Bagac Warnings and Dangers

Low Tide At The Right End of Cove
    by cyndymc
    Can you see the small fishes?
  • Rocks Can be Seen Through The Clear Waters
    Rocks Can be Seen Through The Clear...

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Bagac

Sandflies!!!

by cyndymc Updated Oct 20, 2009
    Old Montemar

I went to the left side of the cove to take pictures. Curiousity got the better of me so I went further to see the site of Old Montemar. While I was there, I felt some small bites on my legs which I thought were the doing of mosquitoes (it was a little bit dark yet), but I couldn't see anything. When we got back to Montemar Resort, I told the nurse about my experience, and he said, most probably, I was bitten by "niknik" (sandflies). He advised me to immediately wash my legs with soap, and reminded me not to scratch the bites. I did just that, but the sores appeared days after, and they were so itchy. Despite hydrocortisone cream applied to the bite sores, I still felt itchy, and my legs were so unsightly with the red spots. I blame my insect repellant which didn't do its job of repelling insects, but I also blame myself for wandering into the farther left end of the cove, thus disturbing the sandflies which led to the biting.

Lessons:

1) If you can't resist your curiosity in exploring some areas during sunrise/sunset, aside from applying insect repellant, wear long sleeved shirts and jogging pants. (I wore shorts.) The nurse told me that the "niknik" proliferate only when it's a bit dark and they bite when disturbed.

2) If you're bitten on the exposed areas of your body, DON'T scratch because it will only spread the saliva of the sandflies that cause allergic reaction. Instead of scratching when itchy, gently rub with ice cube or apply cold icepack.

3) If you see signs of allergic reaction on the bites, take antihistamine immediately aside from applying hydrocortisone cream.

Coconut Beetles!

by cyndymc Written Sep 28, 2009
    Coconut Beetle

When we were going to the beach, my grandson (who always runs ahead of us) stopped by the huts under the coconut trees, then motioned to us not to pass that way. I thought he saw ants, but what he discovered was unexpected: coconut beetles on the grass! He said there were so many of them on the grass, and most looked dead (I wonder why?), but he saw one which was still alive though weak and had a broken leg. He picked it up (goodness!) to show us.

I remember a helper of my grandmother got bitten by a coconut beetle and he had to be brought to the hospital due to high fever after swelling of the bitten area... Given that, I suggest you avoid chairs or cabanas/huts that are below coconut trees.

Slippery Rocks & Deep Sea At The Right End of Cove

by cyndymc Updated Sep 28, 2009
    Low Tide At The Right End of Cove

During low tide, the right side of the cove bares quite a number of boulders/rocks beautifully scattered around, forming a natural rock garden. It is favorite place of photo hobbyists and curious tourists. The rockbed has interesting shallow pits/small ponds with small fish so children enjoy looking at them and sometimes, catching them. Children must be accompanied by an older person to guide them in walking on the slippery rocks, and to remind them not to go farther than the edge of the rockbed which, the lifeguard said, is deep. I

t is also advisable not to go there barefooted. Aquatic shoes or sandals with good traction would be ideal to prevent accidental slipping. But even with these footwear, it will be risky for you to succumb to the temptation of wading on the slippery rocks beneath the clear waters just to sit on the big boulders for a nice souvenir picture.

• Photography

• cyndymc's Profile Photo

The Sea Could Be Moody, So...

by cyndymc Written Sep 27, 2009
    Montemar's Swimmers' Guide

Obey your beach resort's guide to swimming at the beach. The sea was calm when we went there so it was a good day for swimming for everyone. However, the sea could be temperamental at times, and accidents could happen. It would be best to stay on the safe side. At Montemar, they have posted their swimmers' guide on the beachfront, with a colored banner indicating the state of the sea, namely: Green for Calm Sea, Good Swimming for Everybody; Yellow for Mild Sea, Good Swimmers Only; Red for Rough Sea, No Swimming for Everybody.

Instant Answers: Bagac

Comments

Bagac Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bagac warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bagac sightseeing.