeing.

View all Boracay Island hotels