Bohol Warnings and Dangers

My Husband & I Opted For This Way!
    Paved Ramp For The Physically-Challenged
    214-Steps Going Up

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Bohol

• simplytaj's Profile Photo

private cars for hire

by simplytaj Written Feb 26, 2013
    roadtrip around Bohol with 2new friends

be careful on hiring private vans or cars to take you around Bohol. Some of them will trick you on the amount they charge daily for 8hrs. You have to specify all details inclusive in the total amount you are paying. some charge you additional on gas and some cut off trips just to save gas. So be very specific and list down your destination for the day, pick up point and drop off points.

• Save your coins

by Boholdiver Written Feb 24, 2010

It is not a danger, but more of an annoyance. Keep lots of small change for taxis.

We came to a shopping mall and had only 500 peso bills to pay a driver 100 pesos. He ran inside to get us change. He came back and gave us back the 400 pesos. We were standing right beside his car, afterall.

If you ask a shopkeeper if they have change, most will make a face and say no. They're lying.

Flashfloods After Heavy Rains

by cyndymc Updated Nov 19, 2009

Please, please, don't go to Mag-aso Falls in Antequera just after heavy rains. Or, if your schedule has been fixed, please be extra careful and stay in the higher parts of the waterfalls park.

A photo buddy sent my husband an email with a link to the "Killer" Flashflood that occured in Mag-aso Falls. We had goose pimples and palpitations while viewing the video and pictures because we were on the same spots where the flashflood occured. If you view my Mag-aso Falls Travelogue, the place where my husband set up his tripod and camera and the site where my family had souvenir pictures where the exact places ravaged by the "killer" flashflood.

Secure your eyeglasses

by cyndymc Updated Jul 26, 2009

If you must wear corrective eyeglasses inside Hinagdanan Cave, be sure to secure your specs with eyeglass chain. I had the unfortunate experience of accidentally dropping my eyeglasses as I wiped my sweaty face, and it fell into a crevice in the cave floor. Luckily, we had a penlight and the crevice was wide enough for a hand to retrieve the eyeglasses.

• Eco-Tourism

Unexpected Droppings at Hinagdanan Cave

by cyndymc Updated Jul 26, 2009

There are many bats and birds inside Hinagdanan Cave. They usually roost on the cave ceiling and stalactites. Sometimes, they "greet" you with their droppings :(

If you don't want drippings to cling on your hair, wear a hat or scarf inside. Also, have a spare t-shirt ready in case the droppings hit you. Have wet wipes or bottled water ready to wipe out the droppings before they leave a foul smell on your hair or stain your clothes.

• Eco-Tourism

No elevators at Chocolate Hills View Deck

by cyndymc Written Mar 1, 2009

My Husband & I Opted For This Way!

I'm adding this info because a fellow VT'er posed the question if there was an elevator at the Chocolate Hills View Deck. Unfortunately, there's no elevator.

At Carmen View Deck, you have two options to climb the hill. The 214-step hill is actually easy to climb because the steps are small or called "baby steps" by some tourists because they are not high and wide enough for regular adult feet...If you are physically-challenged, you can take the paved slope going up instead of the stairs. My husband and I did just that, while my children and grandson took the stairs. There are "breaks" after so many steps; there are small waiting sheds/cottages where you can rest and take some pictures of Chocolate Hills after each "break".

Going down is easier; you can try the stairs or go the same way down.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Seniors

Avoid Public CRs

by cyndymc Written Jan 18, 2009

If you can help it, avoid using public comfort rooms (CRs) while on tour. The CRs at Mag-aso Falls and Punta Cruz Watch Tower were full of mosquitoes when we went there, but we couldn't hold our bladders so we didn't have any choice...My daughter was later confined at the hospital for treatment of dengue :(

Lessons learned- 1) Apply mosquito repellant even on your covered parts of the body. My daughter recalled how her thighs and buttocks were "attacked" by big mosquitoes before she could even pee; 2) Relieve yourself at the nearest clean restaurant or establishment even if you have to pay your way to the CR

Better safe than sorry!

by cyndymc Written Jan 18, 2009

It is a common thrill for tourists to buy fresh seafoods and have them cooked by the locals at Balicasag Island. Eating grilled fish/seafoods becomes more enjoyable with cold softdrinks BUT before you put ice on your softdrinks, THINK TWICE. Balicasag doesn't have its own water system yet. Water and ice are brought from Panglao and/or the City. You never know the source of the ice, and how it is transported. Of course, the locals will say the ice is safe, otherwise all tourists will have gotten sick...but to play safe, I suggest you skip the ice,anyway, most softdrinks sold there are kept in coolers. Your best bet is your bottled mineral/distilled water. But if you really want your drink with ice, ask yourself if you're willing to take the risk of having diarrhea or amoebiasis.

Another thing is the use of utensils. When we ate there, our utensils were dipped in boiling water, but to play safe, try to eat your meals ala-"kamayan" (eat with bare hands), anyway, you can always wash your hands with soap and water.

Better safe than sorry! It is so difficult to get sick while on vacation :(

• Simple Warnings

by donstruan Written May 24, 2007

The car and van drivers/owners belong to the same association. Its a union, I tell you! He he. Don't expect much lowering on prices, in fact, almost none. If one driver lowered, then more would, and prices would suffer. I have several business cards, all same printer and company. He he....

When we returned to Bohol Beach Club after snorkeling at Balicasag Island, the waves were treacherous in the late afternoon (we were last to return). I didn't mind, but the ladies sure did. Also, it is low tide at that time and the boat you use can't return to the beach. They will park in the deep end, and a smaller boat will get you. Be prepared to transfer boats, which is a little challenging for the faint of heart. Everybody made it.

Don't expect luxury treatment, lively parties, or superb accomodations and you will love Panglao. By now, you should have read enough reviews to know this. The place is just too small and isolated to be compared to Boracay, the Bahamas, and elsewhere.

• John6868's Profile Photo

Carry plenty of change.

by John6868 Written Jan 2, 2007

The only Business in Bohol that seemed to have any change was the Ice Cream seller on the beach. Eveyone else from shops, taxi drivers to restuarants struggled to find enough change.
    Although in some cases it might be a deliberate ploy to extract a big tip from you in many cases the money is simply not there.
    Make sure you have plany of change and smallish notes (100's) and don't expect anyone to change a 1000 peso note without putting up some sort of resistance.

Instant Answers: Bohol

Comments

Bohol Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Bohol warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bohol sightseeing.